1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My new edc, G42

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by romac, Feb 22, 2014.

1. romac

romac Loaded Pockets

Had been on the list at my fave lgs since he started it, and never got the call. I was planning on replacing my LCR with it as an edc pistol since I'm most familiar with the Glock platform (previous G17, 19 and 26x2 owner). Then I got caught up in on the anti-Glock .380 hype and decided against it.

So imagine my shock today when I went to another gun shop (my #2) to browse and they had a 42 in stock. I asked to see it and fell in love. The internet/pics really simply aren't doing this gun justice. It feels fantastic in hand and I have large size hands. The woman at the shop was more than patient with me while I compared it size wise to the 26, Shield, air weight, LCR and LCP. Also, they had no .380 ammo, so she gave me some of her personal stock - free - I can't thank her enough for that.

I think I like the feel of the gun so much because the lack of the finger grooves. Really makes me want to try a gen 2 17. Anyway, it IS pocketable without needing monster pockets or cargo shorts. I'm 6'0 190, 28 and in good shape. I don't wear tactical pants or huge "old man" jeans (no offense intended). 33" waist old navy bootcut jeans, glock in right front pocket in a generic blackhawk;

[​IMG]

And I'm out and about right now so here's a couple quick shots, I'll get more later;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My initial impression is very good. I'll shoot it soon, but I can definitely say if you're on the fence, at least check one out before you dismiss it due to internet naysayers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Great looking little pistol. I have always appreciated the "no finger grooves" look of the earlier Glocks and I am glad to see it coming back.

Get a Gen 2 G17 or G19, you won't be disappointed IMHO.

3. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

The internet naysayers don't seem to have much to complain about to me. If the 42 was made 10 years ago it would be a beloved and proven design right now and there wouldn't be any naysayers. Since Glock came to the game late, people are talking smack about it.

4. Macgirl

Macgirl Loaded Pockets

Congrats! It's a nice shooting little gun. Thinking one of those would compliment my Gen2 17 very nicely indeed!

5. Fronty2011

Fronty2011 Loaded Pockets

My wife is dying to get one of these.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

6. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

Nice hiding! Really dislike finger grooves as well. Seems they are always modelled on someone else's fingers.

7. Mike

Mike Loaded Pockets

It is a great shooting little gun. Best .380 so far that I've handled. Put a hundred rounds thru it so far without a hiccup. Ran about 25 rounds of Federal Hydrashock Low Recoil thru it also. Very manageable and accurate.

Macgirl likes this.
  8. clandr1

clandr1 Loaded Pockets

I sincerely wish the 42 had been chambered in 9x19, but I guess Glock wants to have a player in the .380 pocket pistol market. I really hope the next single stack model is 9mm.

xdglocker and 6_String_Jams like this.
  9. 6_String_Jams
    • In Omnia Paratus

6_String_Jams Loaded Pockets

I'm with Clandr1 on this....I would REALLY like to see this in a single stack 9mm.

10. strokes762

strokes762 Loaded Pockets

It's a shame they don't listen to the consumers :(

6_String_Jams likes this.
  11. Websniper

Websniper Loaded Pockets

I don't understand the appeal of this gun in .380 when 9mm is available in several guns of the same size or close to it.

IMO Glock screwed the pooch. If they made a .380 the size of the LCR, then yeah. if they release this frame size in 9mm, I'll be all over it...

6_String_Jams likes this.
  12. gahunter

gahunter Empty Pockets

I agree...380 kills it for me.

13. romac

romac Loaded Pockets

I'm confused, it is the size of the LCR?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad

14. Macgirl

Macgirl Loaded Pockets

15. Dilla

Dilla Loaded Pockets

Looks nice. I too hope for a 9mm variant.

speeddemon40 likes this.
  16. NOT-A-FAN

NOT-A-FAN Loaded Pockets

now i am not the type of guy who will turn a gun down just because its a certain caliber. But .380 is my least favorite and .45 my most favorite. Now now its not because of knock down power, or the ability for a bullet to go through walls or some other :censored:. I honestly shoot .45 acp better than any other caliber, except 9mm. I dont know why. And yes i have shot several guns of several calibers.

all this to say, i only buy what i can shoot accurately, and anything else gets sold. I do love the single stack no finger grooves design. But i will probably not be buying this glock, i am eyeing the compact .45, but thats another thread.
    anyway, all the love in the world for this gun, just not what i need.

all the caliber talk was referring to semi auto/rimless. .38 and .357 and rifle calibers is all a different matter for a different time.

17. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

They did :D alot of people wanted a .380
    Some people wanted a 9 mm too, but thats not really 'not listening to consumers', its too easy to bash glock for that decision

18. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Glock is doing the right thing... for themselves. If they released a small, slim 9mm before the .380 then fewer people would be interested in the smaller caliber. This way they pump up the sales of the .380 and then get all the guys who really wanted a 9mm to dump the 42 and buy the gun they really wanted when Glock finally releases it. Genius.

sioux565 and 6_String_Jams like this.
  19. braswes

braswes Loaded Pockets

In a way, it's the same roadmap that Ruger used LCP => LC9. I'm very interested in a smaller, slimmer Glock for my wife's carry needs. I'm pretty certain the G42 will suit her much better than her current LCP carry. And even though the 9mm would be even nicer, well the gun you can carry now is better than waiting for next years model (which I will probably buy also, so that validates the Glock market strategy :) )

20. MARKUSDE

MARKUSDE Loaded Pockets

In what way would the Glock 42 be much better than the LCP?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

dml24 likes this.