1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Multitool for New Boy Scout

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by nmanhipot, Mar 1, 2010.

1. nmanhipot

nmanhipot Empty Pockets

It became clear to me that this was one of those decisions that I didn't want to rush. I further found out that he won't be allowed to carry any knife until he has earned his Totin' Chip, which could be a couple months away, still. I din't realize that the Whittling Chip was only valid for Cub Scouts. At his Boy Scout Crossover ceremony he received a beautiful 10"x30" Arrow of Light plaque and a Native-American hand-made arrow and I'm glad I let that be his main gift for Crossover.

I looked at the Wengers, having been a Vic carrier since my own youth, and I was very impressed with the can opener and the scissors. They are noticeably lighter, and a bit more expensive than the Vics, however, my local Army-Navy dealer has stopped receiving them and is exclusively selling Vics now. I almost pulled the trigger on the BSA retro pocket knife with the shiny brass end caps but it had no saw and was made in China, like almost everything else in the Scout Shop is now, even the uniforms. Grr!! The quality seemed very good and they had the Wenger-style can opener, but still, I just couldn't do it.

I appreciate the input and if you are just happening on this thread, please post your opinion as I'm still looking and will probably make it a Totin' Chip gift in a couple/few months.

2. Gremlinz

Gremlinz Loaded Pockets

swisstool makes a BSA branded one..nice too

3. qharjo

qharjo Empty Pockets

If you have a K-Mart in your area, they all seem to carry Wenger SAKs. I've seen the Esquire, Evo 10, and Tradesman models there. The Tradesman in particular is a nice SAK, as it has the can opener, the scissors, and also Wenger's excellent little slipjoint pliers. Though they're tiny, I've used those little slippies on a whole lot of things in the course of ~6 years of carrying my old Taskmate.

The Evo 10 is also not bad. It is the basic SAK tool set (blades, openers, screwdriver) with slightly more ergonomic handles and a main blade with a liner lock.

4. lonewolfranger

lonewolfranger Loaded Pockets

Any Leatherman with a good amount of options will make him proud. My son is a Cub Scout and he can't wait to get one like mine.

5. oldblazer

oldblazer Loaded Pockets

If you’re still open to suggestions, I recommend a Victorinox Farmer. As a Cub Scout I proudly carried Scout/camp folding knives made by two different makers, but sometimes wished for a saw. The Farmer has the tools common to the old-school Scout knives plus a great saw.

6. rasi

rasi Loaded Pockets

If pliers are not a must I can highly recommend the new Victorinox Swiss Army Knife 08 with both the serrated blade and bottle opener linerlocked or the Forester if you prefer a plain blade.

7. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

SAK Huntsman is the all time best Boy Scout knife. One got me almost all the way to Eagle.

8. Wstan

Wstan Loaded Pockets

When did this whole "totin chip" stuff start? I could understand it maybe for cub scouts, but... oh well, I guess someone's dad was and lawyer and it went from there.

9. chute43

chute43 Loaded Pockets

I had a totin chip back in 84ish , I dont think it was a univeral kind of thing though, as you don't really hear it mentioned all the time. I don't have any real dates though
    kary

10. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

As another UK Scout Leader, I would have to heartily agree with all points here...

A SAK is a classic tool, and have been serving scouts throughout the world for decades. I have carried one since joining scouts, and it has been a handy companion when camping and out and about. Mine is a huntsman (as recommended above) and I would put in another vote for that model, a good size and weight to carry, and has pretty much all the tools a scout should need. If you are set on a multitool then probably something like the Juice series would be the best bet for not being too large, but still having useful sized tools.
    While not a knife, the torch is another near essential tool for me, and one every scout should have on his own considering how many others will have forgotten theirs, lost it or run the batteries flat. Can I perhaps point out the EDC in my pocket right now - a Victorinox SAK (a smaller cadet) and Fenix LD01 torch...

As with everything taken to camp, make sure there is some way of identifying it. It is likely other scouts will have similar knives, and they are very easy to mix up when layed down when someone grabs the wrong one. So some form of identification is essential to make sure you can keep track of your knife. I know mine has my initials engraved on the saw blade which has always been handy in any claims of ownership.
    Alongside that make sure he has some way of attaching it to himself, since it is far too easy for things like SAK's to slip out of pockets when playing games and so on. Something like a carabiner or lanyard so he can attach it to himself or a belt pouch is a reat idea and always served me well.

11. DrekThanos

DrekThanos Loaded Pockets

A belt sheath is a really good idea for beginner scouts, imo.
    I know the rules on carry are a bit different in the UK than with troops here in the US, but I know that the scouts in my troop do better when its in a sheath.
    Also, while they are heavier, pliers are a really fantastic tool for a lot of applications. I would suggest waiting for a while before getting him a serious knife. I think First Class is a good point to invest in a "serious" tool for a scout. That's enough of a commitment to scouting that he'll have a really good appreciation for what he's getting while also being developed enough in the program to effectively apply it.
    But, I'm an ASM for a reason, namely that I don't have the age and experience to readily manage the scouts while I'm still in school

12. perpster

perpster Empty Pockets

FWIW, my boys got/get a LM multitool for making First Class. The first one picked a Charge. I've already got a Wave stashed for the next one, who is very close to First Class.