1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

MUSICIANS - Let's Hear from You! (formerly entitled Musicians - Let's See Your Instruments)

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by david57strat, Jan 30, 2015.

1. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

Edit - April 11, 2015 about 9:30 p.m.
    I looked around to see if there were any other musician's threads out there, and found this one (link below)

http://edcforums.com/threads/musicians.89734/

Had I found this originally, I'd have just added on to it. Instead, I created my own (below). The other original thread poster @HybridsMomentsPass, simply asked if anyone played instruments, what they play, and what sort of equipment they were working with. The responses were wide-ranging, and there was some great stuff to read.

Originally, my thread was pretty much just about sharing pictures of our beloved instruments, and our musical setups; but I've discovered that I'd really like to know more about you folks out there, who play - not just pictures of your stuff. I want to hear from you - my fellow musicians. I have to clarify - I'm not just wanting to hear from professional musicians (I am not one), but people who love to play, regardless of whether or not they've ever made money, doing it.

I (and, certainly, plenty of other musicians within these forums) would love to know things like:

• What caused you to start playing?
    • Are you still playing that instrument/those instruments today?
    • Is there an instrument you'd like to take up playing?
    • Who were your musical influences?
    • What style(s) of music do you enjoy playing the most?
    • Do you play on your own? With a band, or other musical group?
    • Any interesting stories to share about your life, during your musical journey?
    Below, is the original forum I started. Please add to it, anything musical you'd like to share, and let's bring this thread back to life.

I'll add a new posting to the thread, below, so you know the thread still exists lol. It's Post #52, for anyone curious.

I will look forward to hearing from all of you :D

===========

I'm sure there are plenty of musicians within these forums. I thought it'd be fun to share some pictures of our beloved axes.

I'll start.

Edit 08-02-17 - I had been using Photobucket, for my image hosting, but recently they wanted to charge me 400 bucks a year, to continue with them (for third party image hosting); so I switched over to Imgur. So, I'm having to go through the painstaking process of re-building all of my image links, one by one. Thanks for your patience, while I fix all of these photos.

Also - I've got to ask. When I used Photobucket, there was an option to automatically size down all of my imported high resolution photos to 800 x 600; but I didn't see that in Imgur. How do I set it so that all of my images are this size, rather than full resolution, so I stay in compliance with the size limits on most of the forums I post in (including this one)? It must be a simple setting that I've overlooked.

Thanks, in advance!

[​IMG]

This is Annie, a 2001 Alvarez AD-CK60, with solid Koa top. I had an L.R. Baggs iBeam active pickup installed in it, when the stock pickup died. What a huge difference :). Also, had Chrome Grovers installed, and an amazing set-up done by Joel Grant, of Grant Guitars. This thing practically plays itself.

I'll have had her for fourteen years, come April 6.

Looking forward to seeing your photos :)

Last edited by david57strat, Jan 21, 2016
    #1 david57strat, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  2. david57strat

[​IMG]
    "Donel" - named after my best friend, who lives in Washington State. She's an amazing woman.

This particular guitar is a Takamine EF381SC, dreadnaught, single cutaway solid spruce top, with maple back and sides. The stock pickup was replaced with a Fishman Matrix Infinity (which sounds really nice). The guitar was set up by Joel Grant, of Grant Guitars, in Fountain Valley. He's been working on guitars for me, since 1983. He's very knowledgeable, friendly, and does first rate work. Joel lowered the action a bit, fabricated and installed a slip stone nut and saddle, and installed the Fishman pickup system.

#2 david57strat, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Shike, twin63, Cobra 6 Actual and 4 others like this.
  3. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

Gonna buy a new guitar next friday. So you'll have to wait a couple of days…

4. addylo

addylo Loaded Pockets

My axe is old and corroded just like me but we've been through a lot together.

[​IMG]

Beej64, Tromba, graveyard and 9 others like this.
  5. brisboy

brisboy Loaded Pockets

Nice horn.

