1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

multitools for bikes

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by towguy, Jun 9, 2016.

1. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Apparently the Victorinox Bike Tool is made by PB Swiss. Meant to get one for my daughter for Christmas but Amazon ran out.

mlau and thatotherguy like this.
  2. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

It says PB Swiss on the side and on the components, so that would make sense. I just used mine for the first time- had to take a spoke off to replace the reflector- and I'm fairly happy with it so far. The bits seem to be high quality and there's a good variety of them. I reiterate my statement about the tire levers though. They'd work fine, but my 50 strong ones work better on my wheels. The spoke hooks don't work on my bike, but the shape of the lever end seems good to my amateur self.
    If your daughter has a birthday or some other occasion coming up, it'd make for a good addition to her bike kit IMHO, and it wouldn't take up too much room in a bag or pocket :)

WillAdams likes this.
  3. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

WillAdams likes this.
  4. AndyTiedye

AndyTiedye Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Wenger used to make a SAK for bicyclists.

SurivStud and WillAdams like this.
  5. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Yes, they did, and it's discontinued, and I am quite jealous.

Though really, what I want is to find a replacement for the Wenger officer's model w/ locking blade which I once had, but managed to lose.

6. AndyTiedye

A number of the old Wenger models, including some with locking blades, are available as the Victorinox Delemont series. The bike knives are out of production, but show up often on ebay.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

A swiss army knife with a single hex wrench, a single tire lever, and a corkscrew (really??) is a useless trinket compared to a real bike tool like the Topeak Survival Gear Box: https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-TT2543-Survival-Gear-Box/dp/B004GLHZZC. It's about twice the size of an EvoGrip and it straps to your bike so you don't have to carry it in your pocket.

[​IMG]

8. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Yeah, arguably I would've done better to get that, but I've had fun putting together:

- Topeak Ninja C Chain tool (hidden away in bar ends) --- debating on replacing with Mineral Barstow
    - Fix-It-Sticks (Standard B w/ 4, 5, 6mm hex and #2 Philips) w/ nifty bracket --- zip tied to my top tube
    - Lezyne patch kit (the slim one w/o tire levers)
    - VAR triple spoke wrench
    - Victorinox Bike tool (just got this for my birthday --- it's a keeper, but I'm not sure if it'll stay on my bike, or be given to my daughter --- I'm rationalizing keeping it 'cause some of my mountings require simultaneous tightening/adjustment of pairs of same-size hex bolts)
    - CRKT Eat ’N Tool --- roadside salvage, this is a stand-in until I resolve the matter of wrenches (leading candidates there include: Budnitz Titanium Beer Wrench, and Park Tools CBW-1)

And of course, my EDC bag has:

- Leatherman PST
    - Leathermand Crunch (just ordered, another birthday item)
    - Silca T-Ratchet + Ti-Torque Kit
    - vintage adjustable wrench (kind of like the one at the top of this photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hotiron/3662113734/ ) --- what I'd really like would be a Spyderench or Byrdrench, or a PocketToolX Wrex --- other suggestions, esp. in-production ones would be welcome
    - Mininch Tool Pen (and I'm probably going to break down and get a Tool Pen Min)
    - Mininch WrenchIt

as well as the now somewhat over-stuffed Levenger Safety Case w/ its camera tool kit, assorted bits, bit holder, Byrd Harp Tool, Bondhus and Wera ball end hex keys, and Mininch Tool Pen clone.

I'm hoping I can clear out some of the redundant functionality once I have everything in one place, and then see if the Mininch multi-purpose canvas pouch from their failed Duoket Kickstarter will work for me, or if I'll need to make something (probably along the lines of the Fialka toolkit: http://www.cryptomuseum.com/crypto/fialka/toolkit.htm I mentioned in another message).

Then, we'll see what else I need to (or can) add / relocate.

9. AndyTiedye

You never had to open a bottle of wine during a ride?
    (or beer, it has an opener for that too)

The little pliers have gotten me out of a few jams that standard bike tools would not have.

I pair it with a Topeak Toolbar to get the additional bits (and a really nice bit driver). That tool also has a pair of small tire levers, but I carry a separate set of 3.

The removable part is a spoke wrench. The SAK does not have tire levers.

It's also nice to have a knife. Bike tools tend to skip that,

I would describe that as a toolkit rather than a multitool.

WillAdams likes this.
  10. crustyfur

crustyfur Loaded Pockets

I was a bike messenger for 4 years in San Francisco in the late 90's. I carried an older version of the Topeak Survival Gear Box and with it I was able to cope with all but the biggest of problems! I tried lots of different compact bike tools but most were difficult to use because the tools were integrated into a handle of some sort. The tools in the Gear Box, being separate, were much easier to deploy and use. I highly recommend it!

deusexaethera and WillAdams like this.
  11. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Very cool! Unfortunately out of production --- interesting comparing it to the Victorinox Bike Tool --- I'd love to see an updated version using full-sized bits.

12. mlau

mlau Loaded Pockets

I can vouch for the usefulness of this tool.
    After getting seriously into repairing stuff (mostly for my dental office), I have to rate PB Swiss bits as some of the best in the world.
    This tool is a massive steal. maybe try ebay? Also, wrap it with a rubber band, or it can fall apart.

WillAdams likes this.
  13. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Thanks!

Amazon has since re-stocked, and I received one for my birthday --- great tip about the rubber band --- will do that as soon as I sign off.

Seriously tempted to buy a master PB Swiss bit set if nothing else.

14. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Suggest you cut yourself a ranger band from an old bike inner tube. Regular rubber bands -- even the ones from produce or lobsters -- just don't seem to have the durability you'll probably want! Just my NSHO!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

WillAdams likes this.
  15. deusexaethera

No, I haven't. Alcohol is a diuretic and a muscle relaxant, and riding (even slightly) drunk sounds like a bad idea anyway.

No argument there. I have yet to see a good pair of pliers on any multi-tool smaller than a Leatherman, though.

Even less useful, then. You're more likely to need to patch an innertube on a long ride than to need to re-true a wheel.

I agree, having a knife comes in handy. But knives tend to work best when not burdened with a bunch of other tools taking up space, so I carry a folding knife separately.

Semantics.

- - -

I won't argue that there is an ideal multi-tool for any application, but some are clearly better than others. Having hex wrenches that are separate pieces and thus easier to fit into tight spaces is far more useful on a bike ride than having a corkscrew is.

16. deusexaethera

Ah, another pragmatist in the crowd. Nice to meet you. :)