1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My EDC Light setup - what I've settled on after 10 years of experimentation

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by World in Transition, Aug 21, 2015.

1. World in Transition

World in Transition Loaded Pockets

Main light (on a TAD retractor):

A modified Sunwayman V11R (Called a V11Rvn) - out of the box it does 200lm and a guy on Cadlepowerforums.com called Vinh Nguyen buys them and modifies them to hit 900lm - plus you get to pick the colour temperature, I personally prefer a warmer temp (4000K) - It has a magnetic ring that allows for infinitely variable brightness control. I’ve had mine for over 2 years and it’s bulletproof.
    It takes one CR123A Lithium battery, or one RCR123A. I personally use the optional AA extender allows for use with AA Alkaline and 14500 Lithium cells (Same as my head torch below, I use lithium in all my lights, 3 times the voltage = 3 times as bright! But you can only use lithium in lights designed to take the extra voltage.). Waterproof to IPX8 (2 meters, indefinitely)

You'll find a great review and can buy one over at Candlepowerforums

Head Torch:

Zebralight H52w AA Headlamp in Neutral White (Lives in my EDC pack)
    Uses a single cell (Lights that use an odd number of batteries annoy the living hell out of me, you buy them in even numbers, charge them in even numbers why the hell would you want light that uses an odd number?!)
    Can take 14500 lithium cells taking the top setting to 500lm
    Waterproof to IPX7 (2 meters, 30 minutes)
    On its lowest setting of 0.01lm 1 cell lasts 3 months continuous - it’s enough light to not bump into things around camp, epic feature for emergencies where you need the battery to last

Keychain light:

For 5 years or so I’ve been using variants of the same light, here is a rundown of some of the features of the different models:

All models:
    Use a Cree LED that can take a 10440 Lithium cell and hit over 200lm (which is insane for such a small light!)
    Waterproof to IPX7 (1 meters, 30 minutes)
    Can use the white lid of a lip balm tube as a perfect diffuser

The original: ITP A3 EOS

Discontinued but still available [removed; deal spotting; Rule 14] (not for much longer, I have 10 put away for a rainy day)
    Very strong permanently attached keychain and clip
    Pocket clip is reversible, allowing for hat brim attachment
    Brightness mode L-M-H - my favourite as it doesn’t ruin you night vision or disturb others when you first turn it on
    Can’t tail -stand because of keychain

First Olight variant: Olight i3

Discontinued but still available [deal spotting; Rule 14]
    Permanently attached pocket clip (much stronger and better if you use it and don’t need the reversible one i.e. don’t wear a hat often)
    Brightness mode M-H-L
    Flat bottom for tail-stand
    No keychain

Current Olight variant: Olight i3s

Detachable keychain (Poor quality, I’d replace it)
    Brightness mode M-H-L

The Rolls Royce: Maratac Stainless Steel AAA Flashlight

Stainless Steel rather than aluminium
    Glow in the Dark front O-ring that charges when the light is being used
    Glow in the Dark rubberised Diffuser which can live permanently on the light as you carry it
    Flat bottom for tail-stand
    Brightness mode M-L-H
    No Keychain but you can add one

Now that I’ve used this I can’t go back, this is one of the coolest lights I’ve ever seen! The Diffuser is excellent and stays on mine permanently, I can hang the light off my pocket or belt loop as I’m doing something and it illuminates the whole area around me, stand it on the table as a mini camp light, and when you stop using it the diffuser glows for hours making it easy to find. I f you only carry one light, this is the one.

Charger and protected batteries:

When using Lithium batteries I feel it’s important to spend the extra money and get protected cells. These have a circuit built in which prevents over discharge (which can kill the cell). Trustworthy brands are Xtar and AW.

Also it’s VERY important that you only put lithium batteries in devices that can handle the extra voltage. All the lights above can handle them, even though there is some contention on whether you should - I’ve thoroughly tested them and never had an issue.

