1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My list of netbook capable small, EDC bags...what am I missing?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by all_thumbs, Aug 8, 2009.

1. all_thumbs

all_thumbs Loaded Pockets

I've been looking for a bag I really like to carry my EDC items and my 10" netbook. I'm liking the look of the small, subtly tactical, messenger style bags listed below. I've found them searching here and elsewhere. I already have two latop bags and a basic Bauer-esque messenger bag in gray canvas but that's super floppy and difficutly to access items from. Something about the Maxped Gearslingers turns me off at the moment, so those are off my list, but don't hesitate to list them, maybe I'll change my mind. I don't know which are best for my purposes though so I didn't list them. Jumbo maybe plus Lunada and bigger gearslingers I suppose? Is the new Active Shooters bag too small? I love it but I think it is. Anything really cool I haven't seen yet? Will the 5.11 S.E.R.E. from Quartermaster's fit a 10" netbook? How does Eggroll take ordrers for EGL bags?

At the moment in addition to the netbook I will normally have a a pretty light EDC load compared to many here, a multi-tool, back up knife, and my favorite 4-way screwdriver, a PSP, a light, a mini-FAK, and maybe a pouchful of other items. I'll be getting training and applying for my concealed carry permit in the next few months, too.

My current list
    Extreme Gear Lab/EGL/Eggroll Greg bag - $???
    Extreme Gear Lab/Eggroll/EGL Possibles bag - $???
    Blackhawk Battle bag (and Enhanced Battle bag) - $70-95
    Stormtracker's upcoming custom 'tactical man-purse' - $???
    So-Tech Mission Go Bag aka Spec-ops Tech Mission Go Bag - $$+
    County Comm BOB - $30ish
    LA Police Gear Diplomat BOB - similiar to above but a little cheaper - $20ish
    Tactical Map Bag from LAPolicegear.com - No longer on the site?

Don't want much do I? Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

2. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Mountainsmith Day bag works quite well for a netbook and other EDC.High visibility yellow interior and smartly designed.

Phil

3. lowlight

lowlight Loaded Pockets

check out Tom Bihn's Buzz
    it's a sling bag that can carry a netbook and more

4. dhfu624

dhfu624 Loaded Pockets

You may also want to consider the Maxped Last Resort attache-

Lynnaea has a pretty good description here. I also have one (I haven't had time to take pictures and do a write-up) and it has worked pretty well for me too.

5. IllicitDreams

IllicitDreams Loaded Pockets

I've fit my ASUS eeePC 901 in a neoprene sleeve into a Maxpedition Jumbo, a 5.11 Tactical SERE Bag, and a County Comm EOD bag.

6. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

Look at the EMDOM TNT before you make a final decision. Over the last 15 years I went from a Blackhawk wide body executive case, to a maxpedition tactical operators bag and then last year when they hit the market, an EMDOM TNT bag. Great every day features and great travel features. It also comes in a non tactical color (hong kong SDU grey) which is great for airport travel.

7. all_thumbs

Wow, thanks for the responses everyone, so many great ideas here. Almost all of the listed bags are totally new to me so I really appreciate it, in addition to IllicitDreams' size confirmations which are very helpful. :notworthy: Thanks for make it harder to decide, ha ha. I was going to try to keep this purchase under $100, but the some of the higher spec bags are really blowing me away :drool: You guys rock!

8. supasizefries

supasizefries Loaded Pockets

I've fit my Acer Aspire One A150 8.9" screen with neoprene sleeve as well in a Maxped Jumbo.

9. Fred Foobar

Fred Foobar Loaded Pockets

To add to the ever-growing list, Pantac messenger bag:
    [​IMG]

I picked one up a few months ago and it is really well built. I picked one up with the same intention, EDC plus a 10" netbook.

Unfortunately, I just picked up a 13" Macbook Pro from work instead of a netbook. It will fit the bag with a really tight fit. If this bag was an inch or two bigger on both sides (hight and length) it would be perfect!

The bag cost around $70.00 shipped from overseas (HK, or somewhere in Asia IIRC).

The bag's dimensions in cm (H x W x L): 20 x 15 x 38.

The Macbook's dimensions are 12.8 x 8.9 x 1.0 inches.

Hope this helps!

10. IllicitDreams

IllicitDreams Loaded Pockets

That's what we're here for right... to make the decision harder. ;D

11. lowlight

lowlight Loaded Pockets

the Pantac messenger bag looks great.
    haven't seen one before

where did you get it from Fred?

12. all_thumbs

Looks like the LA Police Gear Tactical Map Bag is back now...at $16.99. :shocked: I also rediscovered the Battlelab EE bags, which are close enough to the Blackhawk Battle bags as to make me wonder who needs to get smacked :slap:. Battlelab EE vs. Blackhawk Battle bag comparison. Anybody know which came first and which is higher quality? The above test favors the Battlelab but I'm leaning toward the Blackhawk Enhanced bag for the configurability.

That Pantac is very similar too, and overall I'd like it the best if it only had a single buckle on the front. I've seen their site before but I can't decide if they are top tier or not. They have versions of bags that are just like other companies, including having the same names, but seem to have some original items too and their prices are very high for a 'knock off' company, so I'm confused by them.

13. supasizefries

supasizefries Loaded Pockets

Those map bags are tempting.

14. Fred Foobar

Fred Foobar Loaded Pockets

I picked my Pantac Messenger Bag off eBay. It roughly measures 12" x 8" x 5".

I like it, but just wish it were an inch or so bigger all around since I picked up the Macbook. It was perfect before then.

I like messengerish bags, but find the Timbuk2 huge and hate the velcro flap thing.

I also like the looks of the Tactical Tailor Active Shooter bag. Looks like the tan ones are on sale right now for $64.40.
    Here's a vid of it: http://www.aacblog.com/?p=1508
    [​IMG]

Pantac looks like they are in the Airsoft/knockoff business, but I didn't see any bag comparable to their messenger bag at the time so I picked it up. I prefer to support the ones who spent the time and effort doing the T&E. If I knew about the Tactical Tailor bag beforehand, I would have picked that up instead.

As for the quality and construction? I'm very happy with it. No crooked seams or mediocre sewing, looks like 1000D Cordura. I'd say on par with my Eagle-era RAID and CSMgear packs.

15. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

The Blackhawk Enhanced Battle Bag is also very similar, but with a removable map flap.

can't find dimensions... probably about 16x16x4 ish

16. all_thumbs

After looking at that comparison test I posted, and at Blackhawk's site, Blackhawk changed their standard battlebag and it is no longer just like the Diamondback Tactical/Battlelab bag anymore...but that LA-PoliceGear bag is. Almost like it was made from the same pattern :-X