1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My FAK

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by elkhills, May 13, 2009.

1. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

In an effort to save space, I decided to downsize my First Aid Kit. I ended up getting a drop leg style, meant to be hung off a belt and strapped to your thigh, though I don't plan on using that way. Several guys on my Rescue team have them and like them, they just aren't big enough for my needs at work. Here I've split my stuff into two parts, Trauma and Medications.

This is the giant I was out to shrink. I really don't need to carry around an entire box of Bandaids, 6 rolls of Kerlix, etc.
    [​IMG]
    These are the two replacements. A BDU Pocket Pouch and the thigh pack.
    [​IMG]
    The BDU pouch holds pill bottles and med's like Tylenol, Asprin, Burn Gel, Eyewash, Neosporin, I even have a little sunscreen in there. First thing you see when you open it up is a pair of nitrile gloves and safety glasses, that way you can't forget! The outer mesh pocket worked good for small, flat things like Hand Sanitizer, Alcohol Wipes, Iodine Swabs, Hydrocortisone Cream and Bandaids. And of course, a sharpie, writes on everything.
    [​IMG]
    The Trauma Leg Pouch is similar to the Blackhawk Medic Pouch, but about a third of the price. First thing you see when you open it is gloves and a mask. Inside the first half is a pen light, tweezers, hemostat, razor knife (just in case!). Ther next slot is perfect for 4x4s and a couple gel pens, they seem to write better on gloves than a ball point. The third slot of half #1 holds a CPR Mask and Penny Shears.
    The second side of the pouch holds Kerlix, Israeli Trauma Dressing, Cold Pack and a Triangle.
    [​IMG]
    The little zippered outer pouch is again good for the little flat stuff I mentioned above.
    [​IMG]
    What I don't have in there yet, is a BP Cuff and stethescope, and I need to pick up some tape.
    So, what do you think?

2. cooter

cooter Empty Pockets

I like it. It looks like a good rig. You cover a lot of problems with the supplies on hand. I would suggest adding a couple of Immodium and a couple of Benadryl to the meds, and maybe tuck in a small piece of moleskin with the bandaids (blisters really slow you down).

I like the triangle bandage too. It is about the most versatile thing going. I keep 2-4 in the home/vehicle/BOB kits, along with a piece of dowel. They're old school, but they still work.

3. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Experiences are useless it evaluated experiences. That said, O0 You examined what you had, realized it was not working, and then made changes. The end result is a a beautiful FAK that works for you. It simple, yet elegant. It can handle a wide variety of issues.

How do you keep the two packs together? Does the small mesh one fit inside the other?

4. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys!
    The drop leg strap on top of the Trauma Pack can thread through the small handle on top of the BDU pouch to make them one unit. That sounds more complicated than it is, it takes about 5 seconds to attach them together.
    That said, I've been separating them for different situations lately. I've carried the Med half to work in my EDC bag, and the Trauma half on my enduro pack belt when off roading. They nest better in my current BOB as two separate packs.

5. Tmad

Tmad Loaded Pockets

...and it's pink O0