1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

MUSICIANS - Let's Hear from You! (formerly entitled Musicians - Let's See Your Instruments)

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by david57strat, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

https://flic.kr/p/Wbee6K

https://flic.kr/p/WbeebV

Me with classical guitar great Juan Mercadal and another great Cuban guitarist Mario Juan Escandel at my home in Miami @ 1980. I also play percussion and was lucky enough to play with Mark Anthony once. Must run in the family, my nephew is considered a jazz piano prodigy. Here is a video with him at Quincy Jones home.

Last edited by Shike, Aug 4, 2017
    #81 Shike, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    david57strat and Water-Rat like this.
  2. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

Thanks for sharing the video. Great work! Those Bosendorfers are works of art, as well as musical instruments :)

Shike likes this.
  3. david57strat

Took a trip over to Sam Ash, yesterday, and picked up this tc electronic polytune clip tuner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here it is, mounted on the headstock of "Annie" ( 2001 Alvarez AD-CK60), with an iBeam Active pickup, and chrome Grovers - my favorites :).

At first glance, it looks like an ordinary tuner. I never liked these things, because (in my opinion) they've never really been all that accurate. They're inexpensive, easy to use, etc., but just not all that accurate (although it appears, they've greatly improved, in recent years).

Being well-in-tune has always been super important to me, so I avoided clip-on tuners like the plague - until this tuner came out.

I already have the polytune2 noir (pictured below, although a cheesy iPhone picture, like these above lol), which is a superb little pedal tuner; but it's not battery-power-able, so not of much use, if I want a tuner I can keep in my guitar case, if I want to just play out in the park, or wherever.

[​IMG]
    This mini noir is superb, but is strictly for use with an external 9-volt power supply.

The "Clip" is five times as accurate as any of my previous BOSS tuners (TU-12, TU-12H, TU-12EX). Rated for accuracy within /- 0.5 cents (in chromatic mode), or a mind-blowing 0.02 cents, in strobe mode), as opposed to =/- 1 cent, on the BOSS stuff....and it's so tiny!

The display is super bright, and will auto-orient itself, depending on how you have it clipped to the guitar. I kind of prefer it in front of the headstock, although it looks kind of funny. You can compensate for capo use. Very cool feature set on this tuner.

The sensor (?) is very sensitive; so, the readout sustains for quite a long time, making tuning surprisingly easy, with one of these, if you're not ordinarily super speedy at it lol.

You can either use it as a needle (chromatic) tuner, or a strobe tuner. It is polyphonic, so it can automatically sense all six strings at once, and tell you, at a glance, which ones are off, and whether sharp, or flat, or you can just pluck a single string, and get the read-out that you have in the pictures above (or, of course, the more accurate strobe version).

It runs on a CR2032 flat cell. Not sure I'm crazy about that, but it'd be easy to carry a card of these cells, in a pack, so I'd never have to worry about not having a backup battery for it, or taking up a bunch of gig bag space, with extra batteries. They're also very inexpensive, and easy to find on-line, at ridiculously low prices.

I'm going to be playing some open mike coffee house gigs with a singer I just met recently, so I wanted a way to tune, quickly and easily, without lugging around the bulky TU12 tuner, which is still an excellent and tried and true tuner, but not as accurate as this little tiny one, or the noir.

[​IMG]
    Here's the old TU12. Years of service out of those tuners, except that keeping them on the floor (by the pedals) isn't a great idea, since the surface mounted jacks aren't nearly as sturdy as those of BOSS' pedals :|.

[​IMG]

Last edited by david57strat, Apr 14, 2018
    #83 david57strat, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    ran23 likes this.
  4. willb00023

willb00023 Loaded Pockets

So I'm going to ask this here because it seems appropriate.
    Dose anyone know of a company/ or web site were you can get a hurdy gurty in the us?

5. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

I've played since I was 12 approaching 54 years now...guitar, mandolin, banjo, square neck dobro...in a lot of bands and as a solo when i couldn't stand the interpersonal hassle of being in bands anymore...
    When I was a kid I lived just on the Jersey side of the New York City Metropolitan area----
    When I was 14 I had a female guitar teacher who was a jazz player in NYC--she played in the city jazz clubs--She had a huge, blonde, Gibson L-4 Archtop and was an awesome player---very unusual at that time...I had such a crush on her--she was a knockout...and because of that i was the world's best guitar student, not ever wanting to disappoint her....funny how 52 years later I still remember her...and sigh sometimes...

david57strat likes this.
  6. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

There was a company called Lark in the Morning---in SF I think that used to sell them--along with a number of other unique instruments imported from overseas...I saw them offered in their catalog maybe 10 years ago---?

