1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

multitools for bikes

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by towguy, Jun 9, 2016.

1. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I find that I can get by (on most common repairs) with a pair of pliers and an allen key if I really need to. That said, a small pump, tire levers, a spare tube and/or a patch kit (I like to carry both) and a good adjustable wrench are awfully handy to have.

I haven't yet needed a chain breaker, but I don't currently commute on a bike.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. aphex2k
    • +2 Supporter

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Have a cb17 for probs over ten years. Doesnt look like this anymore.... [​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Nick4305 and WillAdams like this.
  3. EricV

EricV Loaded Pockets

Yup, I have the same one in my mountain bike bag because it has the torx driver my other multi tool lacks.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

One thing I'm kind of bummed about, is apparently, for a while, there was a bike-specific Swiss Army Knife design, but it's since been discontinued (I guess in favour of the Victorinox/PB Swiss Bike Tool).

Winding down on the customization of my own bike, and hoping once I replace the grips (again, got Ergon GP1, want to try GS1s), saddle (again, got a Bontrager SSR 'cause it was cheap and more subdued logo-wise than the "Aero Mountain" w/ Montague logo twice-over --- not sure what I want though, something more comfortable, but w/ no obnoxious branding (subtle grey on black would be okay, though I may have to settle for the Brooks metallic badge if I go for a Cambium C15)), and pedals (tempted by Ergon's, but am trying to decide between folding or detachable ones from MKS) --- I'll be able to catalog all the fasteners on my bike (still debating replacing them w/ titanium so as to make the fasteners / material / appearance more uniform) and then work out what tools I'll actually need long-term.

Still debating about the tools though --- considering some which hide away in the handlebars (apparently Brompton does a set, and there's a local company doing a chainbreaker under the name Barstow), or frame-mounted (despite the orange colour the bracket for the bike-oriented Fix-It-Sticks really appeals).

5. EricV

EricV Loaded Pockets

For the really fancy folks industry nine has come out with their MatchStix tool which is basically tool storage in your though axle. Kinda neat but very spendy at $160ish. Hard to find a good picture with all its attachments. Another tool option is the storage containers that fit in bottle cages.
    [​IMG]

I ride a Brooks c13 on my SSCX bike and its been great, usually ride a 135 saddle. Almost all the comfort of my old B15 without staining my shorts.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. oxford_guy

oxford_guy Loaded Pockets

I have a Giles Berthoud Aspin on my Hewitt Cheviot SE tourer, with natural leather and titanium rails (don't think they do these rails anymore), I had a Brookes Imperial before (which was stolen), but the Aspin is much more comfortable, especially on long tours: http://gillesberthoud.fr/_en/boutique/fiche.php?CodeArticle=201GB1ASP

[​IMG]

WillAdams likes this.
  7. EricV

EricV Loaded Pockets

A friend had a Giles Berthoud on his LeMond, great looking and riding saddles for sure!

WillAdams and oxford_guy like this.
  8. oxford_guy

So comfortable, and most parts are replacable, even the saddle leather!

WillAdams likes this.
  9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

My cycling regimen is strictly for workout and training. When my bicycle malfunctions during a ride, I stop and call someone to pick me up. I have the repairs completed by professionals. I carry my Vic multitool, a large folding knife, a 2-cell flashlight, and a compact-sized firearm.

My rides are typically 12-15 miles each, 3-4 times a week.

10. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Thrilled that I just got my shipping notice for my Silca wrench and torque limiter --- really looking forward to it, and working out the details of how to always have it with me.

oxford_guy likes this.
  11. oxford_guy

My bike is my commuter vehicle, exercise machine and holiday tourer :)

sungame and WillAdams like this.
  12. EricV

EricV Loaded Pockets

Got it in today, probably going to resell it. Really well made but not legible enough for me. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick4305 and WillAdams like this.
  13. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Bummed to hear that! I'm thrilled w/ mine, and am adding it to a bag which is almost a daily EDC. (Though the tools usually come out when I'm not on my bicycle.)

One thing I'm already considering is adding to it some of the torque limiters from Fixitsticks.com --- any idea if those are more generally available?

EricV likes this.
  14. EricV

EricV Loaded Pockets

I just don't trust myself enough to not over-torque with the small gaps between lines. It was fun to check against my digital torque wrench adapter, both read spot on each other, which was nice piece of mind.

Those are available individually in inch/pounds I think. lapg has some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillAdams likes this.
  15. ocabj

ocabj Loaded Pockets

I'm a little late to this thread, and I don't really bike, but I do have a few pairs of Fix It Sticks, and several of the Fix-It Sticks branded torque limiters. These are actually contracted out by Sloky from what I understand, but they are solid torque limiters and very compact.

[​IMG]

I have a primary set of Fix-It Sticks that I keep in a small Maxpedition pouch with four different limiters.

16. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Yeah, next time I have some discretionary funds I'll buy the torque limiters which aren't covered by the Silca Torque measurer --- until then, I'll just keep using my old-fashioned Craftsman beam-style torque wrench.

17. azaex

azaex Loaded Pockets

when I had the time to ride around I took a Leatherman Mako, two bit kits, a chain breaker, a tube and tire lever. Mako and bit kit is sufficient to fix most things I think on a bike, though it won't be very fun. I brought my Leatherman Crunch with me on longer rides for a bit as a last ditch option.

I've gotten a bit used to adjusting to torque ratings in the field, but still verify at home. imho if I'm fixing something in the field, it's to get myself home, will do a proper fix at my place, but then again I haven't gone on too many 100+ rides :p

WillAdams likes this.
  18. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

In case anyone else needs a source: http://mtzoom.com/clamps/handy-multitool-chainbreaker/

Went w/ a Topeak Ninja C Tool myself --- considering a Mineral Barstow.

sungame likes this.
  19. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I got a Victorinox brand bike tool for Christmas this year (since I'm planning on starting to do some commuting on a bike fairly soon, I asked for a bike tool). It seems pretty nice, and since it's Victorinox I'm sure it's good quality. It has several bits, a small Allen wrench type driver handle, and a pair of tire levers. I'll put it through its paces before passing judgement, but so far I'm happy with it. I like my Fifty Strong tire levers better, I must admit, but tire levers are small and light so I don't mind throwing both in my bag.

I had to take my back wheel to a bike shop to get a broken spoke replaced recently. Just my luck the spoke that broke was on the gear cassette side, and I don't have a cassette wrench. I had to order a spoke anyway so I just had the shop replace it instead of driving there to order a spoke and get the cassette off then bring it back to get the cassette back on. It bothers me having someone else do work I could do myself, but the guy at the shop was a great guy so it's all good :)

WillAdams likes this.