1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My EDC for past six years.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by brevous, Sep 2, 2010.

1. brevous

brevous Empty Pockets

Hello everyone!

This is my first post, and I thought I would introduce myself by showing everyone the most meaningful EDC item I have ever owned: My Benchmade 710HSBK.

[​IMG]

The 710 was the first 'real' knife I ever bought myself, just over six years ago. I had searched for months on end, scouring forums, and finally found the knife for me. Six years later, and I could not have been happier with my purchase.

I have probably gone a total of no more than twenty or so days without this knife in my right front pocket, and it has certainly seen more than it's share of daily use. From cutting the easy things like paper and cheese, to stripping hundreds of heavy gauge wires (electrical field here), carving sticks and cleaning nails and prying nails (yeah, I know), I have done it all with this knife. I have kept it quite sharp with a Spyderco Sharpmaker and an Edgepro in tandem over the years, using the edgepro only once a year or so when I feel a true re-profiling is needed. The sharpmaker is used every couple weeks to every couple of months depending on my laziness and necessity for sharpness. Due to the fact that the steel used in this blade is M2, it is incredibly difficult to sharpen, taking many times longer than any of my other knives with 154CM or even D2 steel, although the length at which a usably sharp edge is kept is astounding. The blade has been chipped quite severely too many times to count, though they always sharpen out with a couple hours of elbow grease invested. I wish I had an identical yet brand new knife to compare mine to, as I sometimes wonder how much of the blade has been turned to dust! To those of you wondering about the rusting factor of an M2 carbon steel, I will tell you that I have never seen even a hint of rust on the blade or elsewhere, even living here in the Pacific Northwest where rain is the norm. I have never hesitated to put my knife in my pocket wet, and it has even been camping with me many times where constant moisture and wetness has been the environment for days on end.

When the knife was about two years old, one of the Axis lock springs broke, and I had the knife repaired @ the Benchmade shop, which happened to be only a twenty minute drive from my house. They replaced the washers on either side of the blade, and the spring, and the knife was back on my doorstep within the week. I am particularly amazed at how well the knife has held up over the years. I use it extremely roughly at times, and the lockup is still rock solid, with only the tiniest amount of side-to-side blade play (identical to when it was brand new, in fact).

I have tried to EDC many different knives in addition to my 710, though not one has ever even held a candle to it. This has led me in search of a second 710HSBK, though when I do see them on Ebay or whatever, the price is usually pushing $250, and that is quite high, seeing as how I paid $130 for it originally.

As you can see in my picture here, the blade's black coating has been heavily marred, and I have colored the scales with gold paint (mostly worn off), and I am always putting pieces of tape and stuff on it (I think it looks cool). Regardless though, this knife has been a workhorse through and through, and I would buy another in a heartbeat if I could find one at an affordable price.

Thanks for reading my long winded entry here. When you have a piece of equipment with such use and history, it certainly seems as though the respect is due.

Brevous

2. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

A memorable interesting first post. The forum has always encouraged people to make posts that contribute interesting knowledge, & I think this has been one of those kinds of contributions. Welcome to the forum.

Regards,
    --Moderator Boy SureFire

3. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

That is a beautiful knife. The wear only makes it look better.

Want one in D2? I've got one. I'd be more than okay with selling mine outright to such a devoted fan of the design. Send me a PM if you're interested. I'm not trying to frivolously push my ad; just offering what seems helpful to another knife lover.

http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/74097-FT-Benchmade.-FS-Urban-Tool

4. FreestyleAssassin

FreestyleAssassin Empty Pockets

Keep on truckin!

Nothing more beautiful than a knife that has the look that it has actually LIVED A LIFE!

5. davem

davem Loaded Pockets

As an avid knife fan and collector, I love seeing a folder that's put to the test for which it was designed: reliable utility, and rugged usability. Your post is a respectful tribute to the fine craftsmen and knife makers at Benchmade. Every knife maker I know would respect this post.

Side note: I have a BM 710 too. I always liked how the Axis lock was lefty friendly....

6. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Now that's a tool that's been used well!!

The 710 is a definite classic. Mine was my primary EDC for a couple of years, but unlike you I cant' resist trying out the new ones. That said, if I had to pick just one knife to carry, it would be right at the top of my list!

7. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Brevous, welcome to EDCF. The BM 710 is one of Benchmade's best designs - good choice for a first knife!

If you want to modify your knife, look around here and you can get some great ideas on how to customize it. For instance, if the scales are fading and you want to darken them up, use Rit dye. If you want to remove the black coating on the blade, there are tutorials for that, too.

FWIW, I really don't get the tape, but to each his own. :thinking:

8. Frstr8

Frstr8 Loaded Pockets

Great post. That knife is a beauty!

9. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I recently purchased a Benchmade 710D2 from www.gpknives.com. Great company, by the way. I paid $118.22 delivered. It's a great knife and probably my favorite EDC carry, too. Unfortunately, mine had not been sharpened really well at Benchmade, so I'm going to send it back for the LifeSharp service. Regardless of the original expense as well as the time and trouble to send it back, I really believe that this is a truly great knife as well as a great American iconic knife.

10. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

There is no problem carrying a piece of gear for that long. I have carried the same knife since I bought it from Jon years ago, a Spyderco Delica 4. The good thing about a BM or Spyderco, like most other gear touted on this forum, is they will last past six years, as your's has proven.

11. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

I love the look of a well used -and loved- knife! Welcome!

12. Kraid

Kraid Loaded Pockets

Thats REALLY cool! Thank you for sharing!

13. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

Not many people EDC the same knife for that period of time. Thanks for that post, it's nice to see knives that are actually used.

14. codewarrior

codewarrior Loaded Pockets

Truly a delight to see a grizzled warrior still in use and delighting it's owner. Thanks for the posting.

15. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux Loaded Pockets

EDCing a blade for that long makes for quite the beautiful "Patina". Great post, and welcome to EDC Forums!!!

16. speedmaster

speedmaster Loaded Pockets

Very cool, nice choice, that's read EDC! ;-)

17. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Loaded Pockets

Wonderful story, knife has some character. Thanks for posting!

18. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

there is nothing better than well used gear! thanks for the pics!
    I'm working on my ESEE's as much as I can - less "shiny" and more "well loved!"