1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

MUSICIANS - Let's Hear from You! (formerly entitled Musicians - Let's See Your Instruments)

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by david57strat, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Nice to see this thread still rolling along. I just noticed the change david had made to the original post too. So to roll with that:

First off, for those that don't know, I play clarinet, alto sax, flute, piano and a few other things.

• What caused you to start playing?

When I was a kid, I was wandering around the dinner table one day and spotted my Dad's clarinet laying on the table and I thought to myself, "Hey, that looks cool, I want to do that!"

• Are you still playing that instrument/those instruments today?

Yep, still playing... the only instrument I don't play much anymore is bass clarinet and that's because I'm poor and cheap and a good Bass Clarinet is big money, so I don't have my own.

• Is there an instrument you'd like to take up playing?

Well, I'd like to get into harmonica more. I used to have one, but it vanished, so eventually I'll pick up another one and get back into it. I like the idea of playing guitar, and I have an old acoustic laying around the house, but I just never had enough ambition to really try to learn it.

• Who were your musical influences?

My Dad, Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Richard Stoltzman, various 60s groups, Beetles/Beach boys/etc., Tijuana Brass, etc.

Now, I have a much wider variety of musical influences. Jazz, Country, Rock, Pop, etc. I especially like ensembles that use classical instruments to play modern sounding music. There's a group called Edmund Welles that I love because they are a Bass Clarinet quartet that plays rock covers and original tunes that are a mix of Classical and Rock.

• What style(s) of music do you enjoy playing the most?

I enjoy playing Jazz the most, because hey, you get to take someone else's stuff and turn it into something that is completely your own.

• Do you play on your own? With a band, or other musical group?

Right now there are two pops-style community bands that I play with. Mostly modern classical-style concert band music mixed with jazz, show tunes, movie music, standards, etc. I also sing with a couple choirs. I play in church occasionally, especially during the summer when the choir takes off. There's a few annual events I take part in, mostly Messiah sings where I either sing or play clarinet with a volunteer pickup orchestra.

• Any interesting stories to share about your life, during your musical journey?

Hmm... not really. It's been fun though. Playing with larger ensembles takes you places, lets you meet a lot of people you normally wouldn't, and can give you some unique opportunities. The thing I love and hate the most is playing in an orchestra, especially a high level one playing high level music. I did this once in college. It is so nerve wracking and tough for a wind player. There's plenty of string players, but usually only two of each wind instrument and sometimes the guy next to you is even playing a different part. It's so fun after you finish because if you can play in an orchestra, you can play anywhere, but until you pull it off, it's pretty nerve wracking. Somehow it's even worse than standing in front of a bunch of people to sing a solo (which is almost as bad on the nerves).

Dubbs and david57strat like this.
  2. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Big band gig last night
    [​IMG]

3. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

What a wonderful selection of instruments!

Just out of curiosity, what do you plug into, when you're playing electrically? Any favorite effects/setups? Any favorite style(s) of music you like playing?

4. kwispelhond

kwispelhond Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I like them too :D. Took me years to come to these, the oldest one is with me since 1972.

In the picture you already see a Marshall 2144 (under the mirror) and a Line6 Flextone II (other side of plant). My main amp at this moment is an Ashdown Fallen Angel with either it's original 4x12 or a Marshall 2x12:

[​IMG]

I also use a Ampeg BA115T and a Fender Princeton but these I don't have at home for a picture (Ashdown isn't at home either but had some picture ready).

As for effects: I have a very flexible pedal-board, literary as I use elastics to hold them. I kind of switch them for what I need at that moment, have about 7 or 8 in use on average. Favorites are a Hartman Classic Germanium Fuzz, a Maxon OD808 overdrive an a Ibanez AD9 delay.

As you may have guessed, music is more than just a hobby for me. At this moment I play 2 bands and a number of projects so it eats enough time but also makes my some money.

david57strat likes this.
  5. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

1938 Cleveland King American Legion ceremonial bugle. I played trombone when I was younger, and am finding the transition to the smaller mouthpiece easier than I thought it'd be.

Sent by owl post.

ran23, lauchaAA, Dubbs and 4 others like this.
  6. Grumpy521

Grumpy521 Loaded Pockets

It's sort of a sickness in my family.
    [​IMG]

7. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

I admit, I used to play the Bodhrán back when I was like 7-9 years old. Not much anymore.

I found a Jews Harp at a store for $3, picked it up and fell in love with it. It's an enjoyable instrument, and I don't get where people said it hurt them. I never found that.

