1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My personal "Noisy Cricket"

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by John Frederick, Sep 13, 2008.

1. John Frederick

John Frederick Loaded Pockets

Here are some pics of my North American Arms Pug. Please note that the oversize Rosewood grips have been reduced in size by at least 25% from what NAA sells. I ground them down on a belt sander and refinished them with Orange Glow Furniture Polish. I also took some jeweler's files to the Pug and gave it a light dehorning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. c22m22c

c22m22c Loaded Pockets

that's a gorgeous little pistol. :)

3. ericb445

ericb445 Loaded Pockets

NICE.
    I have been wanting one of these for a while now. I just wonder about the small caliber. Will this Stop a Bad Guy.
    -Eric

4. John Frederick

That's always going to be a debatable question because the answer will always be dependent on each situation. The .22 mag is probably not going to expand but rather penetrate all the way through the BG. If you can manage a head or CNS shot it should be "game over".
    This little baby probably won't intimidate anyone based on looks alone but the threat of being shot should discourage most. I bet there's a fair chance that someone seeing it could mistake it for a toy, however I don't plan on holding anyone at bay with it. I can tell you that anyone around you when you shoot it will think you just touched off a .357 ;D

5. surespyder

surespyder Empty Pockets

I've always wanted one of those too. Looks good with the rosewood!

6. mstoffo

mstoffo Empty Pockets

Very nice, nice work you did on it. I have the NAA 22 revolver but by comparison thats super cool

7. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

are those xsights or look alikes

8. John Frederick

Those are the genuine article. NAA offers the Pug with XS regular dots, with or w/o tritium.

9. ericb445

ericb445 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the explanation, I was hoping you didn't get affended with my question, I was hoping to learn a few things. This why I love this website full of great people.

10. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

Cause you better hit the head

Beautifiul.

11. DetroitMatt

DetroitMatt Empty Pockets

I love those little guns and have been thinking about getting one for a long time. Congrats and nice work on the customizations. It looks factory perfect.
    As far as is it enough to stop a bad guy? My personal opinion on that is this is an EDC forum and that means everyday carry. If you're committed to carrying something everyday, then you are much more likely to carry a little piece like this without complaint. Carrying a .45 everyday takes a lot more commitment. And that leads me to the famous saying: "a .22 in the pocket is better than a .45 left in the night-stand." The key to using a small caliber gun is to practice with it like crazy so you can use it to its fullest potential, God forbid you ever have to use it.

12. surespyder

surespyder Empty Pockets

True, but when I could, I carried a Glock 23 with 14 .40 155 gr ProLoad rounds as my EDC. :)

13. dsd5150

dsd5150 Loaded Pockets

+1 For the NAA Minis! I alternate between the .22mag; mirror polished and de-horned by yours truly with elk grips or the Kel-tec P3AT with Crimson Trace laser installed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. John Frederick

Beautiful NAA Mini-Mag! I plan to polish mine eventually.

15. handcannon

handcannon Loaded Pockets

:censored: makes wish I had not sold mine now..

16. bouncer

bouncer Loaded Pockets

Those are sweet !

I wouldn't count on a one shot stop but if I had any firearm for self defense I wouldn't rely on a one shot stop. keep shooting and place them well. Most crooks look for easier targets if your armed they will most likely leave if they feel they can even a little hole is still a hole.Nobody wants to have bullets tear into them. :evilgrin:

17. KenpoTex

KenpoTex Loaded Pockets

While I would never carry anything like that as my primary/only gun, the pug with the XS sights is kinda cool.

18. peacefuljeffrey

I find triggers like that kinda terrifying. Because they are unguarded, and the travel from not-firing to firing is like what, a millimeter or two, I can't see how that kind of gun could ever be more than a novelty to possibly fire at the range. But for self defense? Nuh-uh. Not me, anyway.

19. KenpoTex

KenpoTex Loaded Pockets

I agree, I'm also not a fan of the idea of using rim-fire ammo for SD purposes. I've seen too many "duds," even with the better quality stuff (CCI, etc.) to be comfortable with it.

20. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter Loaded Pockets

My Dear Friends,

As a longtime NRA-Certified Pistol Instructor with ten years' experience working at a gun store I have a few thoughts to contribute here.

I carried a NAA .22 Magnum revolver for years as a deep-concealment backup. They're perfectly safe as long as you read the manual - the hammer rests in a notch on the cylinder, not on the back of a live round, and the handgun is cocked only immediately before firing, making lack of a trigger guard and the trigger travel distance moot point for carry purposes.

I shot mine at the range extensively and never suffered a misfire. Accuracy was ridiculously good for such a small handgun with even smaller sights and a short sight radius - seven yard (practical gunfight distance) groups averaged about two inches center-to-center with decent ammo. Recoil was negligible, so follow-up shots were quite manageable.

Certainly such a small handgun isn't my first choice for a self-defense weapon, but it beats being unarmed by a wide margin. Many times I would tuck it into a pocket holster when I didn't have the time or feel the need to deal with a larger handgun. The .22 Magnum might not be a reliable manstopper but has better terminal ballistics than you might think, and the answer to it allegedly not being capable of a one-shot stop is to fire it again. And again, if need be, which is kind of the point of having more than one round on board.

All in all, I consider the NAA Mini-Revolvers some of the best deep-concealment handguns available.

------------
    Hannibal