1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My FAK in progress..

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by SwampDonkey, Apr 26, 2020.

1. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Added a few items this weekend and have a SAM splint in route. Can go in my edc bag or on my battle belt in seconds. For bleeds, blow outs or ouchies. Any recommendations? Need ems scissors next for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

It worked

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

SwampDonkey likes this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Small bottle of stroh 80 or you choice of internal disinfectant

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

SwampDonkey likes this.
  4. SwampDonkey

Funny man....that stuff goes in the EDC bladder pouch bro.

A.B. likes this.
  5. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Steri-strips - They work great at helping to close a cut and take up no space.

Burn gel

Mylar blanket

Mole Foam - great for blisters

#5 SOS24, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    SwampDonkey likes this.
  6. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

@SwampDonkey Great stuff you picked.

BTW: What's the type of injury you want to fix with this kit?
    From what I see in the picture you seem to focus on bleeding wounds, correct?

For me, it was a kind of a process which ended in different kits:
    1. compact EDC pouch (includes and URIEL bandage and some make-shift chest seal + band-aids and a daily dose of pain killers)
    2. serious Trauma Kit (for life threatening wounds), including trauma shears, Israeli pressure bandage, CAT Gen 7. TQ and a Hyfin vented chest seal - I will add a NPA & lube after I've got my enhanced first aid course & certificate later this year
    3. Medic Kit (for smaller mishaps like band-aids), and some more pain killers, upset stomach, diarrhea, plus a SWAT-T as a 2nd TQ and for splinting

All three kits go into my backpack (as it has sufficient space), but if I'm pressed to do with less I pick the trauma kit (shoulder bag) or just carry the EDC pouch (which rides on my belt or in my jacket).

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Apr 26, 2020
    #6 FiaOlleDog, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  7. SwampDonkey

THANKS. Yep, initial idea was anything that would KIA you if you did not contain blood loss and then just the minor ouchie stuff (minor cuts and abrasions). I am prior Army (11B not medic) and did study some of the Medic media I could find online to halt major bleeding and that was the concept. Any insight is absolutely appreciated.

Agree for EDC some stomach blocker. SWAT T is in the pic and bag ;). SAM split arrives on Monday.

8. ffmedic245

ffmedic245 Loaded Pockets

I'd suggest ditching the 2x2 gauze to save room. What ever you'd use them on can just as easily be controlled with a 4x4. Add a sharpie and a penlight.

FiaOlleDog and SwampDonkey like this.
  9. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

+1 on the burn gel, mylar blanket and some form of blister treatment (from painful experience, it can be hard to walk anywhere to get one!). I'd also strongly recommend eyewash pods.

If you're looking at mostly self-treating, then someone on here once suggested an unbreakable mirror (hard to self-treat head wounds without one). If you have kids then someone else on here once suggested children's plasters / bandaids to treat the psychological aspects of a skinned knee.

10. SwampDonkey

Great gents, thanks. Keep em coming.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  11. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

@SwampDonkey Thanks for your post. It made me to lay out my trauma kit - just for you ;)

Purpose: cover M, R and H of the MARCH scheme (see: Which Trauma Scheme (ABCDE, MARCH, ...) have you been teached / used?) in public/private space as part of my bag EDC (read: no combat as I'm a civilist, no first responder as I'm not a member of EMS, etc.).

General stuff:
    • 2 pairs of nitrile gloves: self protection
    • trauma shears (strapped on outside of pouch): cut through clothing or seat belt
    • 2 alcohol swaps: to wipe blood away to better stiff HyFin or desinfect stuff on the fly
    • red Sharpie-type pen: to write time of TQ application on TQ label or casualty (forehead)
    • not included as I'm carrying it as part of my EDC: flashlight: see in dim/dark environment

M: massive hemorrhage
    content: Israeli bandage, CAT Gen 7 TQ + S-rolled Gauze, several 4"x4" both normal and aluminum coated pads to cover a burn wound
    usage: pressure bandage, stop blood flow for (partial) amputations, wound packing

R: respiratory
    content: HyFin vented compact chest seal (pack includes two - for entry and exit wound in torso/lung)
    usage: provide occlusive mechanical barrier for open cheat wounds
    content: Needle decompression kit
    usage: not by myself (as I'm not trained), but carrying it for a potential doctor/combat medic that may know how to use it [yes, there are pro's & con's carrying expert stuff - I see it as a last resort if I'm the casualty]

H: hypothermia
    content: space/mylar blanket, would like add a self-heating pad (can be glued to clothing layer next to skin) - but ran out of space in the trauma kit package
    usage: to shield casualty from environment/weather (wind, rain), slow down loss of body temperature and also provide psychological barrier from by-standers

H: head-injury
    content: Israeli bandage
    usage: cover head wounds

This all fits in a small pouch (18cm x 11cm x 7cm or 7in x 4.3in x 2.8in).

Not included/covered:

A: airway
    future content: NPA with glue
    future usage: ensure open airway
    Will be covered later this year after I've accomplished extended first aid training.
    Adding this will require a little larger pouch, which will also fit the self-heating pad and a burn dressing pad.

C: circulation
    TBD

What do you guys including in your IFAK for "C"?

More important than stuff is:
    1. knowledge: understand how the body works (should work), get a first aid course and refresh every 1-2 years
    2. skills: train with real material (yes, this requires to buy two sets of bandages, gauze pads, etc. - but it's worth it to quickly and safely apply during stress)

Stay safe & safe life!

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Apr 27, 2020
    #11 FiaOlleDog, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  12. SwampDonkey

WOW FIAOLLEDOG Nice! I served a few years in the army and have some very basic insight into immediate care to stop a bleed. Not sure I would tackle the R (maybe maybe not based on my knowledge) A or C. My purpose for my FAK is to halt/slow major bleeds from a major cut, abrasion or worse..gunshot wound. Secondary is to have supplies for minor ouchies/cuts/etc to keep on moving.

Some take away's for me so far from this thread to add to my kit.

- Mylar blanket (I actually do have one in my EDC bag, just not in the FAK) but may buy an extra
    - Burn cream/ointment.....Now on the list to buy
    - EMS sheers
    - Your two flags: Red sharpie for tourney and chest wound seals (which I do have some basic knowledge how to use)/needle kit
    - Rescue/field mirror

There are a ton of manuals/articles/etc online regarding the basics on field medic actions. It is a perishable skill for sure. Having some basic insight on how to mitigate blood loss in a situation is a really important skillset to have in the EDC mindset IMHO, hence the prep and the post.

13. ffmedic245

ffmedic245 Loaded Pockets

Make sure to double check the legalities of a needle kit, especially if you're unlicensed.

14. volvoboy

volvoboy Loaded Pockets

@SwampDonkey I think you have a great start and you've received some great suggestions from others. If you have room I might include a couple of compressed gauze (severe bleeding), and if you are looking to have more comprehensive fracture/sprain supplies then another triangle bandage and elastic wrap (to use with SAM splint and to secure shoulder injuries). In my bag I have all the "boo boo kit" stuff in a separate ziplock bag within my FAK so that I can get to the supplies needed for the everyday cuts and scrapes without having to dig through the other gear.

SwampDonkey likes this.