I occasionally play the jug (or a bottle) in a bluegrass group with my mom and a few friends. It's surprising how many people react positively to something like a 'shine jug.

Water-Rat, CatherineM and kwispelhond like this.
  8. Dubbs

Dubbs Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    I play the conga. I always was intrigued with drums and wanted to try but I thought it was something only men did. (I know, crazy!) When I was fifty I went to a noontime concert in the park with a coworker and mentioned my fascination with drums, especially hand drums. She said, "oh wouldn’t it be fun on breaks if you played the drum and I danced around." We both laughed because it was such a silly idea but when I pictured that silly idea I suddenly thought, ‘hey, I could do that.’ Visualization is an awesome thing!

The next week I signed up for a conga class at the community center and had a ball. When that teacher left the next one was teaching djembe (West African drum) so I took up that drum. I’ve spent the years since making drum friends, going to drum parties and drum camps, and exploring.

In 2003 I went to Mali because of my interest in djembes. We travelled around in an old dump truck that had been converted to a bus with benches in the back, from Bamako to Tombouctou and back.
    [​IMG]

In 2009 I went to Cuba with 29 other female drummers. We travelled from Havana to Baracoa, taking lessons, hearing lectures, and watching performances by folkloric groups.
    [​IMG]

Now I don’t take lessons anymore but I play the rhythms I’ve learned whenever the mood strikes me. Or I hear a jingle or song and try to replicate it on the drum.

mizedog, batteur, lauchaAA and 4 others like this.
  9. QuodErat

QuodErat EDC Junkie!!!

That's wonderful, Dubbs!:rolleyes: You've inspired me to re-post a couple of shots from my thread.

[​IMG]Coaching Quartets in Colorado 2000 by Quod Erat, on Flickr

[​IMG]edc at work 1 002b by Quod Erat, on Flickr

The pic of me was taken about 15 years ago. At the time, I was coaching chamber music in Colorado. The violin itself was photographed at the time of purchase, half a lifetime ago. All told, I dedicated 50-odd years to "the art of the bow", as it has been called. Today, I'm fully retired from the classical music scene.

10. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I've already posted my drums, but a friend asked if I could accompany him and his guitar with a cajon - a box drum, essentially. I'd never played one but gave it a try. It was pretty simple and loads of fun. I figured, heck - it's a wooden box... I can make one! So I did. It sounds pretty good definitely better than it looks.
    Here is a picture of it.

[​IMG]

Then however, my 3 boys wanted ones of their own, too. So, we spent some time in the workshop building their own. I cut the wood on the table saw, gave them a helping hand when required but pretty much let them loose on the building, sanding and staining of the drums. Lots of fun building them, and now lots of noise learning how to play them!

It was easiest to get pictures when they were sanding and staining as I didn't have to pay as much attention to each of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. david57strat

I was just taking another look through this thread, and came upon this post. Just wanted to ask how you're liking your new guitar, and how your music studies are coming along. I hope you're loving the instrument!

Enjoy :D

12. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

Hahaha, not that new anymore. Still play a lot. Have to play on a 'show' in two weeks.

david57strat likes this.
  13. david57strat

Excellent! One of my favorite things is playing in front of an audience,especially with other musicians. There's nothing like it. It's a wonderful experience. I will never tire of it.

Good luck with your gig, and have a blast!

14. Matt Shepard

Matt Shepard Loaded Pockets

Finally getting a chance to post here. I started playing as a kid and then picked it back up in 2008. I used to play a lot of rock...Hendrix, ELO, Pink Floyd, Von Bondies, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, etc.. But, a couple of years ago I started focusing primarily on the acoustic. I love the simplicity of not needing a pedalboard and I really love to fingerpick. Now I play a lot of Dylan, some Lumineers, some more Pink Floyd (Mother is a great acoustic song with a killer electric solo), and Folk in general. Plus, "Don't Think Twice" won't scare my 7 month old like the opening solo of, "All Along the Watchtower" will.

Just some photos that I had easy access to but I'll get some more up soon enough.

My little Pono Parlor. I really love this guitar and it is super responsive to fingerpicking being such a small body.

[​IMG]
    This picture isn't mine but is off the site from when I bought mine. That cutaway is what sold me.

I'll get some pics up of my Martin OO.

Electric wise, I'm primarily using an Ibanez AR in Cherry Burst that I switched the pups. I'm usually running that through a Laney Cub 15 with a 2x12 cab.

