1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My Boy Scout Camp Rant

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by mwoj, Jul 6, 2013.

1. On Edge

On Edge EDC Junkie!!!

Just sent my boy off to Camp Horseshoe this morning. First time I'm not going to summer camp since he crossed over. (I'm an ASM). He comes back Saturday - a day early, so he can get a one day break before National Jamboree. I sent him with a SAK in his belt sheath and a CRKT lock back clipped in his RF. He knows better than to buy the junk at the camp store. Many of the boys in our Troop come talk to me before they buy a knife. Unfortunately, most troops don't have a "knife guy" in their ranks …

dewildeman likes this.
  2. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

Let's face it, most of the knives that people carry are junk, it isn't just young Boy Scouts. Speaking as a former adult Camp Staff (Camp Director and Shooting Sports) what one of the previous posters said, the Trading Post is a venue stream, is very true. The fee charged for summer camp goes for food, insurance and wages for Camp Staff. Not necessarily in that order. It's not a profit maker for the Council. For most Camps, they have a budget as to how much they can spend to stock the TP with materials needed for Merit Badges, personal items (soap, toothbrushes, bug spray, etc), refreshments and souvenirs. Ideally the TP will have no items left over at the end of camp. If there is, that is money tied up till next year that could have been used for something else. So, does the TP spend x dollars on good knives that may not sell, or spend the same amount of money on knives that will fly out the door. Personally, I don't care for the knives I've seen for sale at camps but frankly, they are meant to be souvenirs. Our camp sells cheapie knives, BSA and Swiss Army knives.

Fixed blade knives and BSA. I'm reminded of my year at a bible college. A student would make a statement and say "It's in the Bible". And immediately be asked "What chapter and verse?". Some Councils have banned fixed blade knives their properties. The BSA Guide to Safe Scouting only says that fixed blade knives are "strongly discouraged", not "banned". I will treat the story of a Scout dying because he fell on his knife that was in a sheath on his belt as an Urban Legend until shown proof of this happening. The same goes with the supposed ban on teaching the Hangman's Noose because a Scout killed himself with one after learning it at a Troop meeting.

mwoj, thanks for being a CIT, I don't know if most people realize it but Scout Camp could not run successfully without you. Most camps pay very little, if anything to the CIT's. I would sooner hire someone for Staff who has put his/her time in as a CIT than an older Scout who hasn't. I hope you used this opportunity to show the Scout the proper way to sharpen a knife so his could be as sharp as yours.

SAKplumber, Diecastfreak, 982 and 2 others like this.
  3. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Thank you.... that's also what my understanding of the contents of the BSA Guide to Safe Scouting.

ATB,
    Sam

4. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

If I were a councilor I'd bring a few decent-quality inexpensive knives and give them out as awards to the outstanding kids. I'd also be sure to offer recommendations of what to look for when buying a knife. It's too important a tool to be stuck with something crappy.

kertap75 likes this.
  5. Jakala

Jakala Loaded Pockets

On this side of the planet (netherlands) our national scouting sells mora knives.

And im pushing every kid and parrent in my group that way!

As for the safety issue, after a week camping with the hoodlems i can safely say we should also ban:
    - Trees
    - Sticks
    - Aircastels
    - Waterslides
    - Any gymnastic equipment
    - Trampolines
    - Camp staff with heavy watches
    - Etc

But seriously: after a day of woodworking and carving the most serious cut came from a kid who fell onto a broken tile; ver nasty

Tapatalked from Holland

6. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

Not to say that it dos'nt happen. Cuts that is. But the biggest injury I saw 29 years ago at my Scout Camp was a kid cracked himself in the back of the ear with a Bull whip. Every body had a pocket knife.

7. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I had a few injuries in my summer camp days. I fell off the top of one of our residences that were in old boxcars and cabooses. Knocked myself out on the rail. Bad concussion #2. There was the dry copperhead bite. Taught me to wear shoes in the woods.

The worst one was a torn ACL in my left knee when I was a CIT. I was doing something stupider than climbing to the top of a boxcar. That knee injury kept me out of the military.

