1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My "Capability Bag"

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by KMAC179, Dec 6, 2015.

1. KMAC179

KMAC179 Loaded Pockets

I have not posted on here for years, so, hi everyone.

My job(s) require me to frequently travel all over the world, often in "non-permissive environments" and hostile areas and generally operate in "low-vis" mode (suit/tie or other non-tactical clothing). When I am traveling to/from those locations, I keep a "grey man" appearance, which requires me to carry bags that are nondescript and keep gear to a minimum. This bag is often sent ahead of me by the company because anyone that has traveled to 3rd world countries knows how honest the baggage handlers are.

This is how I have mine set up, we all have similar bags but contents may vary depending on individual preferences. This of course augments what we carry on our person (pistol/mags, and blow-out med) and there is 1 bolt bag per truck (a bolt bag carries guns, ammo and pyro) as well as a med/extract bag per truck. If :censored: goes south, we all have our cap bags and someone is designated to grab the other bags if we have to ditch the trucks (usually the trunk monkey).

The term "capability bag" is something we coined due to its' intended purpose. It is not a BoB, or a GHB, or anything in particular. What it is, however, is a bag that holds tools and gear that can increase our capabilities in a pinch and help us get out of whatever we got ourselves into. Yes, it can help us get to our embassy, or the closest airport, or a boarder, yes it can aid in sustaining us if we are stuck somewhere for a little while until the rotary-wing heavily-armed angels fall out of the sky, but it does not serve any one purpose.

It all lives in a 5.11 MOAB 10

So, onto the contents (which is what everyone really cares about, right?)

Multi tool (leatherman wave, or MUT EOD)
    Flashlight (surefire EB1 w/ filters)
    Entry kit (to get into places)
    SERE kit (to get out of places)
    ETA kit (enhanced blow out kit, meds/fluids)
    Booboo kit
    water purification gear (tabs, steripen, filter, platypus bag)
    Gloves
    Headlamp (streamlight sidewinder compact)
    IR strobe
    4" IR Chemlights
    4" Blue/Red chemlights
    PVS-14
    VS-17
    Electronics kit (cables to connect everything to anything, and a flash drive with digital tools)
    Burn phone (usually android with tools and contacts pre-loaded, encrypted) and burn sim cards
    GPS (pre-loaded with every conceivable route and point of interest)
    Radio (Baofeng UV5R)
    shemagh
    550 cord
    duct tape
    zip ties
    Breacher bar
    First stike ration (MRE on steroids)
    Power bank
    Eye pro (oakley ballistic polarized)
    Ear pro

Pens/sharpies/notepad
    Socks (because wet feet...)

CSM-101, jryan06, Pangcoy and 19 others like this.
  2. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Interesting. You're one of the few members who actually needs the kind of bag the rest of us have for, lets be honest here, fantasy scenarios.

3. Barchack

Barchack Loaded Pockets

What comprises your SERE kit?
    I keep my Arabic blood chit in my desk as a reminder of "better" times.

Gallows, ManVsLawn and T.H.Cone like this.
  4. KMAC179

KMAC179 Loaded Pockets

When I started on this board, I fell into the majority category as well, truth be told.

5. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Nothing wrong with having a bag for a black swan. Unlike yours, mine is filled mostly with snacks and other comfort items.:)

MicroMike, thePlumbah, DESTRO and 2 others like this.
  6. KMAC179

KMAC179 Loaded Pockets

Decoder stick, handcuff shim, plastic handcuff key, kevlar thread, button compass, bogota Ti picks, ...ect. It lives in TAD life capsule.

7. KMAC179

KMAC179 Loaded Pockets

Moral items are of great importance. In my 72 hour bag, I have a selection of snacks and alcohol...because...alcohol

8. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

In my earlier days (pre-TSA) I always travelled with a small survival/first aid kit (assembled in a small toiletry bag) and a SAK Super Tinker. This went into an old Jansport daypack with the rest of my "snivel gear" and went with me whenever and wherever I travelled. I never travelled to very dangerous areas (which is pretty much OCONUS now) but I felt prepared at the time. Today my kit would be MUCH different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thePlumbah, T.H.Cone, Gallows and 2 others like this.
  9. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

What kind of digital tools do you carry? Are we talking more like offline maps and english-whatever dictionaries or more like a pwnpad?