7. david57strat

It's been quite a while since I've posted here.

For all of the past twenty-one years, I've continued to use mostly dedicated rack equipment (and, sometimes, still do); but, this year, I decided to explore dedicated pedals. There are certainly a lot of nice ones, out there, in all price ranges.

But first (and not in this particular order), my Strat got a pickup upgrade. I installed a set of EMG DG-20 active pickups, and can now get amazing, stellar tones, and all noise-free, that I could never get, previously. Loving those :)
    [​IMG]

The pedal purchases started innocently, enough, with these two:

[​IMG]
    Left: tc electronic Flashback 2
    Right: Electro-Harmonix Canyon

Both are excellent pedals, for the money, and have so many different options, you can go to town, dialing in the different variants. Sometimes, it' s fun to stack sounds from both (maybe a reverse delay on one, and a modulated multi-tap, on another).

Added a tc electronic Corona Chorus and an Earthquaker Devices Afterneath Digital Reverb.
    I propped them up on a computer tower, so I could experiment with dialing in sounds, without having to be hunched down on the ground.

[​IMG]
    Grabbed a BOSS RC-1 Looper. This is an invaluable tool, if you're a solo musician, or just like a way to work layered sounds, and add lead lines, on the fly. It’s also a fantastic tool for ironing out your timing.

My usage history with BOSS goes back thirty plus years. I’ve found their stuff to be extremely reliable. The only exception I can think of is TU series tuners (not the stomp box ones). The connections, if I’m correct, are surface-mounted; so their jacks are not as solid as they are on their stomp boxes.

[​IMG]
    BOSS TU-12 Tuner (I've had this one forever)

I might hasten to say that this tuner was never really designed to be kept on the ground, with other stomp boxes.

[​IMG]
    ...but this one was :). I've had this polytune 2 Noir for a few years. Most accurate tuner I've ever owned, and super easy to use.

Their GX-700 is still in use in one of my guitar racks, and I still have their GT-10 and GT-3 floor units. They’re built like tanks :).

[​IMG]
    Grabbed an Xotic SP Compressor, to keep things under control, and add a little punch to the overall sound.

[​IMG]
    An MXR M300 Reverb gives me some pretty amazing pad sounds (aside from the typical hall, plate, and other settings).

I'm using Mogami insert cables with Rean connectors. The pedal is set for stereo in and outputs (with buffered bypass/trails on).

Two of the TS ends are plugged into the output of the Polara (shown below).

[​IMG]
    Added a DigiTech Polara Digital Reverb. This uses some incredible Lexicon algorithms, that are just stellar.

[​IMG]
    That same day, I received an Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Big Muff Pi. I'm still experimenting with it. It's the first fuzz pedal I've ever owned.

[​IMG]
    At some point, I needed to move all the pedals, to spot clean my carpet. What a pain. I really need to get a dedicated pedalboard, to I can easily transport these more efficiently, to a gig, or wherever.

Not pictured - the Polara and the Deluxe Big Muff Pi.

A number of other pedals, wanted, but I'm taking my time getting them (partially because of funds).

Also, eventually, it'd be nice to get a good controller, to run all of these, without doing the stompbox dance lol.

[​IMG]
    All together. I'm using that EHX Dual Expression to control the wet/dry mix of the M300 reverb. I'l also be using it to control the mid sweep of the Deluxe, using the jack on the other side. Need to pick up a couple of elbow end 6-foot TRS cables, to allow for this pedal to be a lot closer to the 6166, on the (eventual) board.

I kind of wish the jacks on the Dual Expression had been top-mounted, as they are on the 6166.

I'm kind of still on the fence as to whether or not really like this unit. It's made of plastic, and the throw (travel) on it is very short, compared to that of the Ernie Ball 6166 volume, next to it. I'm so used to the smooth as glass travel and long taper of the 6166, that I've become spoiled for the feel of that. It's got just the right amount of resistance, that it feels extremely solid, unlike the Dual Expression, using the second plug on that pedal. I kind of wish the jacks had been top-mounted. I'll need to pick up a pair of elbow ended cables for the Dual, to save on space on (what will eventually become) the pedalboard.

