1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

My Atwood and TSA

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by gern_blanston, May 1, 2009.

1. gern_blanston

gern_blanston Loaded Pockets

Well, I decided to do it this week. I took my Nibble on a 4-leg airline trip. The only other thing on the 'keychain' was a Photon Microlight. Tossed 'em in the tray 4 times, and only had one comment. "Hey, that's pretty cool. What IS it?!?"

2. Hankel

Hankel Empty Pockets

I took my atwrench on a flight recently and got one comment on the return trip. One of the TSA agents picked it up and asked if they let me bring it on the flight. I just shrugged. He said, as long as the guy at the scanner thinks it's ok.

3. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Just tell them it's a bottle opener.

There really is no reason why you should not be allowed to take it on, but of course that hasn't stopped TSA agents from taking things before. I had my Prybaby in my bag when I flew a month or so back. A lot of TSA screeners are ok. They pulled my Maxpedition Operator aside to search because I had so much stuff crammed into it, but then the guy just ended up talking about how much he liked it and asking where I got it.

4. DpM

DpM Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info. Good to know since I am going to China this summer :roof: ;D

5. rush

rush Empty Pockets

I had my Nibble on the keychain on a couple of flights recently but was never asked about it. My McG LS20 on the other hand has been picked out more than once to clarify its indeed a flashlight, i suppose its not what the non-flashaholic is expecting a flashlight to look like ;)

But in terms of Atwoods or other tools, you should be safe to carry it as long as it hasn't got any cutting edge i would believe. Of course some security guys might have their own definition of things, so i guess if you want to be on the safe side bring a SAE with you.

6. anson88

anson88 Empty Pockets

Rush is right, as long as it dosen't have a cutting edge, we'll they'll consider it a tool. The only provisio for tools is the maximum length of 7". If the screener gives you trouble just point out the lack of a blade and the over all size.

-scott/anson88

7. onceuponanace

onceuponanace Loaded Pockets

I started another thread on this so might have to combine them now, but I will be flying to Italy in the next couple of weeks and would like to ask others who maybe wiser than myself if they see any problems with the following item to be carried onto a plaine or get through security.

Atwood Prybaby G4

Atwood Whistle

Atwood SuperBug

Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks

8. indabayou

indabayou Loaded Pockets

Me,I would have to do without,iI would leave them at home.I could 'nt bear the thought of a TSA AGENT telling me my Atwood was not going to make the flight and watching him/her throw it in a can.Happened to me with a Swiss Key on a flight from North Carolina to Louisiana.

9. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

Whistle I don't see ANY problem with...superbug either as its small enough to pass as a bottlecap opener with a flathead tip and ΒΌ" driver, I don't think it would even give suspission to being able to pry with it. The G4 prybaby, while not disallowed, may raise flags from an overzealous screener.

10. ylamonA

ylamonA Loaded Pockets

I just came back from a trip to Rome, Italy and had my trusty Atwood G3 on my keychain as well as my Keyton. I had no trouble through any security checks. I think for most of the security checks my keychain was in my backpack as there was not going to be an immediate need to use my keys. So that might have helped. Other than that I think you would be good to go.

As Scott has posted, 7inches is the max size for tools that are carried. I found this information myself while looking through the TSA regulation before the trip. Hope that helps.

11. onceuponanace

Great

Thanks for the help

12. Scorpion Regent

Scorpion Regent Empty Pockets

I know a guy who works for the TSA and based on our conversations about his "day job" I think that Atwoods are on the safe end of the grey scale. He's a pretty reasonable guy. Rub a screener the wrong way though and you might lose it. If I had a Atwood I wouldn't risk it to the whimsical mood of a government employee, it costs a lot to replace. I check a lot of edc items in my baggage and insure it against loss rather than take chances. Yes it bugs me that all my potential EDC survival equipment will not be with me if the plane should go down, but seriously if the plane crashes my realistic concern should be if there is enough of me left to put in a coffin. The odds of the plane crashing on the flight are smaller than my risk of a collision on the way to the airport. It's more likely that my bag will get lost, hence the insurance.

13. Tmad

Tmad Loaded Pockets

Has anybody confirmed that they let you mail back your knives to yourself if they have a problem with them?

14. Kardolf

Kardolf Loaded Pockets

I can confirm that I forgot to take my Leatherman Wave off my belt on the return flight one time (probably about 4 years ago now), and I was allowed to go upstairs to the post office and mail it back to myself. That was the last time I took my Leatherman with me on vacation. I started throwing one of my cheapy multitools in my luggage, so I would have something, but wouldn't get too pissed at losing it.

15. onceuponanace

Well made it back from my trip to Italy and had no problems going through any of the security checks. I had left the Atwood tools in my carry on bag and only once did someone pull it out and ask questions which once I told them they were pocket tools for my keychain let me pass through. So good news for this trip. Thanks to everyone who put there 2 cents in :)

16. Alexipax

Alexipax Empty Pockets

Last year, a close friend of the family had the opposite experience while traveling with her two small kids. Her 5 year-old son attempted to take a Leatherman PST* through security without her knowledge. The tool was confiscated without any opportunity to mail/check it, she was detained for extensive questioning and finally let go.

These two cases seem to further support what we all probably knew - that it all depends on the TSA officials on duty at the time.

* as a going away "present" MY 5-year-old gave her 5-year-old MY original, first Leatherman PST. No one knew the transaction had taken place until the incident. :mad:

17. attorneyadrian

attorneyadrian Loaded Pockets

I just did it in Charlotte, NC.

Cost me $10 and took about a week to get my SAK Classic back. I was soooo annoyed at myself for forgetting to remove it from my bag. :mad:

18. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

I had no problem flying with my Atwrench a couple of weeks ago. I keep it loose in my pocket with a lanyard so I put it in the dish with my phone and other crap and they didn't say anything. Of course they may have been distracted by the car seats, strollers, and carry-ons that two kids require. I hated to even risk losing it, but How am I supposed to go on vacation with no Atwood?

19. thewae

thewae Empty Pockets

Good to know.