1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My new Vanquest Trident 20

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Captain35, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Captain35

Captain35 Empty Pockets

Hello, this is my first post here. took a bit for admin approval so I thought I'd finally chime in.

Recently my generic messenger bag finally wore through which started my quest for a new EDC bag which would house my work laptop and other EDC items. I purchased a North Face Surge which I really liked. It has a really well thought out admin section, great fleece lined phone/tablet pouches, an excellent lined sunglass pouch on the top and plenty of space for laptop and other large personal items, however I found it was just a tad too big for my on the go needs and it didn't have quite enough places to quickly attach gear to the outside and I wasnt fond of the loose fitting bottle storage on the sides. I also wanted some hook and loop for patches :) so my search continued again.

I looked at some of the Rush12/24's and other similar popular bags on these forums however many didnt meet my needs for padded protection of electronic devices and laptops. I stumbled upon Vanquest while going down the rabbit hole of youtube and bit the bullet on a Trident 20, and I'm glad I did. First glance over, the pack is very well constructed, visually appealing with a good realestate for patches and the 1000-D condura is soft and strong. My only gripe on the soft material is that it can attract pet hair unlike the Surge or Maxped gear. I have two husky's so this does pose a slight annoyance.

[​IMG]

My first worry was that the admin section wasn't as robust as the Surge, however I am slowly finding myself modularizing my EDC items via Maxped pouches which allows me to quickly move loadout items from my small Lunada and I like the security of knowing items wont fall out as easily if I forget to zip pockets. My second worry was that it offered no pouch for water bottles, however I quickly remedied that with Mil Spec Monkey's awesome Bottle Corset...(I liked it so much I bought another one for my Lunada). The Corset molles perfectly on the right hand admin pouch of the Trident. My third worry was that it might be too tactical for my business professional work atmosphere, especially with my patches however I found no one has paid a lick of attention to it.

The Front admin pouch is large, with semi decent organization but I dont use it much except for quick reach large flat items such as paperwork and ID badges. It unzips slightly canted to the left to accommodate a slingbag-esque access approach. In front of the large admin pouch is a smaller side zippered sleeve (not shown).

I must mention I absolutely love the orange interior of all the pockets, it makes it so much easier to find items than in my Surge and many of the YKK zippers are lockable. Vanquest took an interesting approach to the zipper pulls in which they are tied in a fashion that keeps the paracord open and accessible for quick finger hooking. I'm still on the fence if I want to remove these and replace with cobra paracord.

[​IMG]

The front upper pouch is used for more commonly used smaller items and I find the layout adequate. The outside of the pouch is routed with speed cordage for cinching down practically anything, I find it works well for my umbrella.

I would love for the interior to have fleece lining like the Surge for sunglasses but I can get passed that...maybe (note to Vanquest if they are reading :)

[​IMG]

The right side admin pouch is one of my favorites, It allows quick access to items without having to take my pack off or digging through larger front pockets, and the MSM Bottle corset doesn't interfere with the opening or closing.

[​IMG]

The main compartment is setup a bit non traditionally. Main access is made via a side zipper that extends up to the top of the pack and is compartmentalized via adjustable padded velco dividers with hook and loop all the way down. This works perfectly for organizing my smaller EDC maxped pouches and other laptop peripherals and keeps things from turning into a jumbled mess in the bottom. It also allows for slingbag type access without taking the pack off. The space also contains a sleeve that can fit my thick 15" laptop, however my 14" fits a bit better. The entire space is very well padded and I'd have no reservations about using this pack as a camera/lens bag if I needed to.

There are a few additional velcro flaps within for finer storage.

[​IMG]

Lastly, behind the main compartment is a zippered section for a water bladder with hook and loop all the way down as well. A hydration hose can be routed either out the right or left side and attached to the shoulder straps. There is decent padding behind this and my back so I tend to use this space w/ a MSM wrap holster for storage of my carry sidearm if needed. The shoulder straps are very comfortable and accompanied with a standard chest strap and waist strap. Although I feel the waist strap is not needed for this size bag but no biggie as its removable.

[​IMG]

In the end, this pack truly meets most of my EDC needs and is sized perfectly for my loadouts. I'll end up using this one for quite some time.

For lighter days I use a Maxped Lunada which has a similar look and I'll probably post a separate review on it shortly as I had an interesting experience with my purchase.

Last edited by Captain35, Sep 13, 2015
    phatch, deeker, T.H.Cone and 7 others like this.
  2. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I'm quite infatuated with this bag although to be fair I've also got my eye on the 5.11 Rush 12. I'll be procuring a new bag to integrate my EDC and soon to be daddy diaper bag using something like the Eagle Creek quarter cubes to hold changing supplies and whatever else babies need when I happen to be carrying the baby indendently. (In our mid-30s we're having our first kid.) I presently use the Maxpedition Versipack, but it will not hold my tablet that has become an office EDC item.

One of my primary concerns with the Trident 20 is the lack of a bottle holder and at the suggestion of another I'm considering an adequately sized, folding dump pouch as that remedy (maybe even two) should I pursue this purchase. I'm relieved to find a 15 inch laptop will fit in the laptop compartment. I've read a few reviews that suggest that size will, but I've read several others that noted the size would be limited to 13 inches. As it happens, I don't frequently carry a laptop so the laptop issue would be limited to a couple of days a month. Like you, I've got a lot of hesitancy in using a tactical bag as an EDC item, particularly a full backpack so what I've decided to do is buy a more professional looking bag for such infrequent use. As it happens, although I work in an office and wear professional attire, I don't go to meetings or have any supervisors. We also have a relaxed atmosphere, and many of my colleagues across the state where true casual clothing.

