1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mystery Ranch ASAP review - the quest for a perfect EDC pack

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by PiterM, Feb 8, 2014.

1. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

i have looked at the entire line up from mystery ranch and there are 2 things missing...where is the 24 or 25 liter asap and the 29 or 30 liter dragon slayer..i am 5'9"/160 lbs/slim athletic build and i cannot carry the basics i need for year round cycling in a bag that is under 20 liters and i would like to have bag for hiking and hunting that comes in right at 30 liters...if i have to carry a 35 or 40 liter bag around with me it better have wheels and a handle...

so i ordered a kifaru zippy today and i will order a x-ray next week..

2. Lane DeCamp

Lane DeCamp Loaded Pockets

The vertical zipper closes to a position well up under the lid, so everything is nicely weatherproof. I haven't had anything inside get wet yet. The vertical zipper flap actually creates a double seal against rain, so it does better than most packs in the wet.

3. Lane DeCamp

Lane DeCamp Loaded Pockets

This really isn't a pack made for cycling. I race track and have used this pack a couple times riding to a restaurant near a track for some lunch. It's made for load carrying and stability, and cycling needs something else. Get a backpack designed for cycling -- check out Mission Workshop. You'll find that the Kifaru's tend to slide around when riding a bike -- they were designed around a vertical position and aren't quite as stable when scrambling in the sand as a Mystery Ranch or even a Goruck (I don't think of the Goruck as a real tactical or work pack, but I'd rather be doing a sand or mud scramble with a Goruck than a Kifaru).

4. PiterM

PiterM Loaded Pockets

I'd not recommend MR for cycling. I use my ASAP for cycling from time to time, but it's not perfect. Why? It's too big! I tend to put too much stuff in it because there is plenty of space, and later I have to carry all that stuff when biking. So I'd prefer something sized 10-12 L for biking. Recently I use my HPG Tarahumara for biking and couldn't be happier. Tactical cycling, yeah. I know that there are many nice cycling packs, but most of them look just too :censored:, too colorful, too non-tactical... just not for me. Really, try Tarahumara, great biking bag! And the harness is very comfortable for this kind of activities. I don't care what's the official size of Tara, for me it's about 60% the volume of ASAP and that is exactly what i need!

5. Firemission

Firemission Loaded Pockets

Assoc;
    Cool! You finally pulled the trigger. Cheers! ;)Enjoy the pack.

6. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

you must bike lite...my goruck sd15 isn't big enough for my stuff so i am looking to upgrade to something in the 24 liter range...

7. assoc

assoc Loaded Pockets

For biking I use an Osprey manta 28. Fantastic pack for biking.

8. PiterM

PiterM Loaded Pockets

No, I just take bigger loads on my bike, into biking panniers.