I've got some new pickups to switch out in my Strat...really looking to nail Gilmour's tone from the Mother solo.

Again, I'll get some more pics up today.

david57strat and Water-Rat like this.
  15. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Bassist, guitarist, learning the drums.

• What caused you to start playing? Wanted to be like Dad, play guitar.
    • Are you still playing that instrument/those instruments today? Moved primarily to bass in the 90s when everyone in SoCal played hair guitar. It was hard to start a band without a bass player so I created my own demand.
    • Is there an instrument you'd like to take up playing? Just bought my daughter a 1957 Ludwig kit and I'm sneaking time on it.
    • Who were your musical influences? Too many to list. But, as a bass player, jazz/fusion/funk gets me going. My first performance was in 1975 and I played a couple John Denver songs for a church.:eek:
    • What style(s) of music do you enjoy playing the most? See above. But, I run the music ministry at my church.
    • Do you play on your own? With a band, or other musical group? Have done all the above. Still playing in band at church.
    • Any interesting stories to share about your life, during your musical journey? Let me think and get back to you...

david57strat and Water-Rat like this.
  16. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Nice!! Did you put snares in them?

17. david57strat

I haven't purchased a piece of musical equipment in a very long time; but this was on sale at Guitar Center, and after seeing numerous videos of one, in use, I had to get it.

It's a TC Electronic Polytune 2 Noir.

[​IMG]
    This is a terrible iPhone picture, that doesn't do the tuner justice. Super bright display. You can actually play all six strings simultaneously (It's poly chromatic), and it'll tell you which ones are sharp or flat. Or, you can choose strobe modes, alternate tunings, etc.

The bypass switch on this thing is extremely quiet. You could actually put this, in your signal path!

I'm going to have to take some much better pictures of this tuner. This one doesn't begin to do it justice.

It's, by far, the most accurate , highest quality guitar tuner I've ever owned, in thirty-five years of playing :)

#77 david57strat, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Water-Rat likes this.
  18. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Ancient. That sounds so funny to me as remember when these things came to the music store I worked at, in the 80s. It was definitely cutting edge then because it had that scooped mid option so all the people with tiny combo amps could pretend they had a half stack.
    Ah, the good ol' days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

19. david57strat

Forgot to show the actual amp I've been using since 1999.

It's a Fender Ultimate Chorus

[​IMG]
    I don't use the preamp section of this amp at all, but bypass it and use strictly the power section,coming out of my rack equipment. It has a wonderful clean sound. The distorted stuff...not quite as sweet. But, it's still going strong after all of these years.

I used to also have an M80 Chorus, and I ran left and right channels feeds from the rack stuff, to each of these; but I sold that to my cousin, back in 2001, and it's been just this one, ever since, for electric work (practices, live gigs, and even some limited recording).

One day, if I have money coming out of my ears (If I win the lottery or something lmao), I'll probably pick up a Mesa Simul-Class 2:Ninety tube power amp, and a pair of Mesa Rectifier slant 4/12 cabinets, and a pair of the tiny 1 x 12 Recto cabinets (for smaller gigs lol).

I haven't' picked up the guitar in a few years, but need to get back to it. It's been way too long, and I am longing to play again. I am sure many of you understand this feeling.

I hope to hear from more of you. Let me know what's been going on with your and your music.

Last edited by david57strat, Aug 3, 2017
    #79 david57strat, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  20. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Woah, the thread is still alive, lol. Hmm... something's really crazy with your image... maybe it's just my computer. Who knows, but the left 2/3s of the pic is pixelated in shades of green.

So, not too much has changed with my music. If I didn't mention it earlier in the thread, I play clarinet, alto sax, flute, and piano, and I sing too. I started singing in a community choir which has limited my ability to be in one of the community bands I'm in because of conflicts, but I still try to play with the band too. I'm still playing with another community band, which is planning to play at Carnegie in February of next year.

I'm playing with a jazz band that plays 1920s and 1930s jazz tunes. Interesting instrumentation because there's 3 guitar/banjo players plus me on woodwinds, a singer, a drummer and sometimes a bassist. Haven't had too many gigs lately, but I did play with them on a local beach at the start of the summer. Outdoor playing is a whole different thing, especially when you're playing on a windy beach.

I still sing with my church choir too, but they don't sing during the summer. However, volunteers provide music during the summer and I've gotten to play in church a couple times now.

david57strat likes this.