1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My new Ruger LCR

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by kcwater, Dec 30, 2009.

1. kcwater

kcwater Loaded Pockets

Just got my first gun: the Ruger LCR. I took a NRA handgun class recently, and after shooting a large variety I decided I really like the advantages of wheel guns. I live in a rural area, and I don't think I need a 15+ round capacity as a carry gun. I love the simplicity and reliability of revolvers. I also ordered a S&W 317 as a practice gun to hone my skills. It's a similar size and weight to the LCR, and the 317 would also make a great trail gun for when I go hiking / backpacking. The 8-round capacity is also a nice plus. They actually had a 317 in-stock at the store, but S&W says not to dry fire the .22 revolvers, and I know the one in the case had been dry-fired at least 100 times too many. So I had them order a fresh one directly from Smith.

But back to the LCR; I love it. I think it has a cool look and feel, and although the Hogue grip isn't too long, it fits my hand perfectly for a small J-frame. I also purchased a Pelican 1120 case for when I throw it on the boat, or have it in a less than hospitable environment. I slid in a silica gel desiccant on the left side to prevent corrosion (even though it shouldn't really be a problem with this gun, the ammo could corrode in an airtight case).

[img width=640 height=480]http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/kcwater/photo3.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/kcwater/photo.jpg[/img]

2. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

congrats! kcwater! you are gonna love it, I bet! :roof:

great choice too! snubs "just work"....the 317 is nice - like others I lament ever getting rid of mine...why DID i do that? uh well.... :shrug:

I still own/shoot/love my Glock23 that is over 10 yrs old...but like you, I'm a wheel gun guy -
    I like mine with concealed hammers (have the 642 and the 442) amoung a few others 'wheelies'-
    traded in/sold off all my autopistols other than the G23.

your mod of the case is cool, too.

I didn't like the Hogue grip for concealed carry - and I knew I wanted a laser anyway...so I got the CT grips. love 'em.
    you gotta like that trigger, too, huh? (no stacking, super smooth)

here's mine with the CT grips:
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/fsmh3/RugerLCR.jpg[/img]

3. kcwater

kcwater Loaded Pockets

I was back and forth about the crimson trace. I couldn't find a place that had one in stock on a J-frame for me to hold. I know the CT grip is a little longer and slimmer than the Hogue, which might be nice, but I opted to apply that $200 towards another gun. It's an easy swap, so I may order one down the road. And yes, the trigger is one of the best features on the gun. I like it a lot better than the S&W j-frames I've shot.

4. sanddragger28

sanddragger28 Empty Pockets

Nice wheel gun looks very cool but has to much plastic what is that??

5. Eagle Scout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

Good choice. Ruger = reliable. Have had a SP101 for 5+ years w/o an issue. There's just something cool about a spurless pocket wheel gun. Be safe and enjoy it.

6. kcwater

kcwater Loaded Pockets

Thanks. I like my LCR so much I bought an sp101 the other day. I wanted something a little bigger as a home defense/ general purpose revolver. I also wanted a hammer for single action shooting, and I opted for the longer barrel since it's not gonna be my carry gun.

My dad has a s&w model 60 which is almost identical to the sp101 but it comes with a hi-viz sight and a higher price tag. The Ruger grip fits my hand better than the 60 and it was definitely a better value.