1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My new daily bag for surviving work.

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by sitdwnandhngon, Apr 4, 2010.

1. sitdwnandhngon

sitdwnandhngon Empty Pockets

After my winter break I head back to work tomorrow, and decided this year to be a little more prepared. We drive an hour to work every day so I wanted some supplies to always have in the car and the work truck to help us out when we need it instead of getting stuck this year.

I bought this bag a few months ago and decided it would work perfect.

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?engine=froogle&productID=13170

It's geared more towards helping me day to day. When we are at job sites and need to get something un-broken fast we almost always have to wait for the job manager to show up with the right sized wrench, or something stupid like a pull cord for a saw. But I also wanted some stuff that would prove useful if something happened and we needed to get out of the city and home.

Here's the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I managed to cram a lot of stuff in there.

A small socket set with metric and standard sizes.
    Tape measure
    Allen wrench set
    5 open ended wrenches in common SAE sizes and a large crescent wrench
    Multiple pens and pencils
    Safety glasses
    Dust Masks
    Pocket hacksaw
    An old seat belt (good for a tourniquet or long enough to tie something down)
    Small first aid kit with pain and allergy meds (benadryl, aspirin and some sinus pills)
    Floss
    Wind up radio with emergency bands, and flashlight.
    50 Ft. of paracord
    A small muli tool with all common screw driver bits
    A p38 can opener
    Box of razor blades and an extra folding pocket knife
    A large carabiner, and some other small snaps
    An old USB drive just incase
    Legal pads
    A digital camera and extra batteries

And the two most important I think. Extra socks and a copy of Pocket Ref.

Is there any must have's that I may have missed? I always have some cash on me so that's not an issue and I don't have a pistol permit, so that's out.

2. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

You might want to mention exactly what your job is (I'm guessing handyman or contractor), and what you do during a typical day, so that we can give more specialized and helpful suggestions. But judging from the description of waiting for the project manager for tools, you might want to consider two bags: a dedicated tool bag crammed full of tools, and a smaller bag for useful non-tool items like first aid, pen and paper, and the camera. You could leave the tool bag in the car, and just pick and choose from the tools as needed, and carry the smaller bag with you along the way.

3. sitdwnandhngon

I work for a medium sized company doing sidewalks, driveways, walls, that sort of thing.

Each crew has a work truck and trailer and a tool bag in each truck. Plus we each have our personal tool boxes. The thing that happens though is as the trucks get switched around throughout the season people take tools from the truck bag and they end up living in a tool box on a different job site. So many times last year I needed a :censored: 9/16" wrench and they were all in a another crews tool box offsite instead of the truck it belonged to. Our toolboxes stay at the shop or at the site during the night too. So that leaves me with an hour long trip with nothing I could use if we broke down, we carpool with my friends car everyday.

The season always starts out with everyone being prepared, but it goes downhill mid summer. I was just shooting for something small I could keep next to my cooler so when I did need to get something taken care of I could save a trip to the shop or wasted time waiting.

I'm sure as we get rolling I'll get a better Idea of the stuff I use more and need more often. But I recently started doing my own business as well, and when that starts to roll sometime in the future I will need a dedicated paperwork bag and my tools can all just live in my work truck.

And just as a quick review, that bag is well worth the 18 bucks. It's very rugged with nice stitching and decent zippers. It reminds me of the canvas shooters bags the surplus stores have.

4. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

Sounds like the tools need to be labeled so that they stay in the truck's designated tool bag. That would greatly help the workflow. Also, since you started your own business, you should start buying your own tools, and keeping you own tool bag organized. Then you don't have to rely so much on the provided tools that are paired with the trucks. I would put the most used tools into your new bag, along with any other general use items you need frequently.

Hopefully that helps. I obviously don't know as much about your individual situation as you do, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Good luck.

5. sitdwnandhngon

I have tons of my own personal tools. But I refuse to take most of them to work because of other workers abusing them. If laborers are going to be stupid I would just rather it be with the bosses provided tools.

I got a few good ideas today though. I need to add a sewing kit, some large garbage bags that can be used to cover stuff or for ponchos (if i end up walking home) and after remembering I left my lunch fork at home today I realized my hobo tool also needs to be added.

6. GrumpyGrizzly

GrumpyGrizzly Loaded Pockets

Toss in a couple Bic lighters, maybe some candy/energy bars to stave off hunger. Any way to carry a water bottle? I use cheap carabiners and hook mine to the outside of my pack so A) I know I have it and B) I know if there's anything in it. Maybe some hand sanitizer to clean your hands before you eat? Might also pick up a ProjectCalc Plus calculator for doing estimating. Although most folks that work in concrete can estimate a job in their head, it always helps to punch numbers in.

7. mrvangoch2000

mrvangoch2000 Empty Pockets

marking my tools was the first thing i did with any tool while i was a restoration contractor. i used to have a large
    Husky brand zipper closed bag for my personal power tools a simallar husky open faced contractor bag/box. for my hand tools and my messenger bag for all documents and expensive electronics like my camera and phone moister meters ect. I also kept a large hard case jobmate box for my lunch and snack foods. it often weighed more than my hand tools. :)

i just sat down one day after making sure all my tools were back, bought a five pack of engraver bits and put my initials one everything sometime up to three times so they can't be dammaged in order to fudge owner ship.

now i'm a youth pastor and only need to sign my books.