1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

multitools for bikes

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by towguy, Jun 9, 2016.

1. towguy

towguy Loaded Pockets

hello all, so what does everyone carry on bike rides? just got back on a bike after 29yrs. still a blast...

2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've been wonder about this myself. I have kids and have to fix stuff on the fly all the time. I have a tool I bought but it seems lacking.

3. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I have the Park MTB-3 multi tool. It will give you the tools to fix/replace almost everything on your bike.

miked likes this.
  4. 313

313 Uber Prepared

I never really got into those bike-specific multitools. I just carry 4 and 5 mm allen keys and tire levers along with my EDC multitool, and a chain tool on longer rides. Those all-in-one tools can be handy around the house, but full of useless bulk if your bike is full of only one or two types of bolts.

I always had a Park tool in my pocket when I worked as a bike mechanic, but never on rides.

WillAdams and Mumbojumboo like this.
  5. andy3101

andy3101 Loaded Pockets

6. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

i carry a Bell Cross country tool, its a rip off of the crank bros. not bad at all even has a chain breaker.

[​IMG]

also these things some times

[​IMG]

Last edited by Moco, Jun 12, 2016
    Lorenzo and ran23 like this.
  7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry Topeak Alien tools on each bike along with a Plier based MT and so far have always had what I needed,well that and a cell phone and credit card!
    The Topeak are really nicely designed and made I think and aside from the leverage only larger tools can provide they work pretty well for me.
    I also carry one of their expanding tire levers on my Road Bike which makes stretching them back together easy compared to using small levers.
    This is a pretty slick tool.

8. Zoltan Barfish

Zoltan Barfish Loaded Pockets

The Peter Atwood Wheelman bike tool is awesome!

reppans and WillAdams like this.
  9. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Trying to puzzle this out myself, having finally gotten to buy a bike of my own (Montague Swissbike X50 --- don't ask me why it's not a Paratrooper, the reason makes me very angry) after riding my daughter's Trek 820 for a couple of years.

I'd forgotten about the Atwood Wheelman, and am glad of the reminder, though saddened that I'll likely not have the chance to buy one.

Probably I'm going to try to design a tool myself --- an update of an old design for the 21st century. First step will be finishing fitting out my bike w/ accessories (want to add a bell and fenders yet), and maybe doing some upgrades (see afore-mentioned note on X50 vice Paratrooper), then cataloging all the fasteners on it.

Zoltan Barfish likes this.
  10. Zoltan Barfish

Zoltan Barfish Loaded Pockets

WillAdams there are a couple for sale on facebeek, I'll pm you group details.

11. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the FB PM --- I'll see about joining next time I'm in funds (probably come Christmas).

Okay. I remember using Chapman Tools w/ fondness from when I was in the Air Force, so this seems like a likely start:

http://chapmanmfg.com/products/2309-cyclists-set

Seems a bit odd that they don't have a spoke wrench or tire levers --- also surprised that they don't provide a smaller / lighter screwdriver handle or ratchet.

I bought a VAR Triple Spoke Wrench off Amazon, and hoping it will be nice quality --- if that falls through I'll get a Parks.

Pedros Tire levers seem to be the standard, so I'll likely get some of those.

That leaves needing a chain breaker (and spare links), and some sort of inflation system (and patches and/or a spare inner tube) --- still waiting on the balance of gear to arrive and be sorted out on my bike (a front bag which includes speakers, a frame bag where I'll likely be storing tools, and swapping the cheap Roswheel saddle bag w/ the small Avenir on my daughter's bike) --- also want to get a bell (thinking I'll revisit my childhood and get a Made in Japan Crane bell of some sort). Still need to sort out a water bottle cage (I'd like one which is easily reversible), and a better lock (found a nifty titanium one TiGr Lock: TiGr mini Lightweight Titanium Bicycle Lock with Mounting Clip which looks like it'd be perfect). Have front/rear Cygolite set, steel rack and panniers.

So, anyone have suggestions on a bike multi-tool which includes a chain breaker and CO2 inflation system? One candidate is: Serfas 17 Function Tool with Intergrated CO2 Inflator

Or, maybe it should be a chain breaker w/ spoke wrench (there seem to be a number from China --- given the prevalence of bikes in China you'd think their tools and accessories for this would be quite good / well-tested and brilliantly designed) and a pump?

Last edited by WillAdams, Jun 22, 2016
    kiloromeo96 likes this.
  12. Narcosynthesis
    • +2 Supporter

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

In terms of multitools, I just have a small plastic handled one with a range of hex/flat/philips drivers - fairly lightweight (unlike th enlarger kitchen sink options) and does 90% of what I want.

If I am going to be going out for a longer ride, add in a spare quick link for the chain and a compact chain tool and the usual puncture repair kit (levers, patches, pump) and I am good to go.

I generally like keeping things simple, so avoid the multitools that try to do too much - so far I have stuck to the driver tools, and am happy with a separate chain tool if I need, nd doubly so for more technical items like an inflator that I will just carry separately (though I will admit I have so far stuck with a more traditional pump).

13. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

One other thing I’m debating is either moving the Fix-it-Sticks replaceable edition to the bike, or getting the aluminum bike version.

14. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

There is a multi-tool sold at the bike shop where I got mine. This I would recommend over any Gerber, Leatherman and so on for it's specific to biking and it has a built-in chain removal tool.

This isn't exactly it but pretty much what I am talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Repair-...oor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1466699539&sr=1-11

WillAdams likes this.
  15. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

WillAdams likes this.
  16. aerosxl

aerosxl Loaded Pockets

Crank Brothers MT17. It was actually my main bike tool for close to a year, there wasn't much I couldn't do with it in terms of regular maintenance

finnsam and WillAdams like this.
  17. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

Tyre levers, pump and spare tube(s). I make sure everything that could come loose is tight before I set out.

18. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thanks to this thread. I got a Crank Brothers. M19. I tightened everything I could on our 8 bikes and one uni cycle. Zero emergency road fixes. Seems pretty solid and well thought out.

[​IMG]mumbo bike multitool by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

19. PageDetroit

PageDetroit Loaded Pockets

Good postings!

The wife and I do distance rides but she takes nothing but a phone and a credit card. Therefore, I take a pack with at least:

3 spare tubes
    pump
    backup pump
    tie levers
    chain tool
    chain links
    bike multi tool
    first aid kit
    wallet
    my 2 phones + cord
    clear or sunglasses (wear one, pack one)
    rain pants
    my rain jacket
    her rain jacket
    long sleeved shirt in case of cold
    20 OZ gatorade as backup to the two bike bottles on my frame
    small pliers (have been carrying pliers since I was a kid, all purpose!)
    large plastic trash bag, folded up
    pocket folding knife
    small role Gorilla tape
    baseball cap
    and in a small zipper case:
    - SIG226 or SW titanium revolver

Heavy? Yes. have I used much of this stuff as occasion requires? Absolutely.
    Being 20 or 30 miles away from home, I don't feel comfortable without supplies.

Oh, and in the waistband of the bike shorts, small sized collapsible baton. That, more than anything, puts me at ease so I can enjoy the hours-long ride.

WillAdams likes this.
  20. PageDetroit

PageDetroit Loaded Pockets

Apologies friends! Alzheimer's must be in the ascendant....I've just repeated a posting I made a couple of years ago.