1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My girlfriend is shipping out today.

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by TheFactotum, Dec 11, 2013.

1. TheFactotum
    • In Omnia Paratus

TheFactotum Loaded Pockets

Hi guys,

I have some things that I need to get out of my system; I hope it's okay for me to post here. If not, let me know.

My girlfriend is shipping out for bootcamp today. She's in the Navy, and will be going to school after camp. She'll be gone for about 6 months or so. I know there are a lot of service members in the community, so I feel more comfortable putting this here.

To be honest, I don't really know what I'm looking for. Maybe I just need to tell someone, someone who might understand, that I'm going to miss her a lot. She's an amazing person, and I'm so proud of her for going. I know she'll be back--it's only a matter of time--but I can't control the longing. Anyhow, I'll cut the sappy stuff here.

Anyone been in this situation before, or one similar, who can give me some tips on how to deal? Tips for both me and her, actually. It would be great if someone can share their experience with being away from loved ones while being in the service. Words of encouragement would also be a god-send.

Thank you all for listening.

2. Joost Heijnen
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Joost Heijnen EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm sorry, I can only tell you that the six months will fly by before you know it..

Hang in there brother..

Edward Teach and GohawnFG like this.
  3. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't know what Navy boot is like, but writing letters always helps. Go easy on the care packages until she can tell you what she needs and what won't get her smoked.

Good luck! :D

4. ebekkers79

ebekkers79 Loaded Pockets

When my wife and I were dating she had to go abroad for about 3 or 4 months. It wasn't an easy time but we managed by calling, texting and writing each other a lot. And Joost is right; those six monte are over before you know it.

For us it was a great test for our relationship. It only got better.

Edward Teach and GohawnFG like this.
  5. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

x12!
    Letters in boot camp are a great motivator. Mail from home is definitely something a recruit looks forward to. Like Tmedina said go easy on anything that will draw undue attention. No stuffed animals or any lovey dovey stuff!

Edward Teach, RoadWizard and GohawnFG like this.
  6. TheFactotum
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thanks for the kind words, I'm sure it will get easier with time, and sometimes I do feel silly for getting worked up over 6 months.

Yeah, I'm definitely writing her. I've met with her recruiter a couple of times, and one thing she stressed was how much letters will help. She suggested starting right away, even before I get a hold of the mailing address there, so I'm doing that. I didn't realize I could send her anything bigger than an envelope until a couple of days ago, so I'm tentative about it, especially because I don't know what's okay to send and what's not. Thanks for the encouragement!

I agree; I believe this will be a great test for our relationship as well. It's not all bad, because once she graduates from boot camp she'll be able to access the phone and internet. I hear I can also pay her some visits on weekends, so I'm looking forward to that. Thanks for the support :)

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to make sure she has at least one piece of mail for every day she's there. I have no idea exactly how tough it will be over there and how much time she'll have for letter reading/writing, but I'm just going to keep sending them her way.

Thank you all for your words, you've already made my first day easier :happy:

Edward Teach, RoadWizard and Bkkrs like this.
  7. maritime16

maritime16 Loaded Pockets

Letters are great. Educate yourself on what she's doing and what she'll be doing. What rate is she going for?

GohawnFG likes this.
  8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

You can absolutely send care packages to Boot. That said, what you should send is highly limited - wait for her to either ask for something, or ask her what you can send. The restrictions loosen up quite a bit at her MOS school - at least it does for the Army.

I'm dying to know if she has to buy the old Fulton angle head flashlight. :D

RoadWizard and GohawnFG like this.
  9. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I feel your pain.
    I'm working out in Saudi Arabia, My Wife is back in the UK.
    I only see her every four months at the moment.
    To make matters worse, She's pregnant, and It's doubtful if I'll make it home for the birth.

I served, and I can tell you that the bright point of the day in basic was mail call.
    Getting a letter helps immensely.

10. larry h

larry h Loaded Pockets

Hello and Welcome to EDCF, enjoy! A tip on sending a package to her ask her when she can accept packages and when you send her any don't buy the foam peanuts for packing. Pop some popcorn, Unbuttered, throw in some prewrapped hard candies, now that's packing material.

GohawnFG likes this.
  11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Tell her we said 'thanks':) After its over it will have felt like time flys...:)

12. TheFactotum
    • In Omnia Paratus

Absolutely; I try to ask and understand as much as I can. She's going into the medical field, and will be a Hospital Corpsman, E3. At this point, she hasn't decided if she'll stop there or continue on to C school.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. What's with the flashlight? Do tell!

Wow, I can't imagine how hard that must be :( It certainly makes me feel like I shouldn't be whining. Thank you so much for your service, and thanks for chiming in as well. I sincerely hope you can find a way to make it home for your child's birth, and that you and your family can be reunited for good. It's tough being far away.

Hey, that's a pretty creative tip, thank you! I'll keep it in mind :)

Thanks for the sentiment, SAK, I'll pass it on :) And I know you're right, I just can't wait for time to do some flying right now!

Edward Teach and SAKplumber like this.
  13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I quote Billy Crystal in When Harry Met Sally:
    "When you figure out who it is that you want to spend the rest of your life with, you want the rest of your life to start right now"
    :D

PPCApache, Edward Teach and GohawnFG like this.
  14. TheFactotum
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hah! Very well put, SAK :) Now I think I need to go re-watch that movie.

SAKplumber likes this.
  15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

:D
    Favorite line:
    "No one I know would call me at this hour."

I answer my work phone with that line when my dispatcher calls me about once a week:p
    :rofl:

16. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Talk, text, and video are nice; however, nothing beats an old-fashioned love letter. Carefully draft what you wanna say, then carefully write it as neatly as possible. Write and send one once a week. She won't remember those countless phone calls and insipid text messages; however she will KEEP those letters especially when they are meticulously written on good-quality stationary like we old-timers once did several generations ago. Good luck.

SAKplumber and GohawnFG like this.
  17. TheFactotum
    • In Omnia Paratus

Great advice, and I couldn't agree more. I definitely know that she's one to appreciate old-fashioned hand-written letters. Thanks for the kind words!

18. Blaklader Pockets

Blaklader Pockets Loaded Pockets

+1 for the letters. Also, when I went to summer camp, my parents would cut out the best comics from the newspaper and send them to me in each letter. It was the best thing to get in the mail. Plus, you can pass 'em around...

Best of luck!

GohawnFG likes this.
  19. TheFactotum
    • In Omnia Paratus

Alright, I just received her call from bootcamp. It's kind of unfortunate that she had about 20 seconds to talk, but I'm glad I got a call at all, and I'm glad her commute's over and she's safe. She said she'd write me in two weeks and (try) to call me in three weeks. That's what I'll be looking forward to in the short term. In the mean time, I'm going to shoot her as many letters as I can. Thanks for all the support you all have given me, it really means a lot to me!

SAKplumber likes this.
  20. TheFactotum
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hey, that's a pretty dang good idea, I'll definitely do that! Thanks for the tip and kind words!

SAKplumber likes this.