1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Multitool suggestion (smaller than leatherman wave)

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Jason Liddell, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Jason Liddell

Jason Liddell Loaded Pockets

G'day all,

I'm looking to find a good multi tool a bit smaller the my leatherman wave. My wave is black model, hoping to get a smaller black model if available.

Wave is just over 100mm in length.
    Looking for something about 80mm in length

I really like the leatherman wave and its features, it would be great to find something smaller with same qualities and possible take the same bits, although not essential

Please let me know what you all have, what you love about them and dimensions if possible

Thanks in advance

2. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

I don't have a Wave but do own a Charge TTi which size equals the Wave. There is not other multitool smaller with precisely same qualities, that's one of the reasons why the Wave has been the top selling LM multitool through several periods and the Charge has been spoken of as the "top of line"

Signal, which I don't have, will provide you the bit holder, pliers and a couple of other useful things in a lighter MT, but you will sacrifice other important tools you might want to have (i.e.: second blade instead of a combo blade, scissors)
    Skeletool (I don't own it either) is the same size as the Wave in length, but thinner and noticeably lighter. Of course, it offers less than a half of the tools you will find in the Wave or Charge but it offers the probably most important ones.

If I want to carry something smaller or lighter I would take my Wingman, but that's when I am willing to left behind the set of tools Charge has (maybe when I perceive that I won't face situations with major challenges). The difference between sizes is barely noticed (almost none) and weight difference is more evident. As times goes by, I am trending to the conclusion that If you are willing to carry something in your pockets, the size & weight variations between Wingman and Charge won't make a difference at all and therefore you might prefer to keep the most complete multitool with you. Now, Wingman is cheaper and therefore if you damage it you won't lose the Charge price value.

When I am in real need of carrying something small (for instance, when I am wearing formal attire or in more restricted conditions) I would take Juice, not a bad tool at all and stronger than what it seems to be.
    The Juice Xe6 has all tools needed, Juice S2 is thinner and lighter. The Juice line solves the lack of a bits holder through a set of screwdrivers in several different sizes including a Phillips.

If you want Wave's capabilities in a smaller fixture, you might need to mod a Minitool or other former model.

I would love to see a new LM product like a mini Wave or mini Charge, stronger than Juice but with Wave/Charge functionalities. I would certainly buy it.

There are very many users in this forum, all of them more knowledgeable than me and they could provide you with more accurate data and alternative solutions.

#2 SurivStud, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    DFT17, alessandro.salvi and an0nemus like this.
  3. AndyTiedye

AndyTiedye Loaded Pockets

The Skeletool is the same length (counting the carabiner), but thinner and much lighter.
    You get the bit driver and 2 double-ended bits (and on-tool storage for the unused bit).

The pliers and blade are just a bit smaller. Scissors and saw are better on a SAK than a multitool and I always carry a SAK so I don't miss them on the LM.

#3 AndyTiedye, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Jason Liddell and rkazooti like this.
  4. AndyTiedye

A mini Charge TTI?
    At the other end, Surge TTI would rock too

5. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

A Wave with all it's features??

I think you'll struggle to find that in a smaller/lighter tool period,.....if you want good quality and the most capability you are kind of stuck with the flagship models I feel, hence why I'm still lugging a Swiss tool around on my belt. lol

6. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

Juice won't work for you?

7. kottskrapa

kottskrapa Loaded Pockets

I went from a juice s2 to first gen wave (they have almost the same tools) and I don't like the bits. But there is a bit holder for the juice that fits over the Phillips if I'm not mistaken.

I would go for that if I hade to choose

It's not failure if you learn something from it

8. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Skeletool if the bits are a priority. Light, essentional tools. Pair with a small SAK if you need scissors. There's a reasonable, we'll certainly noticeable weight difference between the wave and the wingman.

9. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

Swisstool Spirit and Rebar are the 2 best I can think of. Both are about the same size (4") but lighter. 7.4oz for the Swisstool and 6.8 for the Rebar, compared to 8.5 for the Wave.

10. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

I highly suggest the Rebar. It is the same size, but lighter and just more slimmed down in general. It has locking tools, and a bonus in that you can replace the wire cutters, but you are giving up the outside opening blades, scissors, and a great diamond coated file.

11. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

The Wave is a very well regarded tool, and if you are wanting to save weight then you will most likely have to accept a few tradeoffs...

The Skeletool is a nice 'lightweight' option, keeps the pliers and option to use the bits, but loses almost everything else in there to save weight - not exactly the full Leatherman 'toolbox', but a good lightweight option.

There are also the smaller Juice tools in their various forms - smaller and lighter, but with most of the same tools just in a slightly lighter duty equivalent.

If size and weight is an issue, it might be worth considering something like a SAK - admittedly a long shot as they do lack the pliers and bits of the Leatherman, but as a 'lightweight' alternative give a superbly useable toolset in a nice neat package.

tbzbbt likes this.
  12. Dydimus

Dydimus Empty Pockets

I second the LM Juice.
    I own a Wave and a Juice CS4 and tbh, unless you are doing some heavy plier work or you need the safety of locking tools, the juice performs as good as the Wave.

13. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

I carry a Victorinox Swisstool Spirit everyday and have for years. For me it is the perfect balance of size/weight and toolset. Also it is pretty ergonomic. I've been so happy with it that when I lost one (handed it to someone who then handed it to someone else who had no idea what happened to it) I didn't even look for something different.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

14. premise

premise Loaded Pockets

Mod a LM Kick to have the bit driver.

15. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Leatherman even have an appropriate adapter...

16. Dydimus

Dydimus Empty Pockets

Though is marketed as a kid's first multitool the Leatherman Leap seems quite solid, imo. It has basically the same tools as the Juice C2 with stronger pliers, one hand opening blade and locking tools. You cant use the bit adapter though.
    https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=58910.0

17. AndyTiedye

Victorinox Cybertools have bit drivers. All but the smallest one have pliers. Small pliers, but very handy.

[​IMG]

#17 AndyTiedye, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Jason Liddell likes this.
  18. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I'd go with the Skeletool/SAK combo

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

19. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Scissors for sure, more precise, but the Leathermans are not bad. A SAK is a great pairing, also, and in addition to complementary implements, a bit of redundancy never hurts.

20. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Skeletool : ├╝bercool, and genuinely useful as long as you are not pulling large nails or cutting fence wire. I carry one... everyday I'm away from office.

Juice CS4: Smaller, decent toolset for less demanding tasks with excellent scissors and not so intimidating. The electric blue is a fine colour. Most importantly,it has one winning feature to avoid the incredible hardship and ordeal faced by the great W.C.Fields:"During one of my treks through Afghanistan, we found ourselves without a corkscrew. We were forced to survive on nothing but food and water for several days."

Wave: No rival in my view. I find it perfect size with comprehensive toolset. Excellent locking blades and new model has bitholder but not is not as sleek as older model. I keep one in car and one in "outdoor" organiser pouch.

tbzbbt

Swe_Nurse and Moshe ben David like this.