1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My old Daisy Powerline 881

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by sol92258, Jan 11, 2016.

1. sol92258

sol92258 Loaded Pockets

Elation. That would be an accurate enough term for my evening last night...

Just had to share with folks who may appreciate the story. Received this air rifle probably around elementary school age one Christmas from my dad. Been a great BB gun, but with age (and long periods on non-use), comes degradation. But it was a great BB gun.

Thanksgiving break, out with the wife and kids, went to Tractor Supply to look around. Son found an air rifle he liked. Wife and I went back the next day, sans offspring, and grabbed said bb gun. Wife noticed the the pink one sitting next to it, and liked it. Okay, so now son will have one, wife is getting one, well obviously now the daughter has to have one, says my wife. So, looking around, found a nice camo one.

Christmas day, we all go out and set up some cans and cardboard boxes and get to shooting, wife and son with their new Crosman's, daughter with her new Daisy, and me with my Red Rider my wife got me for Christmas two years ago. So they're firing away, making nice loud (for air rifle) pops. My little Red Rider, although accurate as all get out, just isn't as powerful, makes me wish my old Powerline 881 was still good.

Which, then, caused me to do some research that afternoon.

Ahh! Rebuild/restore kits! Sweet! (kit = basically two larger 0-rings, a smaller o-ring, and foam "wiper" ring, and a plastic "hat" shaped thing)

So, order, receive order, fire up youtube, and get to work. Too excited, didn't watch 13 minute video all the way through, so I replaced the two larger o-rings, couldn't figure out where smaller went, brushed it off as maybe it's for slightly different models; ignored the plastic piece, as the one in it still looked fine, reassembled and went out and "ptooey". It at least projected the bb, instead of just letting it roll out the barrel.

Hmmm.

So, I figure maybe I needed to replace the hat looking thingie. It'll wait awhile....

Fast forward to "awhile", which was last night.

Took back apart, replaced "hat" thingie, but while I was there, I noticed a nut I hadn't before (took it apart further this time). Hmmmm.....but it's under all the trigger mechanisms, that looks like a nightmare to deal with. Back to video....

Well, that's not so bad. Removed trigger parts, removed aforementioned nut, ah-ha! That's where small o-ring goes. Replaced, reassembled, went back outside, and

POW!!

Heck yeah! Through both sides of the cardboard box and into the woods behind.

Always a good feeling to accomplish something successfully, even better when sentimental value is attached. Was so stoked I made everyone come out and see :D

Then got supper cooking, and in between I'd go out and shoot a few more rounds.

Yep, elation.

No, not as good as the newer models out, especially the break barrels (which I've got my eye on), but still.

I still need to take it back apart and sand/refinish the barrel shroud and receiver box, but that'll be later.

nosuchagency, Dorian, adnj and 6 others like this.
  2. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek Loaded Pockets

Never too old to enjoy a good BB gun.

Dorian, Corgi, beast and 2 others like this.
  3. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Wow, this sounds like a winner on many levels: family shooting together, kids learning how to use guns, Dad refurbishing a childhood gift, etc. Good on you!

Dorian, Corgi and sol92258 like this.
  4. beast

beast EDC Junkie

You got that right![​IMG]

5. Corgi

Corgi EDC Junkie

Might be interesting to saw the stock off, could be a cool mare's leg bb gun...

beast and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  6. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Nice story. What would we do without YouTube?

Corgi and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  7. sol92258

sol92258 Loaded Pockets

Make a lot of mistakes through trial and error...
    Have much more free time...
    Have no idea if anybody's got time for dat...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

8. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I like that. I loved my BB guns but they are long gone now.

9. Grumpy521

Grumpy521 Loaded Pockets

Not to hijack, sort of, but I have to!!! I just got this back from being retored. It was my great grandfather's. I hadn't seen it in almost 40 years. I learned to shoot with it. The old coot would pay me a dime for every starling cleaned out of the barn. It was sent to me last month by a great aunt who remembered my fondness for it. It's like brand new and shoots like a dream. I'm still trying to pin down a production date but I'm sure it's pre 1970. It will sit along side my uncle's pre 1940 Red Rider when it gets back.
    [​IMG]

jps, sol92258, ran23 and 1 other person like this.
  10. beast

beast EDC Junkie

That would be pretty cool!

Cobra 6 Actual and Corgi like this.