1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Multitool to compliment a good knife? (Edited to add Pics)

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by smopoim86, Apr 26, 2009.

1. smopoim86

smopoim86 Loaded Pockets

I've been looking at a Charge TTi, but realized the other night that I carry great knives already and dont really have any use for a knife on a multitool. I hate having useless tools on a multi-tool (probably why i'm still carrying a cheapo coleman that was givin to me instead of buying a nice one, I cant stand the though of buying something with 25 features of which i utilize 4).

I work in the IT/Networking field, but would like to keep something that will take care of whatever i need. Weight and size are not a concern. I would also like the ability to keep a set of t6/t8 torx for working on my good knives with the tool( I realize i'll have to grind my own for some of the leatherman tools). I'm not completely opposed to Having a blade, I just don't want something with 2 or 3 different blades.

What are my options. The bladeless fuse or maybe a SOG/Paladin and buy individual tools to replace what i don't need?

Daniel

EDIT to add Pics of the two new toys:

I ended up with a Paladin PT-540 and a SwissTool Spirit+ Ratchet.

I used the PT-540 daily last week when i went to a youth camp to help out. I was primarily running electrical and network cables. I used every tool on it. Saved me a run to my tool bag for quiet a few things. It works great for punching down one or two lines or punching a keystone jack or two. I wouldn't want to punch more that that though ( you cant make up for the lack of an impact punch). Everything else worked well, but there was one thing that bugs me a bit. The handles bottom out against each other at the same time if not before the pliers do meaning if you are trying to pinch something very small, you can put much pressure on it. It's not a deal breaker but it can be annoying. Also, the sheath is lacking. It's leather, but isn't formed. it's just rolled up and bradded. I'm not too impressed by it. It works, but could be better. It seemed to fit better on my belt upside down (the snap is strong enough as of now that i'm not concerned about it falling out.)

Now, because of the weight and the uselessness of punch downs while camping or hiking, I got the swiss tool. I decided to get the +Ratchet because I wanted a set of T6 T8 torx for knife maintenance. I just got it today and my first impressions are great. The fit and finish are well above any leatherman or SOG tool. None of the tools clump and the locks are very solid. The way the pliers latch open feels much better that the friction handles of leatherman. The way they click and latch open and closed is great. I'll update again in a couple of weeks with a better review of the swiss tool.

Now, on to the good part... Pictures!
    Full Sized Images Here

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry for taking so long for getting the images up. There are a few more Here (same and the link above the pics).

If anyone wants to see a more detailed image just let me know. I'll get it for ya.

2. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Re: Multitool to compliment a good knife?

Victorinox Spirit. It has a blade, but it's a blunt-tipped & serrated one, which does not compete with a proper knife. Yet it has it's uses, so I think it's a good complement to a normal knife.

You'd have to carry a separate torx tool, though.

3. Dr. Bahn

Dr. Bahn Loaded Pockets

If you don´t want a knife on the multitool, this is the way to go. SOG multitools are very well made and you can´t go wrong with them IMO. On the other hand, having a second blade can´t be wrong! ;)

4. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

And having a backup blade on a multi-tool is never a bad idea. At the very least, you can chew it up with more abandon than you might show with one of your quality pocket knives.

-Trevor

5. Dr. Bahn

Dr. Bahn Loaded Pockets

Very good point! That would also speak for a SOG multitool because you can simply exchange the messed up blade with a new one for about 5 $!! :cool:

6. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Take a look at Paladin powerplay, basically a sog powerlock modified for IT/networking tech. I don't know any multi with T6/8 thou.

7. smopoim86

smopoim86 Loaded Pockets

Well, I ordered the Paladin pt-540. I hope I dont have a problem with the covers popping off like some people do. Thanks for the advice. I may get another multi for camping and hiking.... although that will be a while.

BTW, I already carry 2 knives daily. A larger knife (s60v blur, composite leek, or ZT0200) and a boker wharcom for stuff which could damage the blade. The wharcom is so easy to sharpen that it's not such a big deal to booger it up a bit.

Between this forum, CPF, and Blade my daily carry has grown more than i ever would have thought. Is there any hope of recovery?

