1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mystery Ranch Big Horn

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by erazor983, Sep 14, 2009.

1. erazor983

erazor983 Empty Pockets

Hello everyone. Bit new around here so thought it was time to start posting.

My intention is to use this for a BoB, 2-3 day camping/hunting trips, and for long trips away from home. I'm generally not very hard on packs so I'm intending to buy a quality pack and keep it a very long time thus making the price a relative non-issue. From everything I've read Mystery Ranch makes some of the best packs around, plus the pictures and reviews on this forum alone ooze quality. I've also noticed there are more than a few pack "collectors" around here so I thought this would be a good place to ask some questions about this particular pack.

- From what I've read it's the same design as the Big Sky pack, yet it weighs in at over a pound more. Is this due to heavier duty materials or some other internal design change?

- Does anyone have experience with travelling by air with this size of pack? Is it small enough for carry-on use?

- While i'm not a big fan of coyote brown I am having trouble deciding between it, foliage, and the multi-cam scheme. Any worldly advice on colors for a multi-purpose bag like this?

Thanks for filling up these forums with great info. I hope I can contribute in my own small ways in the future.

2. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I have no experience with either, but I have a Dragon Slayer and from the specs, I assume it has internal features that the Snap Dragon does not have. It has five pockets in the interior (two of them mesh), and a largish area of PALS webbing, too. It also has some PALS on the outside. Webbing isn't particularly heavy, but it does add up. Possibly the Big Horn is the same way compared to its civilian counterpart.

Mystery Ranch "foliage" is an honest gray. At least I can't see any green in it. I like that, but YMMV.

I'll post some pics of the Dragon Slayer in a few days.

EDIT: and welcome to EDCF!

3. secondstoryguy

secondstoryguy Empty Pockets

I have one on order and it should be here next week. They tell me the Bighorn is essentially a larger version of the 3 day pack, minus the radio harness. I'm buying it as a travel pack for some trips overseas this winter, it will compact down for carry on or you can stow the waistbelt and check it. I'll post some pics when it comes it.

4. secondstoryguy

secondstoryguy Empty Pockets

The UPS dude just dropped my new Mystery Ranch Big Horn off at the house. Since there are no pics of this pack on their website, I figured I'd post a quick review. I bought this pack for hunting and as a travel pack for an upcoming trip out of the states. I have Mystery Ranch's 3-day assault pack, which I carry to work everyday, and I figured this pack would be a nice larger addition to it. The Big Horn is quite a bit larger than the 3-day, as you can see in the pic, and with the addition of the "beavertail" it's can tote even more. This one is in Foliage green, which is a very nice grey-green color and seems to be light for pack of this size.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/secondstoryguy/DSC02311.jpg[/img]
    Here's the pack next to my black MR 3-day assault pack.

[img width=480 height=640]http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/secondstoryguy/DSC02313.jpg[/img]
    Here's a closeup of the pack with the "beavertail" folded down. The beavertail has baffles/pleats and light plastic stiffeners which allow it to balloon out and "cup" clothing or gear that's being carried. There are also two horizontal straps with ratchet buckles that let you compress down the pack when empty.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/secondstoryguy/DSC02314.jpg[/img]
    If you've seen the inside of a MR 3-day pack, you'll be familiar with this one. There are some slight differences: no radio harness, and only one row of MOLLE just above the hydration pocket. Another difference is while there are two small slots for hydration tubing, there are no other zippered openings like the 3-day has.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/secondstoryguy/DSC02317.jpg[/img]
    Top pocket. This pack only has one large pocket on the top lid.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/secondstoryguy/DSC02316.jpg[/img]
    MR's super comfortable and adjustable harness. There are a few rows of MOLLE on the waist belt which tucks away into the pack for travel or lighter loads.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/secondstoryguy/DSC02315.jpg[/img]
    Belt tucked away into it's own pocket for travel or lighter loads...very neat.

5. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Loaded Pockets

I've got a Multicam Big Sky, which I purchased at least in part because I didn't know what the Big Horn was about due to the lack of photos. In retrospect, it appears this is the pack I should've ordered. I like the additional internal organization and would really like the bottom compression and carry straps for my iso mat.

6. Black Phoenix

Black Phoenix Loaded Pockets

MR needs to post some pics of that bag on its site, nice pack.

I currently have the 3DAP and love it but I think my next pack will be this one, 1,000 more cu in of storage will make it a lot easier to pack for longer trips. The Dragon Slayer is really nice too though, too many nice packs to buy, too little money. :mad:

7. erazor983

erazor983 Empty Pockets

Thanks very much for the update secondstoryguy. While I don't think I'll go with the foliage green, this at least looks like the pack I'll be getting.

8. Pardner

Pardner Loaded Pockets

Any long term comments on the Big Horn? Any comment on travelling with it? Thanks

9. patches152

patches152 Loaded Pockets

love the pix, that is something many sites lack: real world lighting. i know a lot of people don't make a big deal about color, but for some reason it always bothers me when i see the packs on the sites, and then i see a picture or one IRL and it looks totally different. not even like batch differences.

as far as the pack choice, MR, maxped, 5.11 and kifaru all come highly recommended by a few of my buddies in military and law branches. they all swear by those brands.