1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My vehicle FAK

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Safety1st, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Hi Gary. When we had our "breakfast meeting" at the Cafe in Glossop, I thought the ambulance blanket was an especially good idea, especially since you told me you'd lost a good few coats over the years that have gone with the casualty to hospital.
    I DID put a kit in my car, after our USN meet based around a Stanley Tool Organizer tote, but as Im always doing, it came out again to be tweaked, isn't finished yet and hasn't gone back in the boot yet.

Safety1st and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  2. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I stopped to help at a pedestrian RTA a year or two back and (other than gloves) the foil blanket was the only thing I had that was of the slightest use. (Head injury, casualty just about conscious, did primary and secondary survey, kept her still, warm, responding and calm, and waited anxiously for something with blue lights on it to show up!)

The cloth blankets are probably better but I haven't the space to spare, and if I'm going to wave goodbye to something then I'd rather it was £2 than about £15

Last edited by PragmaticMurphyist, Sep 15, 2019
    #22 PragmaticMurphyist, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  3. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

I here you about losing the blankets. LOL. I dealt with a fentanyl OD in our parking lot a couple years ago. I had one of those grey wool emergency blankets and the paramedics took it with them when they loaded the patient into the weewoo buggy. I realized it as I was packing my kit away after clearing the scene. :bye:

4. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Loaded Pockets

I think it must be a regional thing, because our local ALS providers absolutely do not place C-Spine precautions based solely on mechanism. C-spine precautions are fading from popularity, since studies show they are nearly as likely to harm the patient as help them. C-collars and backboards are used very infrequently these days compared to 20 years ago, at least around here.

5. ffmedic245

ffmedic245 Loaded Pockets

Yes I'm sure it's a local protocol issue. We still use c-collars frequently; however, we hardly ever use full backboards any more and instead tend to use vacuum mattresses if anything at all.

Jedi5150 likes this.