1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Multitool AND Knife Carry

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by cjsmith, Jan 23, 2010.

1. cjsmith

cjsmith Loaded Pockets

There might be another thread on this, but I couldnt find one. But I want to know if anyone thinks its overkill to have a multitool and a folding knife on their person. I usually have a folder in my pants and a Leatherman in my bag.

2. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

There are some circumstances where i could see carrying both a knife and a multitool. If you need a specialty blade for work. If you need a large blade. if you do a lot of work with your knife and need a comfortable handle. if your multitool does not have exterior blade access i could also see carrying a separate knife just for ease of access.

I carry a skeletool, it has an easily accessible exterior blade made of a decent metal and is reasonably comfortable to hold as a knife. i can't see carrying a separate knife for my use.

3. leatherman123

leatherman123 BST/Marketplace ban

It all depends really. If I am carrying one of my Charge, Wave, SURGE, or Skeletool's then I don't need to carry a secondary blade as I have at least one good liner locking one hand opening blade. However, if I'm carrying a SwissTool or Spirit I always carry a one hand opening knife.

4. buckshot

buckshot Loaded Pockets

Part of my EDC includes a Skeletool in my left front pocket, a folder in my left rear pocket (currently a Spyderco Native) and a Micra in my left front pocket. The Micra is on a a keyring with my work related keys, the Skeletool is carried mostly for the screwdriver and plyers, and the folder is my main knife for most cutting tasks.

I also typically EDC a Leatherman charge in my backpack toolkit in case I need a more significant multitool.

I dont mind having several items that have blades on them, or several items that can be considered multitools. I would rather have the redundancy than be caught without in case I forget an item at home, leave an item behind somewhere, or need to lend it out to someone.

5. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

I do. I carry a plain-edge folder and a Victorinox Spirit.

I never EDC'ed a multi-tool before the Spirit because I did not tlike the redundancy of having a blade in the MT and then a folder on me too. Then I got a SOG Powerlock S62 so I could replace the blade on it with another tool like the wire strippers but as I used the Powerlock, I felt it was too big and heavy to EDC.

Then when I finally came across the Spirit, I thought it was exactly what I was looking for. Even though it has a blade in it, it is a blunt-nosed serrated "butter knife". When I stopped to think about it, I actually though this made sense. I like my knives to be plain-edged (or fully serrated) and not partially serrated. I always felt a combo edge was a compromise. Not enough serration to be effective enough for me on fibrous things like rope and I lost a lot of edge for most cutting tasks. So the Spirit resides on my belt on the left side and my folding knife clipped in my right front pocket. Preferably tip up.

Now my knives I rotate are varied depending on the situation. For work EDC I usually carry a ~3" blade like my Kershaw Skyline or Buck Vantage Pro or Kershaw Leek. On the weekends, camping, hiking and such, I have one of my larger folders like the Spyderco Endura G-10, Benchmade 710D2 McHenry/Williams or Kershaw Blur CB. So one of these + the Spirit + Maratac AAA + Vic Classic or Cadet Alox + wallet + cellphone = my EDC.

The Spirit's "butter knife" actually works well on rope. The serrations on it are rounded (scalloped) and not pointed. This helps it actually cut and not rip and tear. That and the assortment of very effective tools, the comfort and size rounds out a very capable EDC set.

So now that I have been using this MT/knife pair, I think it is perfect and fit my needs to a T. :smitten:

6. 12am

12am Empty Pockets

I keep a Leatherman squirt in my coin pocket, which I use mainly for the scissors, and a small'ish knife when I'm at work. I carry the extra knife because the blade on my multi doesn't lock, and I always need a blade (hate using a box cutter). I recently stopped EDC'ing the knife to free up pocket space, but I still find myself reaching for it every now and then, so I might have to bring it back into the mix.

7. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

I carry a multi tool in My edc bag and almost always wear My Schrade lock blade on My belt. The blade on My multi tool just seems light for some chores. I've had the Schrade for almost 30 years now and it's definitely served me well and I'd feel almost naked without it.

8. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

I EDC a knife and sometimes a Juice S2. Usually just the knife. I will always have the knife, but sometimes the tool.

9. molawns

molawns Loaded Pockets

I EDC both. Victorinox One Handed Trekker and a Gerber MP600 Pro Scout Multi tool.

10. brianch

brianch Empty Pockets

I EDC a MT and 3 knives :( Soon to be four.. I need to visit the EDC rehab

11. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

12. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

Up until about a year ago, I would EDC a multi (generally a Charge TTi) in my bag, and then two folders (one large, one smaller - usually a Tinker and a Pacific Salt). Then I was laid off Jan 20 2009, and began a job with extensive travel about a week later. Checking luggage wasn't always an option when I was out of town for only 1 or 2 nights, so my EDC quickly paired down from the above to a pair of Sliver Grippers, a P-38, and a Gerber Artifact with the blade removed. Aside from missing having a knife on me at all, I found that I was enjoying my new found pocket space. I still carried pretty heavy for a while, but soon began to reassess my EDC. I began paring down my collection of about fifty knives. I didn't sell them, but they're packed away. Perhaps I should sell them to a good home. I started only carrying smaller folders (3" blades and below). Right now, my EDC knives is either a SAK Tinker or a Buck 303, and has been for about 2 months.

