1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My First Aid Kit

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by thegrouch314, Apr 4, 2017.

1. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I had my FAK out to check everything over for missing contents, expiry dates, damaged packaging etc so I figured I'm post a few pics. Well, quite a lot actually. This thread is photo heavy so be aware if you're on mobile that it might take a while.

This is my grab and go kit. It has a couple of everything for if i need to grab a kit quickly or if I'm going somewhere for a couple of days. I have a much more comprehensive one at home for everyday use.

It's a Conder rip-away EMT Pouch in red. Attached to the outside is a generic Molle pouch
    [​IMG]

Attached the the outside is a pair of shears and a cheap headtorch
    [​IMG]
    The headtorch is attached with a karabiner under the flap is such a way that a sharp tug will free it but it's not come loose on it's own (yet). The shears are just tucked in the velcro panel on the back. If I'm putting it in a bag then I run the strap through the handle to secure them.

The black pouch holds stuff I need quickly
    [​IMG]
    A tournequet, CPR face shield and 3 pairs of gloves, 2 large and one small, each individually wrapped in pairs.
    I carry different sizes of gloves because I have usually small hands so can't feel anything through the large but small are too small for other people. It doesn't show very clearly but each baggie is labelled and the large ones are blue whereas the smalls are purple.

Inside is 3 sections. The things I'm likely to need most urgently are on top so there's no digging around.
    [​IMG]

The left hand section: is loosely 'bleeding'
    \[​IMG]

1 - 6" Isreali Bandage
    1 - Haribo
    2 - Large gloves
    Micropore Tape
    Zinc Oxide Tape
    10 - Gauze Swabs depackaged to save space. If I'm using this kit, I'm not working in a sterile environment and clean is enough
    5 - Sterile Swabs. It doesn't hurt to have sterile ones though
    1 - Burnshield
    Assorted dressings
    1 - Sterile Scalpel
    2 - Button Torches, to complement the headlamp

The middle section is more about sprains
    [​IMG]

1 - Hand Sanitiser, attached to a stretchy thing so it can't get lost.
    1 - 1.5" Conforming Bandage
    4 - Alcohol Wipes, for sterilising hands and tools
    2 pair - Small Gloves
    1 - Triangular Bandage
    6 - Wound Wipes
    Paper
    Pen/torch
    1 - Crepe Bandage
    6 pairs Gloves, 3 Large, 3 Small
    1 - Conforming Bandage.
    1 - Mini Sharpie. I'm not sure why it's not in the photo. I probably used it and forgot to put it in the picture but it is in the kit

The end mesh section holds everything else.
    [​IMG]

Boo Boo Kit
    Dental Kit
    Mylar Blanket
    Lighter
    3 - Lollipops, for kids (and the odd adult)
    Pill Bottle with OTC pills
    Antihistamine and Antiseptic creams sealed in straws
    Fine Tweezers
    Blunt Tweezers
    5 ml Saline
    Scissors

Inside the Boo Boo Kit is
    [​IMG]

The contents are written on masking tape on the outside so no one has to rummage through it looking for something that isn't here.

2 - Burn Gel
    8 - Steri Strips
    6 - Wound Wipes
    4 - Alcohol Wipes
    Assorted Plasters.

The wipes are duplicated elsewhere but I like to keep my boo boo kit separate

Dental Kit
    [​IMG]

2 pairs Gloves, 1 Large, 1 Small. There aren't labelled because no one is going to be doing dental work on me while I'm unconscious.
    Floss with the cutter tucked inside in
    Orajel
    2 Sticks Sugarfree Gum
    Dental Tools and Mirror
    Dental Cement
    Mixing Tray
    Instructions
    Toothbrush and Toothpaste

This kit is designed to get me through 2/3 days with a broken tooth until I can see a dentist, not a permanent repair. The floss and toothbrush is because sometimes you get stuff stuck between your teeth and it really hurts. Gum makes a great temporary filling for a couple of hours, to stop sharp edges cutting your mouth.

Pill Fob and Creams
    [​IMG]
    The pill fob contains 1 dose each of
    Paracetamol
    Ibuprofen
    Antihistamine
    Buscopan
    Aspirin

The creams aren't measured as accurately but I've found they tend to be enough.

