1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Multitools/pocket knives in Canada

Discussion in 'Travel' started by ItsHardToKnow, Jul 1, 2019.

1. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

How are the knife laws up in Canada?
    I typically carry a single leatherman multitool, but curious what their laws are like.
    Heading there in 20 days for a week, going to Toronto

2. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

Living Ontario ( 2 hours away from Ottawa) I normally EDC a leatherman wave and a Spyderco PM2 when not at work. And at work I normally carry a DpX HEST and a wave. As long as your not causing :censored: you should be good. Also depending where you go there might be some additional security ( metal detectors and crap)

3. ItsHardToKnow

So it's legal to have a leatherman with a folding blade on it?

4. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

it's completely legal. as long as your not using it for something illegal. but just walking around having a leatherman as EDC isn't an issue

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Unless you're up to something illegal, it's perfectly fine to carry a Leatherman, folding knife, fixed blade etc. I carry a Buck-Strider SBMF folder every day.

6. ItsHardToKnow

I dont think I'll take a full sized, but maybe a small keychain size.
    Or, who knows, maybe I will do a Wave.

A week is a while for little things to go wrong and need screwdrivers, pliers etc

7. That Movie Guy

That Movie Guy Loaded Pockets

I live about 45 minutes from downtown Toronto and the bulk of my work is done in the city. A typical load out for me involves a variety of sharps for a variety of different uses/environments. Today's carry for example:

Spyderco Smock
    Leatherman Wingman
    Leatherman Squirt PS4
    Leatherman Micra

The large folder and larger of the leathermans get rotated based on my mood, the neighbourhoods I'll be in, etc. I always have the smaller leathermans in my pocket for times when something more discreet is needed. No need to upset the flock.

I also work closely with police officers quite often and they've never batted an eye at the pocketclips. I once asked an officer what he would do if he found me outside of work with my EDC, (on that day it happened to be my ZT 0350.) He said, "I'd ask you what you have it for." When I told him that I'd say for work purposes he said that was a perfectly acceptable response. The trouble is most ignorant knife owners would answer, "self defense!" Well, that's wrong. Now you've just told the officer that the primary reason you put that tool in your pocket that morning was to potentially harm another person.

TL;DR You can carry pretty much anything you like. Just use a little common sense and try not to act like a jerk.

jstert and Moshe ben David like this.
  8. ItsHardToKnow

Oh, I wont be a jerk at all. I just like having s screwdriver and pliers - they get used way more than some would believe.

Ok @That Movie Guy
    I'll be staying in the Trinity Bellwoods area and exploring as much as we can in 5 days.
    Going to Echo Beach on Sunday for a show
    Maybe go to a Blue Jays game
    Hockey Hall of Fame

Any places you'd recommend?
    Any good cafes, restaurants etc?
    We like to hit up antique/oddities shops, comic shops, RECORD STORES!, and my buddy like small breweries, so we'll go to one for lunch at some point