1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My bag within a bag system for EDC

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by acv, Jan 24, 2011.

1. acv

acv Loaded Pockets

Over the past 5-6 years my EDC has evolved into the system I have today. It’s always being tweaked but has settled out into what I’m going to try and describe below. Hopefully some of you will find this interesting and maybe even helpful. I’ve been trying to take some decent pictures but time, the elements and many other factors have conspired against me so I apologize for the quality of the pictures.

What I’ve settled on is the bag within a bag approach. It allows me the most flexibility and I can grab what I need at a moment’s notice. Over the years I’ve tried all types of systems and have used backpacks, gear slingers and various other types of bags. I finally decided that I need a modular approach. Everything is part of a larger system. No one piece of the system can cover all bases nor is it really intended to. I’m not trying to ride out a natural disaster with what is carried in pockets. So everything builds on the next level. So at the base levels one might sees holes in the system but when taken into full context I try to do my best to cover the bases. The full system is intended to be modular. My level II bag slips into my Level III bag which slips into my Level IV bag which works with my level V bag. At any time I can grab any level and go.

As much as I can I try to cover all of the following categories w/ my EDC.
    • SHELTER & FIRE:
    • WATER / FOOD:
    • SIGNALING / SELF RESCUE:
    • UTILITY/MISC:
    • SELF PROTECTION / BODILYSAFETY
    • PERSONAL SANITATION

Here is a breakdown of the different levels:
    Level V – BOB (Maxpedition Falcon II) This a full BOB capable of sustaining me for 5-7 days. Its ready to go but hopefully never needed.
    Level IV – Large briefcase (5.11 sidetrip) This is my LGO bag (Life Goes On) This is part of my BOB system. The heart of it is the laptop computer. The laptop has copies of all the family photo’s, critical documents and any other information/materials needed to restart life in another location. The bag also houses the typical “stuff” carried by an office worker.
    Level III – Small messenger bag (Hazrd4 Tonto) I really like this bag. It’s very well thought out with its features and works perfectly into my EDC system. It’s easy to grab and carries well. I can access most of the contents easily.
    Level II - Small pouch (Maxpedition EDC organizer) This is my tool kit for lack of a better term. It houses all those small items that I want to carry but need to keep organized. This kit would be the minimum kit that I would grab heading out the door.
    Level I – In pocket (carried on person at all times) This is what I consider to be my EDC. This is what’s carried by me every single day and is in my pockets during most of the day.

Modularity: The basis of the system.

Here is my 5.11 sidetrip. I settled on this bag since it’s sized correctly for all my gear (especially my laptop) and has some really great features. The main compartment is about half full and has room to add a rain coat, hat, gloves, lunch or other stuff that I may need. The external pockets are nice and big which I prefer for my main bag. This bag mostly uses zippers which is quieter in a small office environment.

[​IMG]

Here are the 3 bags that comprise the core of the system. The smallest is the Maxp EDC, the next is the Hazard4 tonto and the 5.11 sidetrip.

[​IMG]

The Maxp EDC slips into the tonto’s main pocket and the Maxp 3x5 notepad slips into the inside pocket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The unique feature of the Tonto is that you can clip the flap in the open position. This allows easy access to the inside pockets of the bag. Which means you can grab the 3x5 and the EDC organizer instantly.

[​IMG]

Bags nested in one another.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let’s breakdown the bags and contents:

Level V – BOB (This really needs to be s separate article so I don’t have pics or a contents list)
    (Maxpedition FalconII and EMS lumbar pack) and LGO bag (5.11 Sidetrip) In theory I could sling my LGO bag and wear the backpack and lumbar pack. Not really ideal but very doable. Just a quick note about the BOB system, I use a 2 part system here. The Falcon has my primary gear but the lumbar pack has the basic essentials. I could if I had to ditch/hide the falcon and use the lumbar pack if I needed to move really fast or if I had a base camp setup and I needed to scout the area.

For more info on HYST (Having Your Stuff Together)
    http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/index.html

Level IV – Large briefcase (5.11 sidetrip) This is my LGO (Life Goes On) This is part of my BOB system. The heart of it is the laptop computer. The laptop has copies of all the family photo’s, critical documents and any other information/materials needed to restart life in another location. The bag also houses the typical “stuff” carried by an office worker.

[​IMG]

• Laptop Computer
    • AC Power Cable
    • CAT6 network cable
    • External mouse
    • External FireLite drive & cable
    • USB Flash Drives
    • HYST binder
    • Check Book
    • Spare Car Keys
    • Calculator
    • Misc pens (carried in pen case)
    • Water bottle of the day
    • Food for the day
    • Extra granola bars
    • Pending bills
    • Files w/ current projects and reference materials

Level III – Small messenger bag (Hazrd4 Tonto) I really like this bag. It’s very well thought out with its features and works perfectly into my EDC system. It’s easy to grab and carries well. I can access most of the contents easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• $1 poncho
    • Fleece gloves
    • Fleece Hat
    • 2x Granola bars
    • CC SOLED
    • Surefire L4
    • Inova X1
    • LED glow stick
    • OC spray
    • Chap stick
    • Sun block
    • Wet wipes
    • Tissues
    • Mini-FAK
    • Leatherman S4 on civ. labs retractor
    • Moleskin notepad
    • Digital camera
    • 4 AA in batucca case
    • 4 123A in batucca case
    • Beige bandanna
    • Surefire lanyard
    • Sharpie
    • Uniball signo pen
    • Leatherman pulse
    • Spyderco manix
    • 10’ duct tape
    • Suntoo mini compass
    • Mini sewing kit
    • ITW nexus Whistle

Neck safe
    • Personal ID & Contact Document
    • Credit Card valid thru 5/12
    • USB drive w/ critcal docs
    • Vic classic
    • BSA hot spark
    • 1 Benedryl tab

Maxpedition 3x5 notepad holder
    • 3x5 RIT notepad
    • RIT pen
    • Space pen
    • Peak AAA Matterhorn LED

Level II –Small Pouch( Maxpedition EDC organizer) This is my tool kit for lack of a better term. It houses all those small items that I want to carry but need to keep organized. This kit would be the minimum kit that I would grab heading out the door.