Chargers:

I like my chargers to be able to run off a USB port so I can charge my batteries off a portable solar panel, a larger Lithium power bank or a USB port in the car. Ideally it’s great if they can charge Lithium and standard NiMh batteries too. Here are my favourites:

Xtar VC2 USB Battery Charger

This only charges Lithium batteries - It’s my main Lithium charger.
    Each channel is independent
    Soft-Start function to avoid damage from large charge current while charging
    Precise cut-off voltage at 4.2V
    LCD displays each battery real time status - If charging from fully flat you can see how much charge the battery holds in mAh
    Built-in reverse-polarity and short-circuit protection
    0V activation function can wake up over-discharged batteries (which won’t be needed if you use protected cells)

SoShine SC-H2 LCD Universal Charger

This charges both Lithium and standard NiMh AA and AAA. Best choice if you want just one charger for all your batteries.

Comes with USB, 12v Car lighter and 110v/230v mains cables.
    Each channel is independent
    Automatic 3.7V / 1.2V battery cell voltage and polarity detection
    0V activation function can wake up over-discharged batteries (which won’t be needed if you use protected cells)

Klarus CH1 Li-ion Ni-MH Battery Charger

Awesome travel/EDC charger - Great feature is a standard 5v 1A USB outport port which means you can used charged cells to charge your phone or other USB device - I carry high capacity Lithium power bank for this job but this is a great emergency back up option!

Charges both Lithium and standard NiMh AA and AAA
    Automatically identifies battery type and chooses the correct charging mode
    Advanced short-circuit, overcurrent, and overcharge protection

Joyetech eCab 10440 Battery Charger

If you only use 10440 cells, this is the greatest! Super compact with built in USB cable, 2 independent channels and you can leave 2 charged cells in it in securely so you’ve always got spare cells and a charger on you or in your EDC pack. Lithium only.

Cottonpicker Charger

World’s smallest Li-ion charger with display & built in voltmeter

This is a combined voltmeter and li-ion charger in one with multiple current levels to suit different sized li-ion cells. Use it to quickly check li-ion battery voltages, and if low just plug it in to a usb socket to charge them. The voltage meter will show voltages from 3v to 25v so is perfect to let you know when you've overdischarged a cell.

Last edited by World in Transition, Aug 22, 2015
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well you hardley have to convince anyone here,we are already pretty much onboard?

But your title sort of imlles you imply make an argument for what it says,that you will be better by carrying a light at all times.

Then it does nothing towards that at all?

Not sure how you telling people which lights you prefer will convince any non-light carriers that they should indeed be carrying?
    People not into lights will have little idea of what you are even talking about here.

I do not understand the logic here at all?

Didn't you leave the convincing out?

3. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

I use mine daily looking up the path, using it rather then the light to not wake my wife, looking under the couch lol

4. World in Transition

Changed the title for you mate. Just wanted to share my setup. I actually wrote this up to share with my non light carrying friends on Facebook and had an overwhelmingly positive response - about 20 friends ordered lights after reading and a little guidance in the conversation that followed - felt that perhaps someone here might get something from it also. If you haven't I'm sorry.

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

It seems you missed my point entirely?
    I have no stake in this either way.

6. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I have a V11R, lovely little torch it is to,...tell me, how long is the run time at 900 lumens?

7. World in Transition

I'd say around 30-40mis but it's hard to say, I'm constantly adjusting the brightness depending on what I'm doing...

8. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Thanks,.....that's longer than I would have thought, I bet that it would get rather too hot to hold as well. Lol

9. World in Transition

Surprisingly not, but again, I haven't deliberately tried to see if it would. But in day to day use I've never noticed it get really hot.

10. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Nice, gear.... thanks for sharing, I have some of the same stuff. Some quick thoughts:

- ZLs makes a good efficient light, but they rather badly exaggerate their sub-lumen efficiency of their lights, for both output and runtime. My SC52 tested dead last in terms of sub-lumen efficiency (lumen-hours) among ~5 other moonlight lights, in side-by-side tests, although it spec'd the highest efficiency. My sample also seems consistent with others reports of output, runtime and tailcap current measurements.

- I also EDC the Klarus CH1, but I would only charge a 4.35V Panasonic cell in it. HKJ tested its CV at ~4.27V which borders on dangerous for typical 4.2 cells.