1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My CCW experience with law enforcement last night.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by amacman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Lots of guys out there who want a city job for it's security. Both financial and job security. Many times, the same guys who apply for Sanitation jobs will apply for Police Officer positions if those are the only ones open. To them, carrying a firearm is just a piece of job-related equipment. The way an O.R. nurse would be carrying a mask. They train to use their weapon. Often times, the training is as basic as it gets. Unless an individual officer is into guns, it's very likely he has no clue how to properly clear a 1911. (Those don't get issued to LEO's.)

2. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

This sounds like a positive interaction with the cops all around. Kudos to both the cops and the amacfamily for their calm, rational behavior in a potentially volatile situation.

I'm slightly disapointed that the pickup driver was not arrested. He followed and terrorized a 17-year old girl in the middle of the night and unlawfully detained her, apparently out of road rage; that's a serious offense, and the guy should have been sent to jail for a night and had a judge decide whether he deserved punishment.

Amacman, it sounds to me like your stepdaughter was terrified (and rightly so); just be sure to keep mentioning that if anything scary ever happens to her again, she should immediately call 911. Lots of kids are afraid to call 911, because they worry about getting into some sort of trouble for making phony or frivolous calls. But sometimes that fear causes them to hesitate too long, and not call 911 when they have a real need to do so. Be sure to explain to her that cops get called for minor situations all the time, and if she is genuinely afraid about something or someone, no cop is going to hold it against her, and there will be no trouble, if she errs on the side of caution and calls 911 for help. Even if she feels that she may have done something wrong - such as in this case, where she may have cut someone off and was afraid she might get a citation - be sure to tell her that a minor citation is nothing compared to the risk of physical harm from an enraged driver who seems bent on assaulting her.

Good form on your part, amacman. You didn't draw your weapon when you arrived, and though you must have been terrified for your SD, you kept calm and made solid decisions the whole way through.

Stuff like that doesn't happen here in Maryland. To get a CCW permit, you have to either show immediate physical danger (such as multiple previous attempts on your life by a specific perpetrator), or carry large amounts of cash for your business. Needless to say, CCW permits in Maryland are extremely rare. Cops in Maryland also react with near panic when they approach any armed person; they view anyone with a gun as a suspect, disarm and restrain them, and yell at them as if they were criminals, even if they're the victim.

It's nice to hear that you've got some professional cops in your neck of the woods who can deal with an armed man rationally instead of getting worked up into a froth and over-reacting.

3. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

4. Colt0208

Colt0208 Loaded Pockets

Glad to hear that went as smoothly as possible with you carry weapon and your stepdaughter's situation.... must have been scary for your s/d and I bet she's glad she has you guys to look out for her.

5. monkeysfistmaker

monkeysfistmaker Loaded Pockets

I read the thread title thinking "Oh God, here we go..." Glad I was wrong!