[​IMG]

• RITR pen
    • .9 Mech pencil
    • Leatherman bit set
    • Leatherman bit extender
    • Small spy capsule w/ personal meds
    • Large spy capsule w/ advil
    • Large SS pill fob w/ CR123A battery
    • CC peanut lighter
    • 16g USB drive (family photos, encrypted docs, current projects, etc.)
    • Phone charger vehicle & home
    • USB cable for camera
    • Moleskine notepad

Level I In Pocket - This is what I consider to be my EDC. This is what’s carried by me every single day and is in my pockets during most of the day.

[​IMG]

Mid Sized Multi-tool - I settled on the Leatherman Skeletool CX as my primary pocket tool. It does everything I need and yet is very pocket-able.

LED single cell light - I mostly carry a Fenix P2D. It has multiple light levels and is the perfect size for me. I’ve never had a need to carry more light in my pocket.

Knife (folding or small fixed blade) - I have many folders and fixed blades to choose from. Right now my preference is for a lightweight, thin profile, small folder like my Benchmade Mel Pardue. Sometimes I may carry my Bark River Mikro II. In that case I carry it in my KSF Adirondack sheath.

Pen – This varies but right now I have a slightly modified Zebra F301 compact. It may change tomorrow.

Cell phone – HTC Droid Incredible

Wallet – I have a bi-fold Big Skinny wallet. It holds my stuff, works fine and is relatively flat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Normal contents (credit cards, ID, business cards etc.)
    • Smile safe cards for my kids
    • Family emergency plan cards
    • Victorinox swiss card
    • Assorted band-aids
    • Spare check

2 part keychain - I ended up with a 2 part system for my keys. This allows me to carry a few useful items on my keychain but allows me to switch vehicle keys in an instant say if it's the weekend and I'm taking the family vehicle.

Part 1
    • Vehicle key & remote

Part 2

[​IMG]

• House key
    • Office key
    • Uncle bills sliver grippers
    • TEC pico pen
    • Streamlight nano
    • CC micro widgy
    • Mcgizmo gate clip
    • Vic 4 way screw driver

Thanks for looking!
    Adam

2. TjPippa

TjPippa Loaded Pockets

That is real nice...good stuff!

3. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Excellent photos and write-up! Thanks for sharing your detailed descriptions and info, too. You, sir, definitely "HYST". :thumbsup:

The layered approach, with bags within bags, is a great setup. The website you mentioned is an excellent read for anyone interested in real-world preparations. We have been trying to follow many of the tips and suggestions listed there.

If you don't mind, we may borrow a few of your ideas, too. ;D

4. me2dik

me2dik Empty Pockets

Good job man, really good looking stuff

5. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

matryoshka edc, nice.

6. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

your too :censored: organized!

7. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

Very nice. That is why I am turned on by the Sotech line. I have a similar system right now. I am carrying a 5.11 push pack all the time, but in winter it goes into a backpack with winter weather gear. Well, since I live in North Dakota, it is winter survival equipment.

8. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

that might be the best edc setup yet...

i have a layered thing with my gear ,,, but it is no where close to yours..

9. mjadams75

mjadams75 Loaded Pockets

Excellent Job!!!

10. sweetdaddyroses

sweetdaddyroses Loaded Pockets

Thank you! I appreciate the time and effort that went into this presentation. I really like the way that Hazard 4 Tonto bag looks. I may have to pick one of those up?

I do a similar "bag within a bag" loading myself, utilizing several Eagle Creek bags of various sizes placed inside of my RUSH 24 backpack. Your post has given me some great ideas! Thanks again!

11. jwhite75

jwhite75 Loaded Pockets

I subscribed to this to help me use some of your ideas....look up ache and his EDC thread for his needs. You remind me of his modular approach. I like it a lot.

12. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Looks great - are those Family Emergency cards a commercial product or a printer template?

13. Foxfire

Foxfire Loaded Pockets

Really nice Kit's.

14. mbs4298

mbs4298 Loaded Pockets

That is an awesome setup! Gives me some ideas as well. Where did you get your pill fobs. I have some bigger ones like the SS next to the charger but I like the slimmer ones you have.

15. acv

acv Loaded Pockets

I found the card here:
    http://www.ready.gov/america/makeaplan/

I've given copies of the cards to my wife and other family members.

16. acv

acv Loaded Pockets

The small black ones are made by Bison Designs.

17. mbs4298

mbs4298 Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I had forgotten about that site.

18. hest

hest Loaded Pockets

two things that would interest me me about this setup:
    * the cost of all the bags and pouches.
    * the net weight of all the bags and pouches without contents

19. Grav

Grav Loaded Pockets

Nice set up. I really like the modular approach.

20. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

I use a series of the eagle creek bags and got a mixed set of 3 sizes from Amazon for less then $20 after Xmas last year.