Sent from my Casio calculator watch. ;p

Cobra 6 Actual and MartialArtist like this.
  6. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Here's the only pic I have on Flickr at the moment. This is a picture of the metal work on the bell of my Yamaha YAS-62 II Alto Sax:

[​IMG]3-30-13 003 by Dru83, on Flickr

Unfortunately I don't have pics of the whole mess at the moment, but between my parents and I, there's a digital piano, a set of orchestra bells, a flute, 2 alto saxophones, 5 clarinets, a recorder, and a harmonica. The flute, saxes, 3 of the clarinets, recorder, and harmonica are mine.

7. david57strat

Will look forward to seeing your post :)

Cobra 6 Actual and MartialArtist like this.
  8. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't seem to have any full pics of any of my guitars but I will try to fix that. Until then you get this.:smoke:
    [​IMG]

Shike, deeker, Water-Rat and 4 others like this.
  9. murrydan
    • In Omnia Paratus

murrydan EDC Junkie!!!

My baby, not expensive, but she does what she needs to do very well.

[​IMG]

Practice setup.

[​IMG]

But I replace the $30 Behringer with one of these ancient beasts on stage... Always carry a backup when using 30+ year old pedals - I have 2 more, but they in the shop at the moment.

[​IMG]

10. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Mine are Edc friendly. The guitar has been on the AT, through 6 or so hurricanes, and across Mexico. [​IMG]

Sent by owl post.

11. masofnos

masofnos EDC Junkie!!!

A repost from elsewhere

[​IMG]

Gibson SG Angus Young signature
    Ltd h-351
    Ibanez RG
    Ltd b-104

[​IMG]

Ibanez intercity
    Ibanez ew50
    Hofner classical
    And some aria banjo lol

Wydern, graveyard, Shike and 8 others like this.
  12. addylo

addylo Loaded Pockets

Lots of fiddlers here. I'll add these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

My dad gifted me a guitar tuner today. Nice!!!

[​IMG]

14. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

I'll have to take a few photos shortly! More into guitars but I also have a digital piano. Okay, a cheap keyboard

Sent from Catherine's iPhone using Tapatalk.

15. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

My drum set. The photo is old, the setup is usually a bit more minimalistic today, the heads have changed to other models, and there’s not everything visible. But generally it’s the same today. This was in a shared rehearsal room with another band. There are more instruments at home.

[​IMG]

Wishoot, Beej64, Shike and 6 others like this.
  16. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

17. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

At the moment this is my setup…

On the left my teachers electric guitar and on the right my cheap acoustic one.
    Can't wait to buy a new one next friday!!!

[​IMG]

Shike, david57strat, twin63 and 3 others like this.
  18. addylo

addylo Loaded Pockets

During my first year in college I lived in a dorm room with two other guys (all of us music majors) and a trap set just like that. Our dorm neighbors hated us. ;)

Good memories.

flatblackcapo likes this.
  19. masofnos

masofnos EDC Junkie!!!

What is this? I guess a wind instrument of some kind?

20. david57strat

[​IMG]
    This is an older picture (Taken in 2004 - about four cameras ago lol); but this is Lya, a 1996 Fender Standard Stratocaster. I added the perloid pickguard, It was initially set up by Ted Tom of Fingerboard Extension of Corvallis, Oregon, back in 1999; then by Joel Grant of Grant Guitars, around...2009 (?). Joel also installed locking Fender tuners, and fabricated and installed a slip stone nut on this one, so it stays amazingly well in-tune, no matter what's done with the whammy bar.

Back and side lit with a couple of old Maglites (back when those were the only flashlights I knew of. Boy..times have changed).

[​IMG]

She definitely has some battle scars on her, now - but still plays great as ever.

Love it!

Last edited by david57strat, Aug 2, 2017
    #20 david57strat, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Shike, twin63, flatblackcapo and 2 others like this.