1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on purchasing a new bag

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by twogunmojo, May 10, 2014.

1. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

i began looking at mystery ranch after i saw the asap review from piterm...i have been looking to downsize after i realized that the smart alec i bought was just too big and i realized that i wanted more access to the contents without having to hobo dump the bag looking for items that settled to the bottom...as a compromise i bought a goruck sd15 since the asap is only 3 liters larger in size because i wanted to see how small a bag i could use...the sd15 is a great bag but it would be best described as "light edc"...not in terms of weight you can pack in it but in the amount of stuff...if the temp is above 70 and the weather is good you can pack all you need for an all day bike ride..a full change of clothes including shoes/small toiletries/small can of fixaflat but if you need to pack a rain jacket and hat and merino wool short sleeve shirt along with the other stuff forget about it...

now mystery ranch has its new line up for pre-order and the only thing i see missing is something that fits right in between the asap and the 3dap/snapdragon..a 24 or 25 liter bag for edc...

tom bihn is raising prices on almost everything by as much as 100% on some smaller items and they only have 2 back packs that are the size i am looking for but i already bought and sold my smart alec so that leaves the synapse 25 which is currently on back order till mid june for all colors...

so after much research and lots of reading of reviews i have decided on the zippy (not the urban zippy) in typhon for edc and an x-ray in typhon with everything except grommets for my hunting/fishing/backwoods "get out of town" bag...

all comments are welcome..as always thanks for looking...

2. ambaal

ambaal Loaded Pockets

My comment is: "Wow, he's rich".
    If you can afford Kifaru - go for Kifaru, hardly any non-monetary regrets await this way.

Now, that said, if you are after 24-25 litre pack which is 3-zip design, you might look at Blackhawk Yomp. Hot weather compatibility due to tensioned mesh back design and some questionable business practices will come as an option.

3. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

you don't have to be rich to buy quality..it just depends on whether or not you can justify the expense...a 500.00 bag that only sees use once or twice a year over 10 years costs you 50 a year..i cannot justify that type of cash layout for a bag but the same bag used everyday will only cost you 1.00 a day over the first 500 days of use or the first 17 months...

steeps likes this.
  4. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

i checked them out and it appears that the only thing that they have that is made in the u.s.a are pouches..the original title of my post was "mystery ranch/why i am buying kifaru" but it got changed for some reason..

i would have loved to buy mystery ranch but i cannot find anything in the line up either the made in the u.s.a stuff or the new overseas production line that fits the bill...

kifaru has the zippy at 24.58 liters and the x-ray at 29.50 liters...the former without a frame and the latter with...i would have loved to see mystery ranch with a larger asap at 24 or 25 liters and a smaller dragon slayer at 29 or 30 liters and configured the same way one without a frame and one with...all of these bags could be expanded with the addition of long pockets or what have you..

i only had 2 options with the tom bihn smart alec and while i loved the upper and lower pockets they didn't help with organizing the inside..both the zippy and x-ray have bladder pockets that double as laptop pockets if you need them to...up to at least a 15 inch with padded carrier..

5. Pord

Pord Loaded Pockets

For example?