Last edited by david57strat, Dec 19, 2018
    #87 david57strat, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Nick4305, Water-Rat, Froley and 2 others like this.
  8. david57strat

The two newest pedals to arrive today, are these:

[​IMG]
    Left: Walrus Audio Deep Six v3 Compressor (replaces my Xotic SP, which was nice, but didn't give me as much control as I'm used to over the compressed signal. The v3 is amazing :).

Right: Walrus Audio Fathom Reverb - another stellar reverb pedal. It is temporarily replacing the Afterneath reverb (which is need of warranty repair)....and it has trails. Gotta have those reverb and delay trails. This one is significantly more intuitive to dial in than the Afterneath, and has absolutely beautiful tones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have yet to get a suitable pedalboard to mount these pedals. Looks like I'm going to end up with a Pedaltrain Classic Pro, which will give me space for all of these, plus a few more, and a suitable switching system ( to keep things super quiet, and easily-manageable). I'm looking at a GigRig G2 (but the budget won't allow for that, for a while). Soon enough...

The volume and expression pedals won't be on the board, once I get the switcher. Probably better that way, because of the additional angle, with the pedalboard angle (more comfortable to use volume and expression pedals, not mounted on a board).

Last edited by david57strat, Jan 31, 2019
    #88 david57strat, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Nick4305 and ProjeKtWEREWOLF like this.
  9. david57strat

Finally picked up a pedalboard:

[​IMG]

The latest iteration (still experimenting with pedal order):

[​IMG]
    Still need to mount those two power supplies underneath, replace a few patch cables with low profile ones, neatly run all of the power cables, and I 'll be good to go!

Nick4305 likes this.
  10. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

I'm in the process of building my own Esquire copy----?
    Quite a way to go yet--
    [​IMG]

david57strat likes this.
  11. david57strat

Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Froley likes this.
  12. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

Thank you---I always wanted an esquire when i was a kid--but too expensive---now that I am a geezer---well too expensive...?
    How's that work---?
    So attempting to slowly build one...still awaiting some parts but I'll post photo's when done...!

13. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

So i've cut out a pick guard and test fitted tuners...drilling and fitting the neck and tuners is next...
    let me know if posting on this is boring and I'll stop....
    [​IMG]

14. david57strat

No, no, no. By all means - please do continue. I'm really looking forward to seeing the progress of this on-going project :).

Thanks for posting!

Last edited by david57strat, Nov 30, 2019
    #94 david57strat, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Froley, twin63 and That Movie Guy like this.
  15. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I agree. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Froley and david57strat like this.
  16. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

I'll keep posting then as I make progress---unfortunately only a bit of time every so often to work on this project and I am trying to take my time to insure success----I'll post my next update as I advance...thanks---!

twin63 and david57strat like this.
  17. david57strat

After many years of wanting to get back to my piano roots, I finally bit the bullet and picked up a Yamaha MX-88 digital piano. I absolutely love it! Now, I can finally record my ideas properly, and refine my original piano playing skills, at any hour of the day.

[​IMG]

18. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

A bit of work on the Esquire guitar project this week--fighting an awful cold put much on pause however...?
    I marked and drilled out the mounting points for the tuners...
    [​IMG]
    and then installed them....
    [​IMG]
    These are moderately priced after-market tuners..but seem to fit and function well....
    [​IMG]
    I am somewhat concerned that I am attempting to co-join a ton of unrelated aftermarket guitar parts to make a complete item...?
    Which is how evolution constructed the platypus---?
    Once I get rid of this cold I will drill the neck mounting point holes..? This is an element I am worried about since as we all know neck to body fit and angle are incredibly important and are like tropical fish--everything kills them...so I am somewhat afraid of this segment...... but---?

That Movie Guy, ran23, twin63 and 2 others like this.
  19. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

I managed to mark the neck to body screw positions on the Esquire neck this week...
    [​IMG]
    I am going to triple check everything prior to drilling...I am somewhat worried about this neck drilling process never having done this before...
    and if I mess it up the neck is pretty much toast...
    So i want to be totally sure of positioning and pick the right time to do this---
    [​IMG]

david57strat, twin63 and ran23 like this.
  20. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Fender designs are intended to be musical Lego toys. Leo Fender was the Henry Ford of the guitar world.

Froley likes this.