In October, I got a new job that didn't require me to travel, and is about 2 1/2 miles from my house. Score! Unfortunately, being a computer repair company, they experienced a rash of thefts about a year or two before I began there, installing a metal detector as a result. There's also a no knife policy in place. Since the SAK Classic that was riding on my keychain was considered a knife, I switched to a Micra that I disassembled and removed the knife. A good pair of scissors was a good compromise.

I now carry only one knife in my off hours, where I used to carry up to four. I don't really need that kind redundancy in the suburbs of Los Angeles. When I'm out hiking or camping, I'll go for the gusto, but I don't really need it at home.

13. jlagman

jlagman Loaded Pockets

When I was MT shopping, I preferred the PowerLock to the PowerAssist due to more tools etc. I also carry an Aegis to supplement my cutting needs and generally reserve my PowerLock's blade for high traffic :censored: areas.

14. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

I always carry a knife. It is nice that there is a blade on the multitool, but I carried a knife for a lot of years before I started carrying a multitool and I still prefer using the knife when I need to cut something.

15. cosine

cosine Loaded Pockets

I like to have both a knife and a multitool. Usually it's a Leatherman Fuse in my backpack, and a SAK Tinker in my pocket. Shortly I'll be adding a Delica to that list as well.

16. m0t0rhead

m0t0rhead Empty Pockets

zero tolerance 0350 and Gerber MP600. EDC.

17. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

As a creature of habit I carry both. Growing up I always had a SAK, and still carry one. Either my swisschamp or swisschamp xl in a pouch on my right side. When as a teen spyderco came out with a "one-handed" opening knife with a clip so it could be carried in a pocket without a pouch I got one. Still do, usually a syderco manix, but at work I use a Vic OHT. It doesn't clip, but it opens easy and the foward serrations eat up the plastic straps I need to cut. Shortly after, Leatherman came out with his wonderful tool and I just HAD to have one. Got one and quickly upgraded to the supertool when it was released. Then when Victorinox released the swisstool I eventually tried it and have been in love ever since (well, except for the stubby "needle nose" - for that I use a SOG). I carry a swisstool x in a pouch with the ΒΌ" wrench and bit kit on my left side.
    So there you have it. Vic swisschamp for versitility and comfort, a folder for locking blade that locks and is easy to deploy, and a multi for general use/abuse for repairs.

18. qharjo

qharjo Empty Pockets

My reasons:

1: Sometimes multi blades just suck. Too thin, too thick, half serrated, lose an edge quick, weird shape, awkward to cut with, don't lock, etc. In those cases, a folder makes a lot of sense.

2: Multi isn't one-hand opening. Pairing an OHO or fixed knife with an oldskool multi gives you much quicker blade access if you need it.

3: Multi blade *too good*. Kind of the opposite of number one. Maybe I think my Wave's main blade might be a bit intimidating looking for using in front of the Elderly Church Ladies Knitting Club or something. Having a more discrete blade might be more acceptable in select social situations (especially if you carry something "snappy" like a PowerAssist.)

4: You carry a blade for self defense. After a lot of reading on the subject, I think a fixed blade (even one of relatively small size with training) is a much better animal for self defense than a folder of any flavor, especially a multi blade. So you might end up with a *third* blade in this scenario.

---

Personally, I usually carry a Wave and a Micra, and no separate dedicated knife. The Micra blade does some very small cutting duties, but the Wave pulls most of the duty because it's OHO. If I go lighter, I'll carry a SAK and a Boker Subcom.

19. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

I suppose I'm going to be broadening the categories somewhat, because i carry at least one knife (sometimes SAK, sometimes single blade) but also carry SMALL multi-tools -and not necessarily pliers orientated. The only time I tend to have call for full size pliers is down at the boat, and I leave my Gerber Suspension down there so I don't forget it. Then again it hardly gets used due to the myriad of other (dedicated) tools at my disposal down there.

I'll sometimes have a utilikey, squirt P4, artifact, and SAK / single blade slipjoint. Occasionally I will swap out the SAK and squirt for a Case Camper with pliers, and this tends to suit my daily needs right now if I'm in an urban setting, but if my needs or environment changes - so will the tools. Overkill? Nah - not really! Depends on your needs. If you're lugging round a couple of kilos of shiny metal and only ever using one blade then maybe.

I want a Swisstool X - I NEEED one - I start salivating whenever I see one - I will get one soon - I must, I must!!! :drool:
    Will I carry it everyday - not on your nelly. For me in my current situation that would be total overkill .... but I still need one :evilgrin:

20. TempestV

TempestV Loaded Pockets

I've yet to find a multitool with a good blade. The blades are shallow and skinny. Because the tool is so heavy, they are pretty much universally poorly weighted, and the blade tends to sit off center, making them difficult to control properly. Since I rarely ever use the blade on my multitool, if I get it real sharp, then it will stay sharp for the times that I need a really really sharp blade. I've had my current powerlock 1.5 years, and it's still out of the box sharp, which in the case of a sog, means that it will shave the hair off your arm.

Even a folder is a bit of a compromise, and I greatly prefer a fixed blade, of which I have several. However, a lot of places aren't very fixed blade friendly, which is why I EDC my SOG Spec Elite. When I have to leave my fixed blade behind I still have a decent blade on me.

That makes for 3 knives. However, sometimes, I need to cut something that I really don't want to drag a good knife through, which is why I also carry a Gerber folding utility knife.

that's 4 knives, with the reasons behind them.