I don't use the aspirin as a painkiller but rather in case of a heart attack.

An overview of everything:
    [​IMG]
    Except for the Mylar Blanket, which I forgot

The reason I carrry so few meds is that in my pocket is a pill bottle with OTC meds as well as my prescription
    [​IMG]
    I've found the colour coded tin foil works great. There's a key in the lid for if other people use it. The pills in the baggie are my prescription ones. I don't colour code them because other people aren't going to be using them.

In my EDC bag I also carry 5 days worth of my prescription meds in a little case
    [​IMG]

Do you guys have any feedback? Anything major I've overlooked? I only carry things I'm trained to use so I don't have chest seals, OPA/NPA, anything like that. I live in a foirly urban area so this kit is designed to keep someone stable for 15 minutes or so until an ambulance can get here.

The red electrical tape is so I don't get confused as to what belongs in which kit when I'm overhauling all of them at the same time. I discovered that was necessary after opening up one and discovering 3 identical pairs of tweezers.

The scalped is new. Previously I carried a scalpel blade without a handle but I discovered it's hard to use safely while wearing gloves with blood on them so I upgraded to a disposable one but I've not had to use it. Thankfully I only had to use a scalpel blade once and it was on myself, to remove some metal that had got under the skin and it would have done more damage trying to pull it out with tweezers.

2. apprenticefitz

apprenticefitz Empty Pockets

Superglue, I have used it to close small clean fresh wounds before.

Gary Weinheimer likes this.
  3. Gary Weinheimer

Gary Weinheimer Loaded Pockets

Very informative, thank you.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

4. addictedhealer

addictedhealer Loaded Pockets

Very nice. I have taken a little different approach, I keep a first aid kit and a trauma kit in my truck. I wanted the simplicity of two separate pouches that way in the event of a severe injury I’m not digging through a bag of bandaids and other first aid only kit.

Also you might consider a small collapsible cpr mask. I’d get some chest seals if you aren’t trained maybe someone is around you.

Here is a picture of mine to comparison.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick4305 likes this.
  5. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would personally ditch the RATS and replace it with a proven tourniquet, like a CAT gen 7. I would also replace the quick clot sponge with combat gauze. the sponges are mostly for superficial wounds and not fit for penetrating trauma.

addictedhealer and Grappler like this.
  6. ParacordMan1220

ParacordMan1220 Loaded Pockets

I would keep the RATS for a secondary tourniquet (space permitting) and add an SOFT Wide in it as well. They fold and carry a lot more compact than a CAT, and they have a metal windlass which won't bend or break.

The Quik Clot is nice, but its expensive. Like he said, you can't pack a wound with a sponge and you can't cut it either. Its almost like a bean-bag. I'd keep a small pack for myself, but add a few vacuum sealed roller gauze for use on others.

#6 ParacordMan1220, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    addictedhealer likes this.
  7. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I carry two; a “Boo Boo” kit
    [​IMG]
    And a Trauma kit
    [​IMG]

8. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Well, this failed me today.

I keep this FAK on a shelf right next to my desk. It's easy to access and I thought it was quick to get to the important stuff (TQ, Isreali and gauze in this one) except today I sliced open my finger. It's only a small cut but because of where it is, it bled like hell. I grabbed for this FAK to get the gauze just so I didn't get blood everywhere and found out it's impossible to open this pack and get the gauze out one handed so I guess I'm gonna have to rethink this system.

9. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

If you want to spend the cash, I like my ITS Tactical tallboy ETA trauma pouch. It takes some effort to load it up, but once you get it, have it smashed in place, and zipped up for a couple of weeks, it becomes easier.

10. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

Be careful of QuickClot - I read it can cause health problem down the road, depending how much gets into the circulatory system. Maybe the latest gen QuickClot is different, I don't know. There is a product called Celox that is as effective, or better, but dissolves into glucose in the body - much safer.

11. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

Quik clot....well I am old school. Didnt have it but 4" Kerlix was used for a great pressure bandage many times. Cut it roll it shape it pack it wrap it and split the end and tie it if there is no tape or ace wrap handy.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.