1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My wife is going to India, and I could use some advice.

Discussion in 'Travel' started by GreatBlueWhale, Dec 26, 2009.

1. GreatBlueWhale

GreatBlueWhale Loaded Pockets

My wife will be traveling to India to partcipate in a medical mission. Do any of you have any advice for EDC for her? They will be spending the majority of their time holding clinics in small villages. She has to carry a meal for mid-day. I'm going to have her try some Mountain House pouch meals to see what she likes. I'll be putting together a FAK for her trip. Any suggestions there would be welcome. They'll have bottled water to drink, but I'm going to include a water filter in her kit. She's limited to one personal suitcase which also has to contain the food she's taking, one for medicines they are taking with them, and her carry-on, which will probably be the backpack she'll need for daily use there.
    We have all the standard "don't drink the water, eat only cooked food" advice, and she's going with a team of doctors that have been before. They will be doing very little, if any sightseeing, but will be hiking into the villages. Never having traveled out of the U.S.A., I don't even have good questions. Sorry for the ramble. Any help appreciated.
    Joe

2. vivek16

vivek16 Loaded Pockets

diarrhea meds, mosquito repellent/netting/coils, a hat, good shoes (they'll get very dirty), maybe some water purification tablets along with the filter.

I grew up in India so I have some first hand experience.  Those mosquitoes are a plague.

-vivek

P.S. What part of India?

3. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

The best drinks are unopened soft drinks and bottled water, if the drink comes in a glass or the bottle has been opened beware. In Cafes and restaurants it is best to ask for drinks to be unopened, and of course avoid ice.Salads are also an excellent way of contracting dysentry
    so avoid them too.
    A sun hat is good and for the mosquitoes an equivalent of the SAS mossy net is excellent, you slide in like a sleeping bag almost and much easier to manage than a full size job. http://www.safariquip.co.uk/acatalog/Mosquito_Nets.html 10th item down on the link page, particularly good for hiking.
    Toilet paper is handy too as Indians don't use it in villages.

4. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, May 27, 2012
  5. GreatBlueWhale

Thanks for the replies. She's going to Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. I think I'm going to get her a Steri-pen, too. Haven't picked up any tabs, yet. She has a power adapter. She uses a piece of medical equipment that she has to run at night.

6. TNRat

TNRat Loaded Pockets

Two flashlights and spare batteries.
    A larger SAK of her choice that will need to be in her checked baggage.
    A Classic SAK that will also need to be in her checked baggage.

My mother was there in 1998 and it was quite an experience for her. She has been all over the world but I think she holds that place dear to her heart since she has some good friends there.

7. Herbie

Herbie Empty Pockets

Here's one you may not think of: Nail clippers and a file.

Seriously. She should keep her nails short and clean at all times. Many meals in India are eaten largely with the hands and no utensils. Clean hands are obvious, but it is hard to "wash" under fingernails (especially long nails) on-the-fly. I highly recommend keeping the nails trimmed very short so that the area can be washed easily. Food-borne illness IS preventable!

8. TNRat

TNRat Loaded Pockets

The nail post is an excellent one, but that reminds me to also recommend the sporks. A couple or three cost little, and are very light.

9. Mitty

Mitty Loaded Pockets

Re FAK the team may be carrying these anyway, but a Sam Splint (http://www.sammedical.com/sam_splint.html) and an Ace bandage could both come in handy for hiking/sprains. India is a familiar destination for us because my wife is involved with a mission organization that works there. One time, I spent 2 weeks pushing her around in a wheel chair after she broke a small bone in her foot. Another thing that is not commonly used there are the lightweight fiberglass type casts. Generally the hospitals and doctors only have the heavy plaster and the fiberglass is "special order, please wait" if available at all. So, again, depending on what her team is carrying and how prepared you want to be, one or two of the lightweight casting kits might be worth having. They are small and weigh nothing.

If packing becomes a problem, cut down on clothes. They can easily be bought cheaply in-country and donated or discarded for the trip home. I would not count on being able to easily buy good hiking shoes there, however.

10. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Forget soft drinks. She will need electrolytes. I recommend EmergenC - it comes in thin foil envelopes that you mix in to water. Definitely have her try it prior to her trip. Some people don't respond well to it.

