1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

my turn 4 a light, listening to your experience

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by swampinboy, Apr 17, 2010.

1. swampinboy

swampinboy Loaded Pockets

Ok, I have shopped around enough to get confused and frustrated. What I am looking for is a tough little pocket light for edc. I want it small, will be lanyarded to keys, good looking, well built, and durable. I don't care about special features, or loads of blinding light (save those for by bag light, next purchase and post). Let me know what you think, thx

1) Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for? pocket edc

3) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest!

[x ] $15-30
    [x ] $40-60
    [x ] $80-$120

4) Format:
    PART A
    [x ] I want a flashlight.

PART B
    Length:
    [x ] 1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
    [x ] 2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)

PART C
    Width:
    [x ] I prefer a long narrow light.

6) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.
    [x ] I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
    [ ] I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
    [ ] I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

10) Durability: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.
    [x ] Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
    [x ] Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

11) Switch Type:
    [x ] one that doesn't come on by itself in pocket.

12) Switch Location:
    [ x] I don't care, protected end, rotating head, not critical.

2. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, May 27, 2012
  3. swampinboy

I was looking at the preon (will the clip come off and is there a place for a ring/lanyard) and the fenix E01 and LD01... tooooo many choices!!! I am soooo confused

4. MedXLT

MedXLT Empty Pockets

Fenix LD01

I have not found a better light that I would want on my keychain. For me, ALL of the 123A (Quark Mini/Fenix PD20) and AA (Nitecore EZAA) lights that I have tried for this purpose are too big and make my keys feel heavy and bulky. The LD01 is small, BRIGHT, tough, easily switches between 3 output levels (85 lumen max) and no SOS/Strobe settings that I never use.

5. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

For the 'common battery,' and 'long narrow' you aren't going to beat a Preon II. It is usually the first light I go to for around the house use and general daily illumination. You wont have much for throw, but it has a great spill.

6. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

7. AcesQ

AcesQ Loaded Pockets

My suggestion will be Fenix LD01. Should be 85 lumens max if not mistaken.

8. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I vote for the Preon as well. The clip is removable and the clip also has a lanyard hole.

9. swampinboy

thanks soli, now I have even more to look at! only way I see to solve the issue of which one to get is just order one of each, lol Ok, getting serious I am liking the Maratac and the LD01.

10. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

11. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

Whoops, Preon I.

12. robbobus

robbobus Loaded Pockets

For a keychain light AA is big I find, that said my Quark ti mini AA is excellent. Other battery choices CR2, CR123 will open up an amazing world of choices though.

13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Clip won't come off. I've been EDCing a Preon II with Preon I tailcap for a couple of weeks now. Other than the hole in the clip itself, there is no other spot where you can attach a keyring or lanyard.

Fenix E01 is designed for ruggedness and runtime. Not output. Think of it as a tougher version of a Maglite Solitaire with an LED that never needs replacing, but with the same type of dim output.

The LD01 is nice. Can easily do the same job as a much larger flashlight, but in a smaller package. The iTP EOS A3 has the same three modes as a Fenix LD01, but is even shorter, and less expensive. If you'd like to keep the LD01's tail-standing capability, there's the Maratac version of the iTP light. (Sold only at County Comm.)

14. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

15. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

If you get Preon I cannot recommend the clicky switch. Get twisty. The clicky switch is way too soft.

16. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

No.

Also, as Lord Bear pointed out, the reverse-clickie switch can be a bit too sensative for switching modes. It's one reason why I'm using my Preon II as a twist-only light, with the Preon I tailcap installed.

17. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

The clip for the Preon 1 and 2 does come off and is replaceable with a small ring for a split-ring/keyring attachment. I know, because I have the keyring attachment sitting in front of me right now.

18. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I looked through the box that my black Preon kit came in. Found the very item you're talking about. Ironically, when I first opened the box, I honestly wasn't sure what that little item was. Thanks for the info.

That's another one for you, carrot. :)

19. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Personally, I do really like the clicky on my Preon. I do find it sometimes accidentally activates but the click action on it is very satisfying.

If you want the clicky, and want to lower the chance of accidental activation, you can dismantle it by unscrewing the retaining ring and take out the metal cap. Put back the retaining ring and you can still use it as a clicky, although its water-resistance may be lowered. The rubber boot that sits below the metal cap is also not designed to be exposed, so take more care to not damage it although it sits flush with the retaining ring and should be mostly protected. I believe this would probably void your warranty as far as the clicky switch goes, so this is at your own risk.

To those who have the clicky switch but do not use it at all, you may want to try this as the clicky is useless to you anyway.

20. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

I put the clicky on the Preon 2 for use at home. Counter, table, nightstand. The twisty went onto Preon 1 for the pack I always take when I leave home. The clicky works fine as long as it's not in pocket. Talk about hot pockets! LOL