1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My new edc, G42

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by romac, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Knightrock
    • In Omnia Paratus

Knightrock EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sounds like a perfect fit for you. (Here comes more winter weather, ugh).

2. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I should have mine in a week or two. I've wanted a pocket gun for awhile for those rare occasions when my g30 or 1911 just isn't feasible.

Sure, I'd prefer a 9mm, and yeah, it's a little large for a 380, but I have never met anyone willing to stand in front of a "weak 380" and the added "bulk" makes it much easier to shoot. I've had trigger time with a few of the super tiny 380s, and they can be darn near painful to shoot. Now, with guns this size, you're likely using as a last ditch in close quarters, but I also didn't care for the "sights" on the LCP. I've read that the newest generation has slightly improved sights, but the originals were largely useless. The trigger was also a mile long and the reset left plenty to be desired. For a few bucks more than the LCP, I get useable sights, a predictably familiar trigger pull, a platform I am used to, and an aftermarket that only glock can have.

JMHO, YMMV, My $0.02, no refunds.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

3. Lee Bradbury

Lee Bradbury Loaded Pockets

I am, as they say, green with envy. It's a lovely looking gun and I bet it serves you well.

4. romac

romac Loaded Pockets

Ok so I just walked in from the range. Put 100 rounds of the Magtech .380 95gr fmj's through the gun, all fed and fired flawlessly (thank God! Since I ordered 350 of them lol).

Initial impressions; Fantastic gun. Very, very mild recoil. I'm a 6'0, 200 lb guy with 'large' size hands but the gun never felt too small or uncomfortable to shoot, as the LCP, some snub noses etc are like to do. Points very well. It IS a Glock. If you like shooting Glocks, this falls to hand well. If you find Glocks too bulky and uncomfortable or awkward - then welcome to the first Glock you will like to shoot. The slim profile and lack of finger grooves makes this little gun feel great in hand.

The bad; I am a Glock fan by nature, but I will call it like I see it. My gun rarely held open after the last round - BUT, I'm not quite sure if it's the gun or me. My hands aren't huge but definitely 'large' sized, and I shoot thumbs high and forward. This grip was putting my thumb quite aggressively on the slide lock of the 42. When I made a conscience effort to shoot with my thumbs away, or shot one handed, then it held open. I will have to spend some more time to determine which is at fault.

The excuses; I have to lay some excuses out right? ;) lol - I am NOT a target shooter nor do I shoot well enough to be above average. I have no formal training (which I am in the works on getting).

All shots were fired at a 'steady' pace or cadence. No slow fire with excellent mechanics and lots of time between shots. I'm more interested in being able to make solid, effective hits.

The guns overall small size DOES lend itself to being pushed easier - like Hickok etc have been doing as well. I find when I really use my offhand to maintain the grip my shots are much more true than is necessary with the larger frame guns I'm used to.

I only had 30 mins at the range so wanted to get more lead down to function test, so only shot on two targets - one a multi target with the smaller rings, which I'm posting here - and the other a silhouette which I used just to dry different grips and rates of fire etc.

The pics;

First shots through the gun, 10 feet, pushed one shot down
    [​IMG]

Second mag through the gun, tightened up - 10 feet
    [​IMG]

First mag out at 15 feet;
    [​IMG]

Second mag at 15 feet;
    [​IMG]

And first mag at 21 feet
    [​IMG]

And a one handed double tap, rapid fire, 10 feet aiming for barcode;
    [​IMG]

As the time went on, the groups got tightened up on the silhouette target big time. Very easy to make tight grouped head shots out at 5 yards or so. 9 ring and better on silhouette at 21 feet definitely doable as well. I can't wait to see how much better I get with the gun over time. Compared to my old pocket gun, the LCR, it took me hundreds of rounds to get consistent shots close to what I can do with the 42 out of the box.

In a couple weeks I'm going to my buddies property where I'll be able to put the gun through a lot more rigorous workouts, good or bad weather, at wildly varying distances and target sizes. So keep an eye out for that follow up.

Like I said, I'm not anybody professional, just a regular guy. I do plan to keep track of, and keep updates on the gun for anyone interested. And I'll run it hard. I shot it today as it can out of the box, and I plan to run it for a while without cleaning. I want to push it and see when it chokes since it's a gun I plan to rely on defensively.

Anyone's else heard of any slide lock issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou_G likes this.
  5. Knightrock
    • In Omnia Paratus

Knightrock EDC Junkie!!!!!

Romac, it's probably your thumb riding the slide. I have a Glock 19 that I used to shoot a lot in IDPA, and I figured that out when the same occurred to me. I shoot XDM 5.25s now and haven't had the problem with that gun, because it's frame is bigger. I corrected the Glock issue by putting my thumb off the slide release. My slide release was the larger aftermarket version.

6. BigRob
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

BigRob Loaded Pockets

I love mine I just happen to walk into a shop myself And picked one up. Total impulse buy but man I tell you I can't imagine carrying anything else like I do this. I do carry everyday but am guilty of locking my gun in the truck because of the size. But not anymore. And the days I feel like carrying on my hip I still throw this in my pocket as a backup. Great little gun and surprisingly accurate.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

romac likes this.
  7. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't be so sure your ammo performed "flawlessly" if you are having lock back problems. While it very well could be your grip and riding the slide lock, it could be the ammo as the issue, either in part or whole. You might try getting some more ammo of different brands and see if this repeats itself just to be sure.

There are more reports starting to come out as more G42's make their way to the range. Slide issues have been from not locking back to locking back BEFORE the last round on a partially full magazine. This combined with various ammo sensitivity as most small guns tend to suffer from with a good mix of FTF and FTE.

8. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Yeah, google "Glock 42 Issues" and some very bad things come back. I haven't heard about a Glock having these types of issues in a very long time. Not good.

I know you said "most" and it is not my intent to kick Glock while it's down but I've hurled a variety of different brands and types of ammo through my M&P Shield and the gun has run flawlessly. Not a single FTF or FTE in roughly 600 rounds. :D

Last edited by TARFU, Mar 5, 2014
  9. fallhunter

fallhunter Empty Pockets

I agree on the 9mm thing. I would buy one then.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

10. jds1

jds1 Loaded Pockets

VERY positive range report for my G42 this morning. 220 rounds of four different ammo types and NO problems whatsoever.

50 rounds Winchester 95 GR FMJ
    50 rounds Blazer 95 GR FMJ
    100 rounds Scorpion Reloads
    20 rounds DRT 85 GR HP

Jeff

romac and Macgirl like this.
  11. Buran

Buran Loaded Pockets

Just got mine in, love it. Here it is with a visible measurement scale (or two) to show how big (or not) it is.

[​IMG]

strokes762 likes this.