T.H.Cone, Gallows and ManVsLawn like this.
  10. KMAC179

KMAC179 Loaded Pockets

Kali Linux distro with some custom tools that the digital guys put together. Nice feature is when I have it set to do so, as soon as I insert it into a port it will send a distress signal to a predetermined list of people with pertinent info (as long as the machine has network access, obviously). Also some disruptive tools for disabling the local terminal.

11. Gallows
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gallows EDC Junkie!!!!!

Glad to see you posting and a very interesting first post back.

12. TFin04

TFin04 Loaded Pockets

Honest question- With that amount of gear and expense, why did you settle on a $35 Chinese radio instead of a more robust unit?

13. KMAC179

KMAC179 Loaded Pockets

good question. I am not a big radio person, honestly. We generally use Motorola XTS for work, but UV5R is just a backup that we can use for secondary or backup COMMS since it is easily field programmable and expandable. I am always looking to expand my capabilities, if you have a suggestion I would be very happy to hear it :)

14. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Cool. Actually, I kind of figured that. I also got the wording of 2 entries mixed up in my head.

Is there anything special about the phone (other than encryption)?

Also...how did you go about building this? Did it evolve, or was there a list of things you've needed to do?

15. Rich73

Rich73 Loaded Pockets

Interesting post. Can you expand on the "booboo kit"? Interested to know what you carry - not fishing to know if you've ever needed it, but since your choice of kit seems to be based on experience I'd like to know.

ManVsLawn, thePlumbah and Gallows like this.
  16. Spyke

Spyke Loaded Pockets

This is indeed an interesting post. Being a civilian through and through I can't say I have any direct experience with this "cloak and dagger" stuff. I do however have some close associates that work for the secret service and independent security firms. In addition to that my wife's extended family are all in military and law enforcement and in fact a female cousin of hers is a decorated marine who has gone through extensive training and has even lived in Russia for years at a time.

Since I am a gadget and gear guy fascinated with all things military, security and such, I ask questions of my acquaintances and family members when given the chance. Oddly enough, though polite, they generally offer very little in response. While they are all very decent, highly educated and cordial people, they are also very serious. I could NEVER imagine any of them using cliche terms like "grey man" or "low-vis" or even explain their "tactical or non tactical" clothing. It also strikes me as odd, in general, that despite all their training and gear (some of which they have told me a little about....like stuff they carried in Iraq) and things they must carry, I have never once in over 30 years heard any one of them mention a BOB or GHB. The only folks that seem to use these terms are the civilian armchair commandos and preppers that I know.

Not saying that the OP is a troll but it does sound dubious to me. I just cannot imagine anyone who possesses the strength, tenacity and seriousness to hold a position in some special secret group that goes into hostile areas post his list of gear here so that the rest of us can "ooh and ahh." Sounds more like one of those guys that lives in his mom's basement and plays one of those war themed computer games.

Honestly don't mean to be a downer, just felt like I had to express my opinion here. And I feel better now so please, carry on with the love fest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ppfd, Gallows and outcomesix like this.
  17. TFin04

TFin04 Loaded Pockets

What frequency range(s) do you need to cover?
    I use an XTS every day so I might be able to help with some crossover info...

ManVsLawn and Gallows like this.
  18. outcomesix

outcomesix Empty Pockets

hmmm

:)

ManVsLawn and Gallows like this.
  19. Barchack

Barchack Loaded Pockets

Spyke
    .mil and .gov contracting firms and their employees are as varied as the general population. Same as the military, even in special operations, there are guys that are into gear and guns, and guys that just use whatever Uncle Sugar hands them. I have often heard men in this profession talk about "greyman" before the Internet turned it into mall ninja jargon. It's what separates some men from the 5.11 mafia "blending in" at a Kyrgyzstan airport, head to toe in tactical business casual.
    I don't know KMAC179 from Adam, but if you look in his history you'll see photos from Cairo and other sandy locales. That's enough to at least help me take what he's saying at face value.

20. Spyke

Spyke Loaded Pockets

Barchack....I hear ya brother....I just tried for one moment to imagine any LEO, military, security etc. I know posting about his/her shemagh, duct tape and paracord while using the term "grey man" and I got a real laugh. Maybe the folks I know are just older and more discreet or something....could also be their rank/level of experience as I'm no kid and neither are they.

So, no offense to anyone.....just struck me as funny is all.

Have a good one!

ppfd, ManVsLawn, Lellobeetle and 2 others like this.