1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My low-profile EDC Belt Pouch****UPDATED****

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by John Frederick, Sep 5, 2008.

1. John Frederick

John Frederick Loaded Pockets

Here's something I've come up with over time. I like to have as much gear with me as possible but I try to keep my profile somewhat low key. Also, I'm not a big fan of loading down my pockets. Keep in mind that this is not the only stuff I carry, it's just an attempt to consolidate as much gear as possible into a small pouch.

I started with the nylon pouch that came with the Leatherman Core. It was immediately clear that there was extra room inside it- I found I could add a 4" crescent wrench and a Pocketwrench II easily. To allow for individual tool removal I formed a Kydex sleeve to fit inside and allow a single tool to be removed/inserted without effecting the the others. This sleeve is held in place by the Chicago screws that hold the Tek-Lok to the pouch. The bottom of the Tek-Lok is held to the sheath by the screws that BladeTech supplies. To these screws I added a Kydex sleeve that is formed to hold a Gerber EAB- It slips in from the side. The black Nylon strip you see covering the EAB is velcro-ed in place to protect my pants from the edges of the EAB (it doesn't take much to wear a hole in pants over time). Below this I have a Mini-Bic that is held in place with velcro. On the front flap I added 2 snaps because the velcro had worn out.

The front side of the pouch has a generic key holder from Lowe's slipped down on it. I can't tolerate keys poking me in a pocket. That's an LOD Rebel on my keys that backs up my EX-10.
    The other side has a LRI Photon Proton pouch attatched using the horizontal belt loops on the LM pouch. Inside it rides a Wenger Evo w/ nail clippers and a removable lanyard that I can use on any of my gear should the need arise. BTW, if anyone knows where I can buy another Proton pouch please let me know- mine is wearing out.

The tweezers are a new addition and I'm still evaluating their positioning. They are the only tool that I have remove the pouch to put them back in place.
    The reddish thing on the inside of the Tek-Lok is a piece of rubber cut from a jar opener found at grocery stores. It's glued on and keeps the pouch from sliding back and forth on my belt.

I will admit that the whole this heavier than most people would tolerate but it doesn't bother me at all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LOOK BELOW to see pics of the new set up

2. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

Re: My low-profile EDC Belt Pouch

That's pretty amazing actually. You managed to squeeze a lot of stuff in there.

The sheath that comes with the bit kit might give you a little more room if you like...

3. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:thumbsup: That's resourceful, John. I like it.

My problem is that if I put that much weight in one place on my belt, my pants want to fall down.

4. John Frederick

Yes it would, but I'm afraid I'd end up needing suspenders :laugh:

You just have to learn cinch your belt tighter ;)

5. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Very interesting!

:thumbsup:

Thanks John!

Dan

:)

6. Nephiel

Nephiel Loaded Pockets

Very compact, I like it.

Why not attach the tweezers to the keyring?

7. djren12

djren12 Loaded Pockets

very nice! Putting tweezers on key ring is a real good idea, easy and fast access.

8. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

very smart design! you really pack a lot in there! O0

9. John Frederick

I've lost the tweezers off my keys before so I'll probably end up putting them back into my wallet.
    Thank you all for the compliments. Building these "systems" is where I really enjoy my EDC hobby.

10. packrat

packrat Loaded Pockets

Excellent setup John. I carry a mini bic and maglite solitare (backup light) in the pouch with my leatherman but you took it to the next level. I might have to borrow a few of your ideas. I bet I can squeeze a 4" adjustable in there and I've got to get a pocketwrench.

11. dl52163

dl52163 Loaded Pockets

NICE JOB. It also goes to show that you may need to modify some of your things to truly "get what you want" . Creativity I love it. Again NICE JOB.

12. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

Holy cow that's a lot of stuff! Nice creativity.

13. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Nice set and nice setup! Having a separate wrench, knife, screwdriver etc. is a necessity sometimes, even if a multitool includes all of those.

14. theChipmunk

theChipmunk Empty Pockets

Brilliantly inventive!

How the mini-Bic was attached confused me for a second, until I read the description! :p

theChipmunk

15. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

Very cool! Lots of good ideas there, as I'm always looking for the ultimate "instantly interchangeable" method of carrying my EDC in a variety of situations!

Hey Parnass, you must have the same problem I do: sometime in the last five years my waist size crept past my hip size!

16. John Frederick

Thanks for all the Kudos!!

One of the problems with this particular obsession of mine is that I'm always looking to improve things or just rework them. Since I first posted this I figured out that the tweezers slipped into the open edge of the Cordura tab on the back. I've also ditched the lanyard because I have configured the cord on my neck knife to double as a lanyard. And I managed to slip my nail punch into a spot between the two pouches. And I doubt seriously that I'm finished :p :p

I also recently found this little gem to add to the kit- Sharp Shim

17. objective_guy

objective_guy Empty Pockets

Very cool and innovative John! O0 I agree with you, the fun part of the hobby is being creative and clever like this. Again well done! :highfive:

18. John Frederick

Thanks OG :)

Well, I was fiddling around yesterday and realized a widgy bar would slip right in on the left side of the LM Core :evilgrin:
    As soon as I get my second Nitecore EX10 back from 4-7's it's going into the side pouch.

19. Aaron SBT

Aaron SBT Empty Pockets

you put MacGuyver to shame my man! Nice use of the Tek Lock, those things are great, eh?
    I take it the Leatherman brand sheath is holding up ok? I'm always wary of "included" nylon sheaths after my original Swisstool sheath fell apart after a couple weeks. I am actually pleasantly surprised with some of Gerber's "included" nylon sheaths with their recent slew of Chinese made items. I wore the Ripstop multi-tool in its sheath for the first time today, so we'll see how it holds up. Again, very nice kit.

20. John Frederick

Thanks Aaron. So far the LM sheath has held up well. I've been using it since the Core first came out and only the velcro has wore out. Also, LM replacement sheaths are inexpensive :)