1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My new edc, G42

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by romac, Feb 22, 2014.

1. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Well, for one thing, it's a Glock (sarcasm).

2. speeddemon40

speeddemon40 Loaded Pockets

Same here.

3. braswes

braswes Loaded Pockets

Not because of any Glock fanboy-ism, or any fault of the LCP. Its simply that my wife has way more trigger time / range time / familiarity with Glock pistols. She simply has a higher confidence level in her ability to correctly operate / clear malfunctions with a Glock. And she's a bit of a Glock fangirl :)

My theory is that proficiency with the pistol will outweigh the size advantage. So its really all hypothetical until our next range trip where we can try out a G42.

Macgirl likes this.
  4. MARKUSDE

MARKUSDE Loaded Pockets

I bought my LCP as a pocket gun for carry with shorts in the summer. The42 looks nifty but the LCP has the same firepower in a smaller package. Now when and I mean when ,not if, Glock bring out a single stack 9 I'll be on that. My wife carries a LCP too.

5. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Now you have me interested in the G42. I'll have to find a local shop that has one!

Thanks!!!

6. romac

romac Loaded Pockets

I say go for it dml!

Just ordered 350 rounds of magtech bulk .380. Soon as it gets here I'll put it through its paces!

Sent from my iPad

7. Nags

Nags Loaded Pockets

Perfect comparison there. I'm hoping to get both of these guys in 2014. You don't have a size comparison photo of the Sig P238 vs. G42 do you?

8. romac

romac Loaded Pockets

Not as direct but from google also;
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dml24 and Nice like this.
  9. Nice

Nice Loaded Pockets

Glock hits it just right. They will not give us what we want but what we need... :D

Nags likes this.
  10. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

They have been making a .380 for some years but it was not being imported to the US.

11. liljohn

liljohn Loaded Pockets

That's pretty much saying they did not make one, don't you know the world rotates around the US!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

12. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

They were making huge double stack .380s the same size as their 9mm pistols. I never said they didn't make a .380, just that if Glock had made their slimline .380 10 years ago nobody would be saying anything negative. After all, it really wasn't that long ago that people were buying up small .380s like candy. That was a big trend a few years back and now the trend is slim nines rather than .380s (those are so 2010).

13. jds1

jds1 Loaded Pockets

I was feeling nostalgic for 2010 today, so I bought a G42. :)

Jeff

14. Nags

Nags Loaded Pockets

You go Man! Let us know how you like it.

15. gadgetjunky

gadgetjunky Loaded Pockets

Congrats on your new 42! They are very slick, flat little guns. Everybody that I know that has shot one says they are very smooth, accurate, slide is easy to rack, and recoil is very mild. I was able to handle one but sadly not shoot one yet.

Macgirl likes this.
  16. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I checked one of these out at my LGS. It was actually much smaller than I expected. Too small actually. Significantly smaller than my M&P Shield. Not for me. Still, if someone is looking for a bug and likes Glock, I could see where this would have some appeal.

17. romac

romac Loaded Pockets

It is small, much more so than pics or a spec sheet really show.

On a side note; my ammo came today! Get ready for some range reports!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macgirl likes this.
  18. Plinkman

Plinkman Empty Pockets

I don't mind that it's a .380, but I wish it were a little smaller or chambered in 9mm. But I understand why they didn't want to go smaller—they wanted it to be easily concealable, but also a pleasant shooter. I don't think I'll be getting one since I can get a 9mm for around the same size and 9mm ammo seems to be a little easier to come by.

19. Knightrock
    • In Omnia Paratus

Knightrock EDC Junkie!!!!!

LCP owner, as well:

[​IMG]

20. Buran

Buran Loaded Pockets

I've been eyeing the G42, too.

As for people who seem genuinely unable to understand why this wasn't a 9mm or bigger -- consider people like me. I have very tiny child-size hands and it's very difficult to find pistols that fit well; even most 9mms are too large. I don't want a larger caliber because I'm not physically comfortable with them, and a gun that sits at home in a drawer because I don't like the fit is one that can't help me if I'm in trouble. I'm actually going to be trading in a Walther PPS on this purchase. Not even single-stack 9mms fit my hands as comfortably as the P238 and the G32 do (and I have tried the P938). I have tried pocket guns like the LCP and the trigger pull on them is long and is not comfortable for me.

.380 is perfectly usable for defense, has been used by police forces and proven effective, and guns that fire it are small and light enough that I have no problem holding them or being accurate with them. It's not a matter of caliber "snobbery" for me, but what I can and can't use. And I think it's about time that more options were available for people like me. People who want 9mms have plenty of other options to choose from, including other Glocks. I had NO Glock models available to me that I could actually use until now. If Glock makes a 9mm variant in the future like Sig did with the 238/938, that's great, but small-handed people have been waiting a very long time to get a selection anywhere near as broad as what's available for 9mm and up.

As for my interest in the G42:

I've been carrying a P238 but am concerned over whether the safety would be an issue for me if I ever needed to draw. The Glock safety would be a perfect answer for my dilemma, so I contacted my local gun shop as soon as the info on these came out. They promised to call me when they got one in. Never got a call, even though they told me they got one (and then sold it) without ever calling me. So I'm contacting them again to follow up, because I fear that they forgot about me.

I tried one out today at a different shop that had one for rental only. I loved the fit in my hands, so now I know I'm definitely interested in buying it. It was lighter than I expected, but I think that's because the P238 is all metal and the G42 has some plastic parts. That's not a bad thing, of course.

Fortunately, on inspection I did discover that the 42 does seem to have a reversible mag release, which is important for lefties like me. The slide release was really stiff, but I think on break-in that would get better.

Last edited by Buran, Mar 2, 2014