1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Multitools have ruined carrying knives for me...

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by sl66ICEcuba, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Varmitslayer

Varmitslayer Loaded Pockets

I would only carry a multitool but they are harder to clean out when you get junk in them. Which can be a real problem for me since my blades see a lot of skinning action.

2. Pine Box Parkinson
    • In Omnia Paratus

Pine Box Parkinson Not a N00b

I grew up loving small folding knives and SAKs. A friend in highschool always had a sweet MT on his belt. I finally got a good Large MT and used it for everything. But, it was too heavy, So that went in the bag.

I got into EDC and got a dedicated main blade, Got a smaller Leatherman Juice for the back pocket and still carry a VIC Cadet for my little tasks and fruit peeling.

3. Justinicus

Justinicus Loaded Pockets

I was all but weaned on Victorinox, and discovered the wonderful world of one-handed openers much later. These days, I carry both a multitool and a one-handed knife. Usually a 2-3in flipper or assisted-opener. The knife gets the most use... cleaning fingernails, opening packages, that sort of thing. But I use a screwdriver, prybar, can or bottle opener, etc. often enough that I feel naked without an MT. I could generally get away with just a SAK, but I prefer the extra leverage I get from a Leatherman. Also, a SAK just doesn't ride right for me anymore. My front pockets are otherwise occupied, and it just doesn't sit comfortably in the back pockets like it did when I was a teen.

The Leatherman Wingman has a decent blade, very easy to access... but it just doesn't replace a thin AO/flipper gentleman's folder for me.

4. maverickmonk

maverickmonk Loaded Pockets

I carry my leatherman rebar (oxide) in my tool kit in my messenger bag/backpack, and a knife-knife on my person. Since I'm a student the bag is always with me, and I can have the best of both worlds

5. Linejudgemick

Linejudgemick Loaded Pockets

I rarely use the knife in my MT. When I use my Leatherman, I almost always need the pliers, cutters, or drivers. Its knife just isn't as useful to me and I don't like the ergonomics of the of the handle. I feel a lot safer using a purpose built knife for whatever chore I think I need to use it for. Of course the same is true when I'm trying to use a knife for something it isn't designed to do. I'm more likely to have one of my folders with me, but when I do need it, the Leatherman can really save the day.

Justinicus likes this.
  6. Syclone

Syclone Loaded Pockets

I carry a Vic Spirit along with a primary blade and a secondary smaller blade. The butter blade in the Spirit is rarely used.

7. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

I have stepped back and did a double take on my MT and still cant carry a dedicated knife. My Charge TTi has every blade type I need plus more. It deploys quickly, locks up, and is easy to put away. I just cannot justify a second knife taking up so much pocket real-estate when the MT does it all. We all have different perspectives it just hurts to see my knives sitting around when they have been so good to me for such a long time.

AK Adventurer and metropolicity like this.
  8. Syclone

Syclone Loaded Pockets

So carry one! :p

Aleister and AK Adventurer like this.
  9. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Then do what I do. Like you, I find the Charge TTi does it all, but I'm still fond of my modest knife collection, so every once in a while I take out a knife to play with (especially love those flippers :bounce: ), sometimes find a use for, or just pocket for a day. That satisfies the knife guy in me well enough until the next time I get a notion. There is no point in getting too nostalgic or feeling any kind of guilt. Really, they are just things.

10. Robot Mania FU

Robot Mania FU Loaded Pockets

I gave up collecting knives once I got into MT's. Now I either carry my rebar, or a SAK fieldmaster when I don't think I'm going to need pliers

CitizenSnips likes this.
  11. Ibrahim Sarp Dogan

Ibrahim Sarp Dogan Loaded Pockets

my favourite edc multi tool is skeletool cx an she has 154cm blade, no need for any other knives.

12. Renegade Style

Renegade Style Loaded Pockets

every MT with OH knives-blades like the wave or so, is superior to "normal" knives.

13. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I always have my Skeletool and Tenacious with me. I don't think I have used the blade on the skeletool in a month. The Spiderco is the Go-To tool for cutting for me. The Leatherman is the Go-To for turning things. I don't think I would ever carry a SAK given a choice.

Justinicus likes this.
  14. bpeezer

bpeezer Loaded Pockets

Agree to disagree :D

Justinicus likes this.
  15. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

I have to agree with this. I carry a MT and a knife daily. Usually some form of SAK for work and a Leatherman. But, got my Spirit X in so I will carry it for a week and put my Cryo back in my pocket.

SAKplumber likes this.
  16. Justinicus

Justinicus Loaded Pockets

When you need pliers or a screwdriver, absolutely. When you need a knife? Can't say I even agree with you a little bit, then.

17. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

Using a multitool's blade just doesn't feel as right to me as using a knife. Fortunately UK law protects me from carrying a knife large enough to over-fill my pockets.

Justinicus likes this.
  18. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I still find value in carrying both. I suppose I could get by with just the blade on a multitool, but I would prefer not to have to. Neither of my multitools (LM Juice and Squirt) have especially good blades on them. I normally don't keep the Juice on my person since it's a bit bulky so it's in my bag along with some other tools. The Squirt blade is really small and the skinner-style blade shape isn't suited to all the cutting tasks I tend to encounter.

But if you've found a solution that works for you and minimizes your carry, then that's great. That's what the forum is about. Sharing experiences and finding out what works for each of us in our individual lives.

19. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I agree with these sentiments. Some people carry Leathermans or Vic Spirits in pocket sheaths. I don't know how they stand the weight. I can't even carry a heavy folder - 3-4 oz is about my maximum tolerance limit.

Interestingly, I carry a Vic Quattro 4-way and a P-38 in my coin purse, as well. I also carry a pair of DX nail clippers that I highly recommend.

20. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Unless you're left-handed. I'm left-handed and have to use both hands to open the blades on my Wave.

kertap75 likes this.