1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My latest backpack. Warning; lot of pictures

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by jma78, Oct 19, 2010.

1. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

Here´s my latest project; a one day sized pack which i will be carrying pretty much on a daily basis.

This was more or less a concept project.. With my previous pack (the 3DAP), i knew exactly what the pack was going to look like before i started making it.. With this one, i really didn´t have much of a design to start with.. I worked that out while the project went along.

This is what i knew about the pack before i started it:

a) Smallish size, 10-15 liters in capacity
    b) A separate compartment for a 13,3" laptop, which also doubles as a hydration compartment.
    c) "stash pocket", (or whatever those are called) in the front.
    d) Shaped backpanel
    e) Made out of multicam, of course ;)

Here´s the pics;

[​IMG]

Those looplocs next to the carrying handle (one each side) and the webbing loops adjacent to them are for attaching extra compression straps to the top part of the pack.. Before i assembled the pack, i wasn´t sure if it needed compression straps over there, so i figured it´s better be safe than sorry.

[​IMG]

There´s also padding in between the inner and outer layers of the backpanel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Main compartment.. 4x4 Pals for attaching something like Tad´s admin panel (which i´ll be using)

[​IMG]

Laptop/hydration/document compartment.. There´s a loop of webbing where i can attach a hydration bladder if needed.. However, i didn´t make a hydration port for the hose because 98% of the time, i will be using this to carry my laptop.. When on the rare occasion i will use the bladder, i´ll just run the hose in between the zipper pulls and lock them in place with a grimlock. There is a thin padding (4mm thick) in between the main compartment and this one.

[​IMG]

Stash pocket

[​IMG]

A zippered pocket behind the stash pocket

[​IMG]

Front pocket

[​IMG]

Here´s how it rides on my back.. From this picture you can see the purpose of the stash pocket.. What i got there is a sort of an "edc-insert".. A big pouch with a lot of organization to hold all the stuff for school.. The looploc in one of the bottom pals loops is for attaching a waist belt, if i ever decide that i need one.. I don´t usually use those, so right now, i didn´t bother.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About the organization inside the pack; It´s pretty basic.. one visible pocket inside the main compartment and another, hidden one... The hidden pocket opens downwards, and it´s mouth is pretty close to the bottom of the pack.. So it´s not a place where one would usually expect to find a pocket and therefore, doesn´t know how to look for it either (that´s the theory at least).

The front pocket has the usual organization, a couple of sleeve pockets and a one with velcro closure.

Alright guys; what´s the verdict?:)

odg and Cornholio2188 like this.
  2. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

That's really nice! I like the concept of the stash pocket. I have a small day/hydration pack I bought many years ago for mountain biking that has a stash pocket and I find it pretty handy. Plus, you can never go wrong with Multicam!

So when does the production line open? ;)

3. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

Thanks!

Yeah, i like those stash pockets as well.. I like to be able to quickly acces some of the stuff i carry.

Ummm, never i guess:) Backpacks take so much time to make.. Don´t you just hate it when the dayjob interferes with your hobbies?:)

4. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Another work of art ! It shows that you put allot of thought into this pack ;)

BE WELL .. GH

5. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

Where do you get those little toggle like handles that I see as your zipper pulls in the first picture?

6. Mike Grandin

Mike Grandin Loaded Pockets

jma78, man you got some serious SKILLS!!! If you ever start selling this pack let me know!!

7. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

Thanks again GH!:)

You are talking about ITW´s tac-toggles.. You can find those from milspecmonkey:

http://milspecmonkey.com/store/products/details/1121/8/tactical-gear/itw-tac-toggle.html

Pretty cool little things.. I was surprised how much easier those made the opening of the zipper... They really made a differense. You can also use those as web dominators.. There was a thread on this bags-board about Eagle medic bag, which had Tac-toggles as web dominators.

Thanks Mike!:)

8. kanis mesomelas

kanis mesomelas Loaded Pockets

hail to the king!!

9. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Well done. After several weeks you should give us a review after it has been field tested. I know, I am greedy :naughty: You have been showing us some great projects, thank you.

10. mike1031

mike1031 Loaded Pockets

Well done...

11. chapkim

chapkim Loaded Pockets

I am impressed! Great job!

12. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

WOW, that is some excellent work, like said above if you ever decide to sell a few let me know.

You must have a sweet sewing machine.....

13. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys!

I use a good old Pfaff 332.

14. allotabass

allotabass Loaded Pockets

Not only do I like it.....I'd buy it.
    Do you think it could use a waist belt ?

15. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

You see those looplocks on both sides, on one of the bottom pals loops? Those are fro attaching a waistbelt, in case a ever need it.. But i didn´t make one right now because i rarely use those.

16. uncleben03

uncleben03 Loaded Pockets

Holy cow that's really nice! How long did it take you to make?

17. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

Thanks uncleben!

I´d say something like 15 hours.. I could get it down to 10 now that i´ve already made one..

18. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

Mad jealous of the quality and workmanship of this bag! do you draw up blue-prints of your bags before you make them?

19. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

Thanks Jegrundh!

No, i might do a raw scetch without too many details (mostly just the main dimensions: HxWxD) because i´ve learend that with a comlex projects like backpacks, what works with a pen and paper, usually won´t work with cordura and a sewing machine:) I just figure out the details while i´m making the pack.

For projects that are more simple and what i make more often, like magpouches, chestrigs, etc, i do stencils from cardboard

20. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Really superb work mate :)