1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My RMJ Mini Jenny Wren

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Dingle1911, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

For Christmas I bought myself an RMJ Mini Jenny Wren. This is my first tomahawk.

I have only played with it a little so far. I hacked at a dead pine tree and an old fence. As expected the Mini Jenny is small and light so it takes some work to cut when compared larger hatchets. The front edge came shaving sharp.

I hit a few nails when hacking at the fence post. The edge rolled slightly and had a very small chip. I was able to straighten it back out. I did not spend enough time to take the edge down to completely get rid of the chip. The lesson is don't hit nails.

The sheath is what makes the hawk worth the money in my opinion. On the low ride belt loops it just hangs off your belt and flexes out of the way when you move or site down. Sheath ejection is easy and very satisfying.

I would recommend RMJ to anyone who wants a solid hawk/sheath package. Feel free to ask any questions.

Pictures for good measure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ethos, Ray Loftis, Nick4305 and 4 others like this.
  2. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Congrats!! That is pretty cool.

3. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the pics! I want a hammer poll version very much. At some point the stars will align and one will come up for sale at a time when I have $500 burning a hole in my pocket and a good excuse to give my wife as to why I totally need a $500 tomahawk hahaha. Cheers!

Moshe ben David likes this.
  4. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Great company and great bunch of guys. I've been in their facility and you can tell they care about what they do.

5. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Looks good and pretty handy !

6. Ray Loftis

Ray Loftis Loaded Pockets

That's awesome. I can barley warrant carrying around a 8" fixed knife. Lol
    Love to have that strapped to my side .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

I know I'm sorta digging up an old thread but local webshop has just aqcuired Jenny Wrens and I'm kinda tempted. Yes, the price is ridiculouss but..

Hence, OP - or others - could you spare a moment and tell how yours has been and if your impressions are still the same?

The other one I'm pondering about is Tops's Microhawk, so any views/experience on that one also appreciated

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Dingle1911

@Mark_Trail - No worries, I love talking about gear. I am not sure what you want to do with the hawk. My only RMJ is the Mini Jenny Wren so I cannot speak for the other products.

I mostly use mine for camping and playing around chopping stuff. The hawk carries great. I wear it on my belt on the side with the rubber loops. The sheath/carry system really make the package worth it in my opinion.

Because the Mini Jenny is so compact and carries well it does not have a lot of weight to chop. It will get the job done, but may require more work on your end. For camp chores and processing firewood for an evening I think it does fine. But it is obviously not the tool to make a wood pile of processed wood for the winter. If you want to use a hawk in more of an extended session I may step up to the full size jenny. I would imagine the Tops Microhawk would carry very well, but I am not sure how well you could chop with it.

The finish is showing wear with use, maybe a little quicker than I would like, but now I am not afraid to use it more. I rolled and chipped the edge on a nail once. The hawk was very easy to sharpen. Mine will shave the hair on my arm and as long as I just chop wood the edge has held up well. I am no expect, but I can throw it as well.

What else do you want to know?

Mark_Trail likes this.
  9. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

^
    Thanks a bunch mate!

My use case would also be something similar, light work, ease of carry, effectiveness, usability, durability and not drawing attention being main drivers. Things that one might - to a decree - achieve with Hudson Bay, Bowie or kukri as well.

For heavier stuff I use a proper axe or my Cold Steel Trailhawk

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Dingle1911

I hiked all around the mountain wearing mine on my belt and no one seemed to notice. We passed many day hikers with their dog and I didn't see any of them staring at the hawk. The mini fits so easily in bags, it is just a handy hawk to own. Also my communication with RMJ staff was always prompt and friendly.

Mark_Trail likes this.