1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My new Condor Bushlore

Discussion in 'Knives' started by SIGBarber, Mar 20, 2014.

1. SIGBarber

SIGBarber Loaded Pockets

I just received it today and couldn't wait to share. My initial opinion is good. I opted for the micarta grip which is very nice feeling while giving plenty of purchase. It is not a lightweight. It's hefty but not burdensome. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Looks good. Tell us more when you've had a chance to "work it" some!

SurvivePenna likes this.
  3. SIGBarber

SIGBarber Loaded Pockets

With pleasure.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  4. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Very nice. I have the Bushlore, Kephart, and Rodan. I haven't had a chance to get in the woods with the Bushlore or Kephart, but have used the Rodan and was impressed with how it performed. Condor has really up'd its game. Good quality and affordable. Looking forward to your impressions after you get some woods time.

5. RichinVA

RichinVA Loaded Pockets

I have the wood-handled Bushlore. Re-worked the handle some, but that's just my modding gene rearing up.......heck of a lot of knife for darn little $$....... For sure one I am not hesitant to work hard/abuse.

<<< Even when the world is at peace, a gentleman always keeps a blade at his side.
    -The Strategies of Wu. >>>

6. SIGBarber

SIGBarber Loaded Pockets

Tried the other aspect of bushcraftyness. Food prep. We cut meat, onions etc. with no problems…except one.

[​IMG]

The blade came out stained. I'm guessing this is why we all buy "stainless"steel. LOL

7. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

It's 1075 high carbon steel, it will patina, stain, rust, whatever you want to call it. It's not a big deal just something that us folks who grew up in the age of Stainless steel aren't used to.

The quality seems to have improved a lot since I got mine. I plan to do some reprofiling once I get a belt sander. Maybe then mine will see some use.

It looks like someone put a secondary bevel on yours. Do they come from the factory like that? I would sharpen it down to a zero degree scandi and see how it does. You can always add a micro bevel if you find the edge rolls too easy, doubt that you'll have chipping issues with 1075.

8. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

My only Condor is an Hudson Bay. Very happy about it.
    Huge chunk of steel, heavy and bombproof.
    Exactly what i was looking for.
    I'm looking at the Bushlores since months too... may be, may be... ;)
    Nick

SurvivePenna likes this.
  9. SIGBarber

SIGBarber Loaded Pockets

I can already say that if I lost it today I would have another on the way ASAP!

10. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the updates, SIG ... Very much appreciated.

11. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice knife, congrats [​IMG]

I considered this knife as well but ended up spending a little more on the Spyderco Bushcraft eventually.

How's the fit & finish of the micarta scales on these? I know the wooden scales may need a little work before people are satisfied with them but am curious if it's the same with the micarta ones.

As for stains; I'm not sure how 1075 compares to o1 in terms of stain-resistance, but if you just wipe the blade down after use it shouldn't be a problem. I always carry a little zip-lock bag with an oily rag (just a piece of a cotton t-shirt drenched in mineral oil) with the knife for this purpose & apart from some scratches & scuffs my blade still is stain-free so far (not that stains would bother me much, I do it for rust-protection mostly).

12. SIGBarber

SIGBarber Loaded Pockets

The micarta fit very nicely. This is my first knife with micarta so I'm limited in my estimation of its quality. That said nothing stands out as a defect[​IMG]. As you see it is tight and the lines are clean.

13. Here Comes The BOOM

As far as I know from researching this knife they come with a secondary bevel from the factory.

& I agree, first thing I would do is remove it too. Nothing beats a true scandi-grind when it comes to wood-working ime.

Watch it with those belt-sanders please though, you don't want to ruin the heat-threat. I'd just do it on a course stone if you have one available (ceramic ones are pretty inexpensive if you haven't). It'll be a little more work and it'll take longer but I find it very rewarding myself, meditative almost.

14. Here Comes The BOOM

Yeah, it does look pretty good from that photo, good to hear [​IMG]

15. SIGBarber

SIGBarber Loaded Pockets

It looks like someone put a secondary bevel on yours. Do they come from the factory like that?

It looks like that because I used the window edge to straighten out the edge right after I got it. I totally need to work on it but I haven't taken time to set down with it.
    This is a blown up image of the edge out of the box[​IMG]

16. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

Mine came with a funky scandivex grind with a secondary bevel. I've flattened the primary bevel but haven't gotten rid of the secondary yet. The point is also a little more round on mine so I'd like to fix that as well.

I've been trying to finish a knife by hand for a long while now thing is I want it thin behind the edge and so it's been a lot of work post HT. I've had enough of a reward from that project. I want to move on to a belt sander so I can get some projects done in all the spare time I have ;-)

17. USMA_Hopeful

USMA_Hopeful Loaded Pockets

Dude, that's not a problem, that's character! :) That goes back to the days when any real man wort his salt, when asked for a knife, would produce a worn Case, Kabar, or Old Timer etc. with a blade so dark it looked liked it had been blued. Knives like that were designed to work, and not to sit on a shelf. They probably had seen more action and got their user out of more jams than any of my "modern" knives ever will.
    Hope you enjoy the knife!

18. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

AMEN! There is nothing like the dark coloration of a good old carbon steel blade. Most folks don't want to maintain their knives these days which is why stainless is so popular ( I can understand it, it's not fun work to oil you knives regularly, but it's another accuse to fondle them without anyone looking at you suspiciously).

:rofl:

19. SIGBarber

SIGBarber Loaded Pockets

( I can understand it, it's not fun work to oil you knives regularly, but it's another accuse to fondle them without anyone looking at you suspiciously).

:rofl:[/quote]
    That's true!

20. SIGBarber

SIGBarber Loaded Pockets

While on a Cub Scout trip this weekend I realized I had no woggle for my neckerchief. So I found some dried bamboo pieces and a scrap if shock cord in the leaves at the campsite. This was the result thanks to my Bushlore and my Swiss tool. [​IMG][​IMG]

Redneck Bear and Cobra 6 Actual like this.