1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My BOB, so far

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by elkhills, May 12, 2009.

1. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

Okay, this is my start towards a good Bug Out Bag. By no means am I finished, so to be honest, I guess I'm just looking for compliments, criticism- or just showing off! I should say that I see this as a 3rd level of preparedness, or EDC. I carry on my person what I consider the absolute essentials. My "work bag" is to me what some other people might call a "Bag of Evil", or a purse :mad:, it's got stuff like sunscreen, gloves, papers, things I know I'll want, but don't want in my pockets. So this "Bug Out Bag" is a step up from EDC, it should provide me with things I will need in an extended stay from normalcy.
    The pack itself is a North Face, well padded as a backpack. Just plain black. The outermost zippered pouch is empty for now, would do well to hold small items and papers, like maps.
    [​IMG]
    The second compartment has lots of little pouches, for things like a pen, pencil, flashlight, radios, police scanner, batteries, Clif Bars, and a sturdy belt knife.
    [​IMG]
    In the main compartment I went kind of modular. Almost everything is in it's own pouch and can be removed seperatly.
    [​IMG]
    My first aid kit is seperated into two parts: a trauma kit, and medication. Also shown is a towell and an extra pair of socks
    [​IMG]
    Also in the main compartment is a US Army poncho, poncho liner packed in tight in the pouch with all the molle straps, a cheapy mini shovel/hatchet, and a survival kit I've shown here before.
    [​IMG]
    I read somewhere before what a great tool a machete is, so I picked up a Gerber Gator, only $20 and seems like a good multi-tool, ie. axe, hatchet, knife, sword and saw. Lots of para cord wrapped around the sheath.
    [​IMG]

2. Cochiez

Cochiez Empty Pockets

You said your BOB's not finished yet, but it looks like you're off to a good start. Mine's similar - in both content and status. I'm hoping to post some pics soon. O0

3. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

Cool, thanks!

4. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

Looks good!

The one comment that I have is on the Gerber Gator... I have heard a lot of stories about how crappy the thing is. Won't hold an edge, blade snaps, saw on back doesn't work, etc. Just thought I'd share :p

:luck:

5. Cochiez

Cochiez Empty Pockets

Unfortunately, I'll echo this Gerber related complaint. I have a gerber fixed blade knife that I've had problems with. While using it to hammer through a pine branch I had a tang break off of the serrated portion of the blade. Yes, I was abusing the blade - no, I shouldn't have been using the serrated part of the blade for this chore - and yes, it was a little cold out. Fact is, though, Gerber doesn't generally use the highest quality steel. As previously stated, I've had trouble getting the blade to keep an edge, too.

On the flip side, if it does break you're only out 20 bucks. Downside, it it breaks while your in BOB mode, you could be left without a valuable part of your kit.

6. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

I'll be using it when camping this summer, so we'll see how it holds up under pressure. this is one review that kind of sold me on it.

7. _STL_15_

_STL_15_ Loaded Pockets

I have to third the gerber thing. I was showing my friend some survival basics in the woods last winter. I was showing him how to make a fire. We were batoning wood and while going thru a log, it snapped the knife and cut my calf pretty darn bad. Your bag looks pretty good. It's a never ending story anyway it'll never be complete.

8. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

There was a recent nutnfancy vid (on youtube) recommending some cheapo cold steel machete that was $20. Whilst ive no clue bout that Gerber machete, nutnfancy knows his stuff so it might be a cheap upgrade/backup.

9. David.s

David.s Loaded Pockets

Looks good, really like the bag itself actaully.

What the actual model name of the bag ?

thanks.

10. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

Thanks, the model name is "Yavapai".

11. cl0123

cl0123 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for sharing your images. O0

With Aloha,

Clarence