Sent by Owl Post

8. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Wow, you've got some lucky scouts!

Mora's would also be my first choice for a fixed blade knife for scouts. They're great knives at a very inexpensive price. Perfect for scouts with little money, and it's no hardship if it's lost on the trip.

The Victorinox Huntsman would be my first choice for a folder. You could buy both for about $40, and you'd have a lot of capability with that setup. And in fact, I carried both of those on my last camping trip.

SAKplumber likes this.
  9. Gollum24601

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

Don't understand why a Boy Scout camp would carry any knives other than a couple of fixed blades and a few Vic SAK models.

SAKplumber likes this.
  10. mwoj

mwoj Loaded Pockets

If they carried Alox's I would run out of money!:D

SAKplumber and Gollum24601 like this.
  11. Alistair Hammond

Alistair Hammond Loaded Pockets

As an explorer scout and young leader over here in the UK, it's pretty interesting to see what it's like over in the US. The troop I help lead is an exception compared to most of the others, in that we actually encourage them to bring and use knives. Obviously we are restricted by the rather harsh knife legislation around here, but we have a fair number who bring small folders every week. Most of them are SAKs, which are very popular in Britain as they (apart from the large locking ones) are legal EDC.

warchild likes this.
  12. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

Yeah and what's bad is when those dumb people try to tell you it's a good knife and offer to trade you their crappy knife for your expensive one :p

Goose

mwoj likes this.
  13. Grinch

Grinch Banned

[​IMG]

warchild, Domain and mwoj like this.
  14. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

15. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I am a UK leader and got back yesterday from our fortnight long summer camp with the scouts - greenfields camping here in Scotland.

I am not 100% on what the official word is at the moment from the Scout association, but we use our own ruling that the scouts are only allowed to carry folding pocketknives like SAK's and similar - something we have settled on based on UK laws, the preferences of the leaders and many years of experience in what the scouts actually need for what we do (noting that we do have troop axes and saws for wood chopping duties). Certainly on site we would be allowed locking or fixed blades, but honestly have never felt a huge need for them - I guess that just comes down to the sort of activities our troop in particular does, which will be very different to other troops for whom they could be much more of an essential.

Typically most of the scouts have a variety of Victorinox knives, which are the ones I always recommend - great quality, and do exactly what they need. Beyond that a few with cheap knockoffs mainly found in a drawer by dad, and this year a couple of Byrd Terns (after a few of them took a shine to the one I was carrying last year).
    Personally I tend to stick to a Victorinox farmer and a Byrd Tern most of the time, and have a Spyderco Mule Team fixed blade on my belt about site when appropriate.

As for what a camp shop would have? Sadly there is probably a lot more politics and costing behind it than a simple 'this knife is decent value, let's stock them' - they will have set suppliers, limited ranges (especially if they have camp-branded knives) and a bottom line to deal with - carrying a few SAK's or budget Spyderco's may be a great idea in theory, but if they can't get appropriate suppliers or they come in with too small a profit margin to cover the camp's needs then there isn't much choice...

kertap75 and mwoj like this.
  16. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

Got back from spending a few days with the Troop at Scout Camp. This year the Trading Post only had 3 different folding knives for sale that ranged from $8 to $12. One of my boys showed me his new purchase. A couple of days old and the blade was showing rust already.:uhhuh:

17. Crash_Fistfight

Crash_Fistfight Loaded Pockets

So teach him how to sharpen his knife instead of bad mouthing him on this board.

18. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

I am showing my long in the tooth status:rofl:, but when I went to scout camps they had 2, the standard scout model with logo by Camillus and a 3 blade whittler by the same maker. We were encouraged to carry all but the Big Bucks and fixed blades.

19. PaBushcrafter4659

PaBushcrafter4659 Loaded Pockets

Mora...Mora....Mora....

SAKplumber, thegrinch and warchild like this.
  20. Grinch

Grinch Banned

high five

jdh4659, SAKplumber and warchild like this.