1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My First Aid Kit

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Mark9117, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Mark9117

Mark9117 Loaded Pockets

Given the size, I can believe it. Looks like I'll agonize over another tourniquete purchase and add it to the Sam splint.

Thanks thekapow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

Stick with one of thenCOTCCC approved tourniquets. CAT, or the
    SOF-TW. At least those ones have been proven time and time in the most austere conditions.

Also. The CAT can also safely be used on kids. I carry enough cats and a SOF-TW in my vehicles for my entire family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mark9117

Mark9117 Loaded Pockets

Familiarity with the CAT makes it an automatic front runner.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

maillet282 likes this.
  4. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

Another option to create space in the main bag for the Sam splint and tourniquet is to add a small bag to the molle on the front of you bag an move the boo boo kit items into it. This way the main bag becomes your trauma kit and the minor injuries kit is in its own bag

5. Mark9117

Mark9117 Loaded Pockets

This strikes me as an idea. Would require relocation of the package currently on the molle, but could be done. Any suggestions for such an additional bag?

Edit: looks like a Maxpedition Fatty is about right but the price is a bit dear. Looking for alternatives.

Anybody know anything about the Horizon EMT Ripaway pouch:

EMT Pouch Rip-Away Brown https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W51X33N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_KhrSybNC8H69T

Or the Orca IFAK?

Orca Tactical MOLLE EMT Medical First Aid Pouch (Bag Only) (Woodland Camo) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B3HGVOC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_YkrSyb214V9YY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#25 Mark9117, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  6. Mark9117

Mark9117 Loaded Pockets

7. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Background - Red Cross First Aid 20 years ago, EMT-B 15 years ago and out of the volunteer EMS/firefighting about five years ago, so a modest background with several legit trauma incidents, penetrating wounds, amputations, etc. but never any direct care for a gunshot wound.

Opinions - I do have several of TK-4 and the longer L model for the leg. I purchased my first versions around ten years ago from Cav Arms, mainly based on the pocket size. They are pretty dated and I have heard reasonable criticism that they have limited effectiveness due to inadequate pressure applied to occlude arterial bleeds. Probably better than nothing, better than improvised TQs but not first rate. Upside is they a third of CAT.

A paramedic buddy scheduled a trading refresher on TQs for a few folks. I came away disappointed with the RATS and SWATT we tried out.

RATS is complicated to apply because the plate/buckle threading is not intuitive (for me), difficult to carry (even threaded around the waist) and did not look like a viable self-aid tool because of the rather inflexible tube when I tired on my own extremities.

SWATTs were a mixed bag - not good for self aid/application because you need three hands and it seemed more likely to fail if bloody, likely not enough pressure in some cases due to application challenges, etc. What most disappointed me was the SWATT rubber band ripped and catastrophically failed after a few applications. I do think they have some pressure bandage typed uses, so I actually ordered one set as a backup.

I have two SOFs. No doubt it works, especially the windlass, but not my first choice.

I have several CATS, including in my range bag, which is the most likely place to find someone shot or get shot myself.

8. Mark9117

Mark9117 Loaded Pockets

So, CAT it is. I really appreciate your input.

Loc-Nar likes this.
  9. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

As a Canadian army medic. I carry only cats and 1 SOF-TW. In my kit. I've deployed to Afghanistan with those and I know for a fact that the ones I carry are approved by the CoTCCC and are real.

If your going to buy any Tourniquets. Specially the CAT. Please buy them from a reliable source. I know they are around $30-$50( depending on currency) but don't cheap out on a cheap Chinese knockoff

Loc-Nar likes this.
  10. Loc-Nar

Loc-Nar Loaded Pockets

I carry CAT's as well. They are also used by our EMS system, as well as our Trauma Center's. Be sure you have some good Kling wrap/gauze to couple with your tourniquet. The tourniquet will simply slow the bleeding, but a direct pressure dressing on said wound will be what ultimately stops the bleeding.

Edit: Overall looks like a great kit with everything you would need for a BLS level of care in an emergent situation. I saw it mentioned earlier about the OPA (Oropharyngeal airway). Just be mindful, because those lawyers would have a field day in court if one was inserted into a patient without any certification to use one. Good Samaritan laws will only cover those with the licenses/certifications to back up the interventions that were performed. If you don't have an AHA BLS CPR certification you should look into it. Most classes will teach you basic airway maneuvers that can be performed (depending on the situation) without the use of an OPA/NPA.

#30 Loc-Nar, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    maillet282 likes this.
  11. Mark9117

Mark9117 Loaded Pockets

I'm not really in position to get the training given my work shift. I've also probably got a whole lot of training to to level up enough for that kind of credential. We'll see what the future holds.

And thanks for the feedback. I do appreciate it.

12. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Most of it has already been said, but here's some suggestions:

Add more gloves.

They take up almost no space, they weigh next to nothing and they are the first line of defense. When I don't need dexterity I usually double up on gloves (both in the field and in the hospital). The reason is that once you get blood (or whatever) on the top layer you can just discard them. As someone who uses many pairs of gloves every day I would also make this suggestion, get a larger pair if your chosen size fits you perfectly when you try them on at home you're going to be in trouble once you realize that your hands swell and get sweaty. Gloves that are too large are better than gloves that are too small.

Ditch the Velket tourniquet, as thekapow pointed out it is a venous tourniquet. Similar to a latex tourniquet for drawing blood. Since you have no way of starting IV access it's simply not needed. It can be used to fix bandages, but there's better items for that.

Add Coban wrap (or similar). Invaluable in all kinds of situations (or is the one labeled "confirming gauze" similar? If so disregard this).

I would also expect a kit this size to have at least two emergency/combat bandage kits/Israeli bandage.

Your blowout pouch contains (in my opinion, obviously) way too much stuff that's not related to blowout. Tweezers are not necessary, three pairs of scissors are not necessary (in that pouch, it's nice to have), hemostats are a mixed bag but ultimately I would keep one of them in there. Notebook could go somewhere else. When you need this you don't want to rummage through more equipment than necessary. Personally I would add another tourniquet if possible and another israeli bandage while moving the items above.

13. Mark9117

Mark9117 Loaded Pockets

I failed to mention that the CPR mask also has 2 pair of gloves in the package, but you're right in that they are small and cheap. I'll likely throw another couple of pair in the mix.

Ditched the Velket and added a CAT. Also other things. See the link for ver. 2. I'm not sure about the second Israeli bandage. I'm still stressed for space and as a basic first aid kit - not a first responder kit, just a big sort of IFAK, I'm hesitant to add a second. But we'll see where it goes from here. Conforming gauze does stretch. Not sure about Coban, but in ver. 2 I do have a roll of 2-inch cohesive bandage. I also have a roll of 4-inch, but there's no place to put it.

Take a look at this new thread which should put this one to bed. https://www.edcforums.com/threads/my-first-aid-kit-ver-2.137064/

14. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

What? Im pretty sure you ment something else. :)

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk