1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My FAK needs more!

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Anande, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Anande

Anande Loaded Pockets

Trying to upgrade my FAK but I need the advice of EDCF members to help me. Here are the contents:
    1 Leatherman raptor
    1 note pad and pen
    1 sharpie
    1 n95 mask
    1 pair of safety glasses
    1 head lamp
    1 flashlight
    Multiple nitrile gloves
    1 BP cuff
    1 bandana
    2 tongue depressors
    1 36" SAM splint
    1 ace bandage
    1 triangle bandage
    3 hand warmers
    1 ice pack
    1 emergency blanket
    1 saline bottle
    1 pocket mask
    1 full cpr mask
    6 butterfly bandages
    4 Occlussive petroleum bandages
    10 3x4 gauze pads
    3 gauze rolls
    1 rats tourniquet
    1 Israeli bandage
    Medications:
    Ibuprofen
    Aspirin
    Glucose gel
    Laxative
    Anti-diarrheatic
    All of this and a small boo boo kit
    I also have other stuff on the way such as OPA & NPA sets, activated charcoal, chemical lights, and a CAT tourniquet. If you can think of more please tell me. Also looking for ideas on how to store this stuff, like pills, gloves, and also backpack suggestions for the kit.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5870174965e2f/20170106_134738.jpg?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Water-Rat and Djs105 like this.
  2. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

Wow nice kit.

I assume this is in your trunk or house? I have my car FAK in a small EMS shoulder bag. Easy to find (HI VIZ/reflective), pretty reasonably prices, easy for a lay person to identify, durable.

3. Anande

Anande Loaded Pockets

Yes this is my car kit some of it isn't emergency medicine because I pull the kit apart for particular outings( camping, shooting, etc.) Thanks for the bag suggestion I have a hard time with that because I drive a single cab truck so there is not much storage room if I have a passenger.

4. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

Wow nice indeed.

Maybe add some: tweezers, safety pins, Quick Clot (or similar product), I'd add some more ace bandages.

Cloth tape + antibiotic ointment (or similar) in the boo boo kit?

How to store? My kit is in a LAPoliceGear bail out bag. A very nice and surprisingly sturdy bag for $22 or so. Do you prefer a messenger type bag (like the LAPG bob), sling bag, or backpack? Sling bags and backpacks can ride on your back and leave your hands free which might be more useful in an emergency situation. I bought the bob as a range bag and it ended up my FAK instead.

Djs105 and Water-Rat like this.
  5. Anande

Anande Loaded Pockets

The tweezers, safety pins, and ointment are in the book boo kit but I did forget tape thanks for that call out.
    I have considered quick clot but still can't decide if I want it or no (expensive addition and very difficult to get out of the wound after.) Right now my biggest limit is space I use a vanquest trident 20 and it is about ready to explode it's so full lol
    Can you send a picture of you lapg bag. I don't think in looking at the right one. As far as personal preference I sway towards a back pack for added mobility. But there are benefits to a duffle bag style.

6. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I'm using the regular bail out bag which is roughly 1000 cubic inches. There is a jumbo bail out bag (1300 cubic inches) but I would agree with you that a backpack is probably best. That would keep the weight centered on the body and leave both hands free. The Vanquest 20 is roughly 1300 cubic inches. If you like Vanquest items, they have the IBEX 30 backpack in the Fire Sale section. 30L (1830 cubic inches) for $112.

Vanquest is a forum supporter so I believe it is ok to link.
    https://www.vanquest.com/products/ibex-30-backpack.html

7. Anande

Anande Loaded Pockets

I am in love with that ibex. I have been debating over that or the propper U.C. pack. I like the idea of bags that are extremely customizable. That is my main problem with the trident is there's not many choices in how to configure my gear.

8. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

whats your level of training? biggest problem I see is your choice of tourniquet ;) good to see you have a CAT on the way, buy two more, carry 2 and one for training.
    this would be my notes: [​IMG]

9. Anande

Anande Loaded Pockets

So I have EMT basic training but never practiced as one. As far as Laxative and charcoal they are both good for digestive issues while camping so I just leave them in my car kit, like I said before I just disassemble my car kit when I go camping. Thanks for the call out on the OPA forgot about that. I didn't forget about the lube though just didn't mention it. Some of that stuff I just happened to have like the pocket mask and ice pack so they were just thrown in, I don't like pocket masks but as back up they are pretty decent and the ice pack may come in handy for heat related troubles. Thanks for the suggestions definitely going to make those adjustments

10. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

Spare batteries and consider adding additional face masks, I've had blood spurt out almost 3'. I also like to have a couple of small trash or biohazard bags for disposal of contaminated items like used gloves and general trash. Also useful would be a disposable poncho or two to keep your clothing from getting contaminated or dirty and a pack or two of baby wipes or other antiseptic wipes

11. Anande

Anande Loaded Pockets

I actually do have a poncho in there I just never considered that use for it. Thanks for the tip. Those are all great ideas, especially the bags I can't stand when I see people throw even slightly bloody gloves in a regular trash can