:iagree: Probably some Moist Towelettes, as well.

Pepto Bismol - two tablets three times daily. It will prevent problems from developing should she contract any new bacteria. New bacteria isn't necessarily bad or harmful, often it's just different and, until her body adjusts to it, may make her absolutely miserable. It will also help prevent indigestion from spicy foods. I would strongly recommend the new mint flavor! I gag a little when I think about the old cherry flavor. :green:

Gold Bond Powder - good for any chafing or dermititis that may develop. Also very useful for drying feet.

11. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Empty Pockets

I would recommend a Katadyn Exstream XR water bottle. You can just fill it and drink from it without worries about water quality -- it's supposed to filter down to the virus level. Trail running shoes would be a good but light weight option instead of hiking boots. Also, remember things that dry well for wet weather and also something (hat or umbrella) for the sun. The trick will be taking what she needs but not having so much stuff that she needs help to carry it all.

12. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

I wish I was a international travler and had some solid advise for you, however ask your doctors and the consulate. Ask your doctors if they can prescribe some medicine for montazuemas revenge (the runs, hershey squirts, or what ever you want to call it) that you can pre fill and have with her before she leaves, and anything the doctor recommends. It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Use precautions so she is not sick throught her trip. Maybe a generac face mask in her luggage and some exam gloves just incase. If not prescription definately imodium, asprin, ambsol bandaids you know the drill if you are an EDC'er

Just remember that third world countries generally have poor hygene. Carry more than enough antibactrial wipes for your trip, or if it is for an extedded stay, have family or friends continue to mail them to you unless you can find them there.

Drink from bottles when you can and wipe them down well before you drink from them, don't wipe the bottles with a wet cloth (same bad water). Order your food well done, dont use the ice unless it is from a known filtered source like in a name brand hotel like sheridan etc... Carry a user friendly water filter if possible. Bring an ice cube tray if you get a small refridge/freezer in your hotel room (you can filter water for your own ice cubes.

As always be aware of your surroundings try to be compliant with local laws, maybe a small SAK generac folder (not in carry on luggage).

Tell her good luck

13. Mike V

Mike V Loaded Pockets

Lomotil
    Maxalon
    Good mosquito repellant (e.g. high level of DEET).
    Plug-in mosquito repellant (heater) with insecticide mats for use when sleeping.
    Good Hat
    Good shoes or boots.
    Good sunglasses.
    Good sunscren.
    Hand sanitiser or pocket packet of wipes.
    Small torch.

14. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Liner sheets for sleeping in iffy hotels beds.

15. morituri

morituri Loaded Pockets

Good advice all around here. Just wanted to remind you, if you're packing food for her, do be aware of local sensitivities. So, no beef.

16. starless

starless Empty Pockets

I really think you'd be asking for trouble by drinking water that was only filtered -
    my understanding is that filters won't get rid of viruses at all.

17. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Go with bottled / boiled water and learn to do without ice. If your wife needs something cold, she can chill it in a freezer or fridge if one is available.

starless is right. Most filters can't get rid of all viruses. Here is a decent explanation of filtration limits (Scroll down to the "Filtration" heading). Filtration removes sediment, debris, bacteria, and larger viruses. You can boil water, add a chem treatment, or use UV light (such as the Steri-Pen) to complete the process.

18. urbandaddy

urbandaddy Loaded Pockets

Baby wipes! We stayed at a hotel which gave out wipes that had a lime smell to them. They were great for freshening up when you felt hot and dusty.
    Coconuts are a great way to drink safely in a pinch and they can be found everywhere in shops and markets. They also supply necessary nutrients which are lost from dehydration or diarrhea .
    Remember most people suffer from severe dehydration more often than parasites. The heat can get to you much quicker than parasites. So stay hydrated. Enjoy its an amazing place.

19. 1holegrouper

1holegrouper Loaded Pockets

unless she is staying in a fancy hotel genre whole time she will need to being her own toilet paper

20. GreatBlueWhale

Thanks for all the advice. She has returned without incident. She was fortunate to be traveling with several who had made the trip before. Also, the in-country contact took very good care of them, insuring bottled water and proper food preparation for the entire trip. Of all the things she took, she was most glad of the toilet paper!