1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My customised firesteel!

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by nicknwong, Mar 11, 2008.

1. nicknwong

nicknwong Loaded Pockets

Well Im glad you all liked my little DIY project so I thought I would just give a bit of info on it.

I actually made this a while ago and some of you might of read it on USN or BF a few weeks back... never knew why I didnt get around to putting it on EDCF.

Well, I basically started with a old and battered spy capsule (free from EDC depot) and a blank firesteel from Bens Backwoods when I picked up a Mora 2000. Its relatively a simple idea but if you dont pay attention to the little things it wont come out so nice. First thing is to pick up the materials and all you really need is a cordless drill and some epoxy. Sandpaper if you want the spy capsule finish gone.
    My capsule was a little beat up so I chucked it up in the drill and just wrapped a strip of 120 sandpaper around it and took it all off, got a little to enthusiastic with the sanding so some of the knurling came off. So the rest of it went to. Finished with a quick polish with a scotchbrite pad.
    Find a drill bit a fraction bigger than your rod and mark it so the bit wont slip because it is a rounded surface. Its easy to find the centre because of the machining marks. Clamp it to your table or vice and drill straight through. The base is suprisingly thick which is a big plus.
    Guesstimate how far you want it to go in by inserting it in and letting a little of it poke through into the capsule but all the way through the base. (confusing???) Then put some blutak there so when your gluing it the capsule wont slide around. Mix up some epoxy and drip it in.
    Wait overnight and if its good. Take some nice pics and show it off on the internet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive been told on the other forums to patent it or go into production but I would be much happier if people went out and did it themselves. Im 15 and I managed to do this in one night with nothing more than a cordless drill and some glue.

2. evanlocc

evanlocc Empty Pockets

O0

All in One.

3. wildrider

wildrider Loaded Pockets

Great idea...nice work

4. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

Very cool. I think I will steal that idea. :)

5. s4biturbo

s4biturbo Loaded Pockets

very nice!! O0

6. WildEMT

WildEMT Loaded Pockets

I love the last step. :laugh: You have a future in marketing or PR or something. Priceless.

Great idea!

7. HoopleHead

HoopleHead Banned

very nice DIY! id rather buy one from you though :)

8. alphazulu

alphazulu Loaded Pockets

O0 That is really awesome!!! I really need to add this to my "to do" list. Thanks for the instructions and the encouragement to complete this little project ourselves. Well done!!

9. AcydFlames

AcydFlames Empty Pockets

Joking aside, he's right, I bet  you could actually make some bucks selling those things. Definitely cheap supplies, a little manual labor and bam!... $10! (or whatever you might charge for it). You should think about it. Some of the less inclined to DIY would be eager to get a hold of something like this. Simple design, simple execution, great work man! I hate you a little for not thinking of it first ;D

10. clutchUSMC

clutchUSMC Empty Pockets

very nice! +1 on wanting to buy one.

11. AcydFlames

AcydFlames Empty Pockets

See... market opportunity! Tell you what, you build them, I'll buy them from you for slightly over cost, and I'll sell them ;) We'll come up with a good catchy name, I'll make up a logo, we'll get a third party to laser it in the aluminum, and pow!

Then I don't have to work anymore. At least, in my "perfect-world" head. :)

12. liquidsunshine

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

Hi Nick,

very nice idea, execution and instructions. Very nicely thought through, especially the blue tack to keep it in place while gluing.

You would have problems patenting it after you have made the idea public, which is very generous of you. The good news is though: Now that you've made it public, no one else can patent it either (unless they change something considerably). That means no one can stop you from manufacturing and selling it.

Which brings me to second what has been said before: Maybe you should reconsider to make and sell them - be it small scale or big scale, or first small then big, be it alone or together with someone else. I'm not even talking about making some money, mate - which you definitely could though. I'm just thinking you would get HEAPS of experience in starting and running your very own thing, and that can be enormously valuable for you further down the track when you might want to start another thing which may be some dimensions bigger. It's definitely worth doing it, no matter how much money it does or doesn't make for you. I'm sure you wouldn't regret it looking back later. Think about it.

One more thought: If you do it, be honest to yourself about how much of your time you put in for each batch; decide how much you would want to work for per hour; then break it down and include that money in the price of each unit. Don't feel bad about it. It's not ripping people off - that's asking a fair price for your effort. If you find that the resulting price is too high for people, maybe you can find clever ways to make it cheaper, or add value otherwise so people are willing to accept the price.

Also, have you thought of selling them as DIY kits including everything you need except the cordless drill: Drilling bit, fire steel, capsule, sandpaper, tinder...? It's a satisfying little project to make I think. Maybe quite some people would be happy to do it, but don't have the time to get all the bits needed.

Honestly, think about it. You've got a good starting point right here in the forums. I'd say: Give it a go!

Either way, thanks for sharing! WELL DONE! O0

Matt

13. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Moved, with a bump.
    :db:
    - bruner

nicknwong,

I share you enthusiasm for the sharing of ideas, but this is a very sharp idea. If you sold those here (or elsewhere) you would have some gas/car money for sure. Only a few will make them for themselves, but many more would buy them pre-assembled.

Dan

14. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

What is "blutak"?

15. liquidsunshine

Nick, one more thought: You say "Im 15 and I managed to do this in one night with nothing more than a cordless drill and some glue." The thing you are overlooking here is that no one gave you the instructions that you gave us; and I think probably no one gave you the idea to combine these two items in this way in the first place either...

Dewildeman: BlueTack (no idea if that's the right spelling) is a trade name for those blue (or sometimes also white) chewing-gum like bits that you can use to put posters up the wall etc. Contrary to chewing gum, they peel off nicely from most surfaces.

Cheers,

Matt

16. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

Okay, I vaguely remember back in the mists of time in college using something called "Plasti-tac". I thought it might be something more permanent like JB Weld. Won't the ferrorod pull right out?

17. oregonshooter

oregonshooter Loaded Pockets

That is sweet! I'm gonna convert mine asap. I'm thinking you could just "press fit" it if you cut it true in the lathe without messing with epoxy.

nicknwong,
    Way to think outside the box!

18. HoopleHead

HoopleHead Banned

19. nicknwong

nicknwong Loaded Pockets

Ive got to say after a hard day of school, seeing so many encouraging words it really brings a smile to my face. Im brimming with pride now.
    I had a think about it and I've decided that i might make a small batch - 10 or 20. And see how they sell.

Mods would it be ok if i started another thread (not sure where) and ask for things like price and interest.

Any tip for selling or where to sell will be appreciated.

20. liquidsunshine

Well, I wouldn't be surprised at all if you find that the first 20 or so are gone in a very short time if you offer them here!

You can offer them here at Market Place => Buy, Sell, Trade section.

To get the product known more widely you could consider a passaround, too: Market Place => Passarounds. From my understanding that means one piece gets shipped from one interested person to the next so they can make up their mind about it...

Matt