I've wondered if it would be possible to secure a handgun in the main compartment at say the bottome of the bag under one of the padded organizers. In this instance, you could unzip the side and access the handgun. I don't know that I would frequently secret a handgun in there.

I'd be interested to see your loadout. It looks like your bag is thoroughly packed.

Thomas Chagrin likes this.
  3. TheMechanic

TheMechanic Loaded Pockets

Now that's nice! I like the usual quality of 5.11 but apparently bag snatchers and some of the general public view 511 as a ccw firearm bag.... not always the best way to appear....

I am looking for a bag myself, is that a 2 strap or a 1 and how many liters?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

4. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Two straps for 20 liters of consolidated organization.

This "evolved" from the Javelin VSlinger.

5. Endless Fugue

Endless Fugue Loaded Pockets

This will be the next bag I get I believe.
    I have a Synapse 19 and recently purchased a North Face Surge based off of GatorMedic's posts. It seems like the perfect bag for me at the moment. I wanted a slightly larger bag for fall/winter to have the option to stow my coat/jacket/hoodie in when not in use along with all my stuff. Come spring/summer I'll spring for the Trident 20 (or the soon coming Camelback Quantico?) I also might just get it for Christmas to have more options..

My Synapse would be my basic going out doing errands bag. The Trident 20 my EDC bag. With the North Face Surge my 'its all coming' bag.

I'm also trying to decide on a dayhike bag. I'm choosing between a Direct Action Dust, a Camelbak Hawg 2015, or an Osprey Talon 22 (the trident could also work here.) But I'm waiting until the Camelbak Quantico comes out to decide.

I might just end up with all of these bags...

Thanks for another great review of this bag!
    Must resist buying now.. Must have self control and wait.. Argh

Last edited by Endless Fugue, Sep 14, 2015
  6. Redbeane

Redbeane Loaded Pockets

Nice little review. The trident has been the best bag I've used. It's organization is outstanding. One of the things that impressed me the most about has been how comfortable it is to carry. Id recommend it to anyone. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

7. Genesiss

Genesiss Loaded Pockets

If only I could find this in the Foliage

8. Ravenslair

Ravenslair Loaded Pockets

Up until I got my Trident-20 a few months ago, my Rush 12 was my daily carry bag. I really like the Rush 12, but the Trident-20 easily replaced it. For day hikes and the like, I still go with my Litespeed or MR 3DAP. For daily work, the Trident-20 is unbeatable for me.

Thomas Chagrin likes this.
  9. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

What makes you switch for day hikes?

10. Ravenslair

Ravenslair Loaded Pockets

I do not need a lot of the stuff from my EDC bag in my day hike bag. For day hikes I normally take food, water, clothing and a few other items. I like a clamshell or trizip design for day hikes. I prefer modularity for my EDC bags. Plus I have a lot of bags and need to justify my possession of them!

11. clydeosaur

clydeosaur Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the review!

I was wondering if you could post the full length of the shoulder straps? I'm an "executive size" guy (a term I saw in the big guy pack thread). I love the concept of this bag, just not sure if it'll fit. And there doesn't appear to be a dealer anywhere near me.

Thanks

12. BravoGrrrl

BravoGrrrl Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the excellent review! The black Rush12 is so tactical, and on a chick, that really screams "I got a gun in here" or "I have expensive stuff in here" or "I'm a really weird chick." While I do CC, there's also camera gear and FA, etc. I'm the go-to MaMa in the group that everyone runs to when they need something. So, I laid down the cash for the Rush12. Yesterday, I was idley browsing the web while cooking a full Christmas Dinner, and what did I find? The Trident-20. And it is currently on sale for $116 and change at the Vanquish site. I wouldn't have done it for the full price, but dang it, I pulled the trigger. So now I've got a Trident-20 on the way as soon as the Vanquest folks get back from their holiday. I'll tell you I'm excited!

I'm looking forward to the orange interior so I don't need my flashlight to find things. I'm looking forward to being able to swing it around my left shoulder and grab my camera, which should be decently coddled inside the extra adjustable padding. I'm practically giddy about the wolf grey color and that maybe it won't look quite so survivalist. I think it will be cool to have a roomy compartment with all velcro so I can holster the handgun and the magazines for it (the Rush12 has velcro'd the section for the camelback, and that's where I CC, but my extra mags have to be loose in a front pocket because there's no room in the section to stick the three mag velcro holder (boo). I think all my gear will fit fabulously, and I really hope hubby won't notice that the big black pack turned into a grey pack. :) If I turn out hating it, I'll let you all know.

BTW, anyone interested in buying a Rush12 that was slightly used for 3 weeks and never even went on a road trip?

steeps, AlgoOPC, ran23 and 2 others like this.
  13. eira

eira Loaded Pockets

nice one, been contemplating to get this or ibex 20, decided to buy the ibex 20 in the end :D

14. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

The V-Slinger was horrible to carry with any kind of weight. I am glad to see a backpack version. It's really looks like the ultimate camera EDC bag

15. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

I am wondering how long the straps are on this pack. It looks like on a bigger dude the padding will ride high?

16. Lannister
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lannister Loaded Pockets

From the top where it is stitched to the bag to the release buckle (not included): 18"

panzer likes this.