1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My keys are driving me nuts

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Balog, May 5, 2010.

1. Balog

Balog Loaded Pockets

FOr a long time, I kept my keys in my pants pocket. However, I've simply ran out of pocket space.

Wallet in RF, cell in LF, card key for work in LR, RR either empty of a thin knife clipped on depending on circumstances and pants. I don't want to carry multiple things in one pocket, but neither do I want to leave my keys danglin' and janglin' in the breeze on a belt clip.

What I'm considering, is a small carabiner of some type with a short length of cable that allow the key ring to be clipped to a belt loop and hang into the pocket. Admittedly it'd get in the way of drawing either the phone or wallet, but if the length was right I think it might work out ok.

Any other ideas? How do you carry your keys?

2. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I do exactly what you just said. I clip it onto my belt loop and it hangs inside my back right pocket behind my wallet.

3. Ajax

Ajax Loaded Pockets

Carabiner clipped to belt loop. I've seen carabiners with a short length of nylon webbing then a key ring.

You could probably mod one of those wallet chains to be just a keychain.

4. Balog

Balog Loaded Pockets

Any thoughts on good small carabiners? Most of the compact models I see are cheesy little things.

5. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I have used one of these http://www.cellsafe.com/keycover.html

It is basically a neoprene cover which goes over the keys and silences them so they do not jangle or poke holes in your clothes. I removed the velcro and replaced it with snaps, but otherwise I find the product to be helpful.

6. RobertRogers

RobertRogers Empty Pockets

I do the carabiner thing. Works well as long as the number of keys is within reason. Good find with the cellsafe.

7. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

I used to use a carabiner that I got on a drink bottle. It was decent. I tied a lanyard between the carabiner and a keyring and put my keys on the keyring. I recently started carrying a Maxped Remora and just throw the keys in the bag now. I only carry one key on my person and that is my motorcycle key. Which currently needs a new lanyard.

8. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

One set is on a carabiner with webbing and a split ring on the end. Dangles in right front clipped to belt loop. When I am carrying the other set I usually put them in my back left pocket and my wallet goes to my shirt pocket.

A pirate walks into a bar with a giant ships steering wheel attached to his hip. The bartender asks " whats with the wheel?", the pirate replies "arrgh, its driven me nuts!"

.....the post title made me do it! :)

9. seawolf69

seawolf69 Empty Pockets

I use a TEC P-7 suspension clip. Very discrete. The best thing that has happened to my keychain! I don't like the look of pouches or carabiners attached to the belt/loop.

10. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

1+ Great little buggers... Just make sure you get it attached before you play with it for to long, or it will get misplaced very quickly :'( true story....

11. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

With risk of being shut down ..
    There was a pirate that once said this while walking into a bar with his ships wheel in his knickers .. but it was not his keys ,)
    I actually have issues with my keys always . Not to be confused with my sailing ......

BE WELL .. GH

12. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

The EDCF Key Holder works really well too. I put a McGizmo clip on one of the rings and that attaches to a belt loop on my jeans. The keys dangle in pocket. I like the dangle as the framework of the jeans holds the keys up, they aren't weighing heavily at the bottom of a pocket.

13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If you don't like your keys jingling, you could always put them on a loop of cord. This will make them harder to take on and off, though.

Another option might be to carry the cell phone on a belt holster. Personally, I find that it's much more comfortable to sit with a cell phone in a horizontal belt holster than in a pocket. This method has the added advantage of protecting your phone from perspiration and humidity. It also frees up considerable pocket real-estate for other gadgets...

14. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Loaded Pockets

I carry my keys on a big split ring attached to a screw-in carabiner clipped to the RF pocket belt loop.Usually I don't carry anything else in that pocket.It's a little cumbersome with the keys, 2 keychains and one nail clipper but I manage. :D

15. c.joe
    • In Omnia Paratus

c.joe Loaded Pockets

I put my keys in the small pocket of my jeans (usually on the right side if you're wearing it). It's a pretty tight fit and I could afford to even put a few more keys. Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A quick lanyard that I tied onto my keys to give you an idea for a way to quickly access the keys.

[​IMG]

These are my keys + a Swiss Tech Utili-Key and a 4GB USB flash drive.

[​IMG]

16. StealthChaser13

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

I currently do that with a normal carabiner hooked to my belt...hanging off of that is a claw carabiner with my keys hanging below it into my pocket...

claw carabiner: http://edcdepot.com/theclaw.aspx

17. Geargrrl

Geargrrl Empty Pockets

I recently picked up a full strength Metolius mini biner at REI. It's only slightly larger than a toy biner (roughly 2"x3") and only weighs 23g. I think I paid $7.50 for it.

18. dewaddict

dewaddict Empty Pockets

I use a carabiner with a short paracord lanyard using a cobra weave. This way I can clip carabiner to belt loop and tuck keys into pocket, also gives you some paracord to use in case of emergency.

19. cerbera147

cerbera147 Loaded Pockets

Hi,

This is how I carry my keys and I have found it to be the best for me so far. Everything can be detached with my car key and Squirt S4 detached the fastest. On occasion I'll not want to or need to carry everything when leaving the car so the car key comes with me and the rest stays.

It is an S-Biner and while some people have had problems I have not. I actually glued the bottom gate permanently shut. It works for me.

[​IMG]

20. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

What about a 4-6 in. loop of para-cord. A simple hitch to your belt or belt loop would let them hang into your pocket. No clip, no noise.

In case what I'm describing is unclear, You'd run the (empty) 'end' of the loop through the belt-loop, then feed the (loaded) end w/your keys, through the loop of para-cord made by passing the empty end through the belt-loop.

Simple and cheap. My .02.