Daniel

8. Dr. Bahn

Dr. Bahn Loaded Pockets

Sorry, but no, there is no hope for you!! :shrug: ;D

Good choice btw! I would like to get a Paladin myself but I haven´t found a dealer for it here in Germany yet. Maybe you want to take some pics when you got it?! :)

9. smopoim86

smopoim86 Loaded Pockets

Happily. Photography is one of my other hobbies.

It seems like everything is harder to get on that side of the pond. If you wanted one bad enough i would be willing to be a middle man for shipping.

10. Dr. Bahn

Dr. Bahn Loaded Pockets

Thank you very much for your kind offer but at the moment I am on a really low budget! Hopefully it will become better soon and then I might come back to you. :cheers:

11. ousanas

ousanas Loaded Pockets

yeah, those sog/paladin tools look awesome to me. It would be great for me in the cable biz.

I use the blade on my gerber multitool as the beater knife, cut anything and EVERYTHING with it. Of course, I just broke one of the buttons on that so I'll be using my skeletool CX I just got for a few days til the parts arrive. I think I'm gonna put the paladin down for either a fathers day or anniversary gift.. hmmm...

12. smopoim86

smopoim86 Loaded Pockets

Well, I received it a couple days ago. I'm pretty happy with it. I'll do a review with pics and stuff in a few days. It's the end of the semester and there is way too much work i gotta get done. Will be at least next Tuesday before i can do anything.

13. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

Just curious, what made you decide on the 540 over the 525? Was it because the 540 had all the fixin's? I've been thinking about getting one but can't decide. I've been leaning toward the 525. I noticed TigerDirect has them and I have a TigerDirect near me. I called but they are sent from another warehouse. So I can't go there and look at them in person. :shrug:

Parawolfe

14. mercop

mercop Empty Pockets

I have been carrying a Leatherman Juice S2 in my pocket for years-
    [​IMG]

My reasoning-
    Small enough to carry in my pocket, even in uniform or dress clothes (if I owned any)
    Usable Scissors that you can use without opening tool
    Smallest screwdriver fits eyeglass screws
    Needlenose pliers
    Contains no tools that I don't use

15. smopoim86

smopoim86 Loaded Pockets

The "I gotta have the best mentality"... LoL
    No, I wanted the wire strippers and crimpers. I sometimes do a bit of electrical as well as datacom and figured if i was going to get something it might as well do it all.

16. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

It's nice tool. I guess I may have to move up to the PT-540 too :) Thanks

Parawolfe

17. smopoim86

smopoim86 Loaded Pockets

Now i've gotten a problem. I went ahead and got the paladin for my work stuff. A couple issues: not so great for camping and a bit heavy for belt carry. The latter isn't a big deal as I generally carry my multi on the strap of my bag in a maxpedition sheath.

I'm considering a swiss tool spirit for possible belt carry and for hiking/camping. One think i'm wondering about is if the ratchet kit is very nice. Does anyone have one? Is it worth the extra weight?

ps. It's a sickness I can't escape. I feel i must be prepared for anything. I've already earned a reputation for it from classmates and friends (not that it bothers me, I kinda like being the prepared one).

EDIT: I'm reading. Found this, I think it's convincing me to go with the +ratchet option. $72 instead of $47, but what's the use is getting part if it's not got something you will need.

18. Scorpion Regent

Scorpion Regent Empty Pockets

Re: ratchet for EDC

Using a right angle ratchet for screw driver type bits isn't always the best idea. Right angle ratchets can apply too much torque and damage the fastener and possibly even the bit. Stripping a screwhead is the sort of problem that can happen in a matter of seconds and take a lot of time and/or money to fix so I am loathe to use a compromise tool that will only make things worse.

I make my living with tools so my multitool is for the real emergencies that occur away from home or the shop. Any repairs that can wait will get taken care of with my real tools. I suppose on a difficult adventure / journey where space and weight were at a premium then that SAK ratchet might make a lot of sense. Just be careful how you use it.

19. Styerman

Styerman Empty Pockets

The Spirit is one of the best Multi's , very fine build quality , very nice implements . The Ratchet kit is nice . I often use a Leatherman Universal tool adapter with mine .

Chris

20. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Empty Pockets

Totally agree with that. The serrated knife is a good complement to your normal knife EDC. Plus all the tools lock, it has great handle ergonomics, and it's a reasonable size.