1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My Emergency Car Kit

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by BiggDaddy485, Oct 18, 2012.

1. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

You need a Bow saw as even a small tree can block the road and also a good car jack and a better shovel,,,,,, those folding entrenching tools are fine if you get caught short but as I found out to my cost on Salter's Fell they are not really up to serious digging,,,,,,, On my own and 12 miles from the nearest farm ,, my 4 x 4 slid off a hump into a boggy hole. This took me a couple of hours to get out of. My emergency food took a beating as I sat down and had a think and then using an inadequate folding shovel (it broke after a couple of minutes) and a hi-lift jack. I worked it out. After I had relieved some of the the soil from under the chassis and breaking the shovel ,, I tied a rope to my spare tyre and threw it in the boggy ground so the jack had something to work against ,,,, I jacked it up a couple of feet and then pushed it sideways off the hump ,, and when the vehicle was back on 4 wheels,, pulled the spare out of the mire with the rope

[​IMG]

ac7ss likes this.
  2. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Some excellent ideas in this topic.

3. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't know about you, but with my luck...if I ever got stranded in a vehicle even for a shorter timeframe...I would need to use "the facilities", "the outhouse" or whatever you prefer to call it. Sooner or later nature calls. Will you survive without the items I'm about to suggest ???...YES, but trust me...you'll want these items when the time comes and it's all miserable.

• Get yourself some toilet paper. I got myself some very compact rolls (Charmin brand) that are encased in a clear plastic dispenser. You can find these and similar items at your local Wally-World and other local supermartkets or in any camping, outdoors store or even in gas stations. If not..they can easily be found online. They are usually fairly small and very compact, so get at least two rolls (Two is one, one is none). Believe me when I say they also come in handy on a roadtrip or when you're out in the wilderness. ;)
    • Get yourself a nice bottle of hand sanitizer. If you're not fond of hand sanitizer, get yourself some wet wipes. This item can be found everywhere and you more than likely already have some, but get yourself a decent size bottle of hand sanitizer and/or a big pack of wipes for your vehicle. Hand sanitizer is nicely flamable and can be used to start a nice fire. (Obviously, don't start a fire inside your car)

mooshisho and BiggDaddy485 like this.
  4. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

^ Those Charmin rolls are expensive for what they are. Instead, on a lazy day, I will actually sit down and roll my own from a normal roll of toilet paper. That way, I get it to the size I want with the brand/type I want. These rolls then go into little zip lock baggies. :)

I've seen others just take out the cardboard roll and just squash it flat, but I like rolling these to the desired size.

5. BiggDaddy485

BiggDaddy485 Loaded Pockets

I'm in a very special category there as I live with Ulcerative Colitis (form of inflammatory bowel disease). Not shown is my "poop bag" as my girlfriend likes to call it. Wet wipes, spare underwear, and a full roll of TP. I've actually carried this in my EDC for years, much the same as a diabetic would carry insulin or a chocolate bar. On that note, maybe I should start a Medical EDC thread for the people like me who have certain needs that need to be met.

Also, this is my 100th post! :)

billybogota and mooshisho like this.
  6. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I was not able to find it on their US site or on US amazon, but here in Germany they sell a “Fiskars Universal Shovel” I would suggest to use instead of these folding shovels. I have one of these and a Fiskars sliding saw in my car (and many other items).

7. BiggDaddy485

You're probably right. Unfortunately, I still need to have a usable trunk. And as the shovel is used only for clearing small amounts of snow, it does a pretty good job. Not too often I find myself mudding in my Civic, but I do agree that it wouldn't be a very good choice for anything more than light snow removal. I also have my eye on a folding saw as my budget will allow. I've seen them as low as 12 bucks in my area.

8. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

How about some disposible handwarmers great for some quick heat to keep you warm or warm someone stuck in the cold. I usually have a few in my truck all year round just in case.

BiggDaddy485 likes this.
  9. wildborego

wildborego EDC Junkie!!!!!

Looks like you are ready for the cold

10. Pilgrimm

Pilgrimm Loaded Pockets

Ditto on that, for 2, youll pay just as much as a pack of TP. I do have a handful of those rolls laying around however, though I prefer to choose and take my own roll.

I chose to take the roll out of the TP in the middle, and just put mine in a large Ziploc nag and throw it in my car kit. You have a full roll of TP and a large Ziploc just in case at that point.

mooshisho likes this.
  11. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I don't have a folding entrenching tool, I just have a small shovel (about 24" handle to blade tip) that lives in the minivan. (My commuter wouldn't fit it and I drive interstate only.) Much more durable than any folder, not likely to be re-appropriated for yard use.

12. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I have a small garden shovel with fiberglass handle overall lenght is about 20 inches I keep in the truck. Winter time I just grab one of my square point shovels.

13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I have both a garden shovel and a collapsable snow-shovel in the trunk of my car. Honestly though, the snow-shovel is more pragmatic for my needs since the only thing I'm likely to encounter here is snow.

BiggDaddy485 likes this.
  14. BiggDaddy485

Thats where I'm at.. I need to pick up some ice melt as well.. Maybe some kitty litter.. I feel those items would be more useful in my situation

15. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

Just smoosh a roll flat, no need to fight with the tube

Sent from my Mobile Command Center via Tapatalk II

16. kwak

kwak Loaded Pockets

Can't see a whistle in there.
    Granted the car horn is likely louder, but if your stuck in a snow bank, bonnet first the horn is going to be seriously muffled.

I've also seen emergency flags which would be really useful if your stuck in a snow storm as rescuers would be able to see your in distress from the flag even if the car is buried.

Emergency triangle would be useful as well.

Personally i would add a few big bottles of water in there.
    Yes they will freeze up, but still if you have a stove of the car engines running it's fresh clean water and it'll take a lot less time and energy to defrost them than melting snow.

I keep a tarp in my car, that's mainly for a sun shade rather than anything else, but i would still keep a tarp, emergency bivvy bag and some very very warm blankets in the car.
    In my experience our snow scrape was warmer than the car

mooshisho likes this.
  17. KLF

KLF Loaded Pockets

This is more into motorcycle/snowmobile world but still:

http://www.hellotrade.com/forankra-abt-ab/strapulli-cargo-lashing-equipment.html (first english link I found).

It's basically a ratchet strap but the strap goes thru instead of being collected, so it can be used to winch. Looking at the specs (in finnish, sorry) it can pull 500kg so pulling a modern car out of a ditch is out of question but as said, snowmobiles and offroad motorcyclists use those a lot (they can go into places where it's rather difficult to get out of). Pricewise, local shop has them for 39,95e so I really need to remember pick one next time I'm around :)

If someone was just stuck on a snow, I'd use that as leverage. Attach one end on my own car and then winch while the other car tries to back up from the snow. It is more effective that way than trying to pull the other car because most probably you are on ice/icy road too with very little traction to begin with.

Wool blanket and space blankets. Good gloves, beanie and maybe rubber boots, wool socks and during wintertime a one piece ice fishing suit. Not the expensive one that floats but one of those warm ones that are water and windproof. Because you cannot wear that blanket very efficiently, if you are going to shovel snow or tow someone else and you are wearing the clothes you had in the office... Something simple as this: http://www.eraplus.fi/product_pictures/medium/2640-2888-1001-1000.jpg goes for 70-80 euros and ones that cost 250e look just the same...

I know I don't dress for long walks in the snow even in the hardest winter if I'm going to work. It's 30 metres from the home door to the car and even less from the parking lot at the office... (and a 5km drive to the office, in the city).

I see the metallic shovel in the first post. I have one like it and I actually needed it to hack some ice last spring, having only a snow shovel would not probably have helped much. Tip: If one feels like it, sharpen one edge and you have a simple axe.

18. mud80

mud80 Loaded Pockets

I picked up a dozen of these to put in different car kits about 5 years ago, for $3 each. Looks like they're closer to $5 now, but seem to me to be a good back-up for strobes and road flares. Light weight, visible for 1/2 mile, handy for impromptu dog walks in the woods, long shelf life (unpackaged one the other day and still going strong)
    [​IMG]
    pet blinker by Mud80, on Flickr

Also, how about a Crovel or small folding trench shovel you could sharpen the side edge of

19. BiggDaddy485

Update: Added the following:

-Whistle
    -Fire steel with magnesium block
    -Hacksaw blade with duct tape handle
    -Items to the F/A kit which is almost complete
    -Reorganized my clothes and added more TP

A buddy of mine is gonna grab some flares for me from his work. I don't foresee using them with all the options I have, but doesn't hurt.

SurvivePenna likes this.
  20. BadgerX

BadgerX Loaded Pockets

Ill be putting my winter truck bag together soon, thx for the post

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2