1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Multiple EDC knives: why?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jeffm, Apr 12, 2006.

1. marcalbar
    • In Omnia Paratus

marcalbar Loaded Pockets

3 for me. I rotate several of my knives as primaries, SAK Cadet alox as secondary and an classic alox on the car key chain.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

2. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

Oh man! What would I do without you covering for me! :D Tnx!

SAKplumber likes this.
  3. Copperhead78

Copperhead78 Loaded Pockets

I just joined the club. Just added a foilage VG-10 Spyderco ladybug to my keyring. I EDC a Spyderco Delica 4.

Blerv and mooshisho like this.
  4. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

If the detent on the Ladybug is a bit soft a small rubberband will help :). Great blades!

5. johndies

johndies Uber Prepared

I had broached this in a different way on another forum and it got somewhat sidetracked. Many years ago I carried one knife. I had several but I rotated them depending on mood or use. These days I commonly carry several. It appears to me that it is more common to carry several.
    So how many is too many? My standard carry today is about three. Through vests, jackets, and camera bags being thrown on at the last minute my total has gone up to seven. I'm fine with that, they are are legal and there is no restriction that I know of in my state. But at some point it is hard to explain to people, harder still if that person is an "authority". How many is too many?
    I generally like to have a pre scripted answer to questions that might be asked. "I like knives" is correct but simplistic, "None of your business, it's legal " is overly aggressive. "I don't know, it was a mistake" seems weaselly and falsely apologetic.

I think my limit to pocket knives is dictated by how many pockets I have. Wait, I could have multiple knives in pockets, that could be bad.

6. johndies

johndies Uber Prepared

[​IMG]
    My "accidental" EDC yesterday

Take2 and Kraycat like this.
  7. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Fällkniven TK3, SAK Alox Cadet and a SAK Classic SD. Thats every day carry.

If going out the woods, i´ll take my A1 too...

8. NeverAnonymous
    • In Omnia Paratus

NeverAnonymous Loaded Pockets

Totally depends. Usually now I carry a dedicated folder and a SAK. Before my rebar got stolen :)() I carried that too. And usually I'll have one in my bag. If I'm going hiking then I'll take a fixed blade too

9. johndies

johndies Uber Prepared

But why do we carry so many?

10. Zookie

Zookie Loaded Pockets

It's no ones business really. If its legal carry a hundred if it makes you happy!

Seven is a lot for me just because that's a lot of weight and I don't really need seven knives for what my EDC tasks are. Also I like to carry other things such as flashlights, multitools, ti pry bar, cigar cutter and lighters which leaves me rooms for only two knives.

I say two knives is perfect because just in case something happens to one, you have another ready for use. Also if someone asks for a knife ill give them my cheaper knife out of the two.

To answer you're question on why, i think its because generally we like to fondle and play around with our knives, and sometimes it gets boring with only one knife. Maybe that's why you end up with 7.

11. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

On my body when I'm conscious and sometimes when I'm not: Microtech SoCom Elite, ZT 0560, Sypderco Ladybug, Swiss Army Classic, Brous Silent Soldier. If you count the blade on a multitool, Leatherman Squirt PS4. A couple of fixed blades in my bag or on me in the woods varies among Becker BK2, Fallkniven A1 or S1, BRKT Canadian, Benchmade Adamas 375, Blackjack TacOps-4 Prototype. The Canadian is the only one always in my bag.

12. johndies

johndies Uber Prepared

Maybe a simpler question is "What is the highest number of knives that you have carried, without feeling the least bit odd?"
    I've been up to seven and it seemed perfectly reasonable although I excused it as a wardrobe malfunction. So I guess seven is too many.

13. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

• Folder IWB (trying something new today, it's usually clipped to my RF pocket or in the pocket sheath in RF pocket)
    • Vic Executive on the keychain in LF pocket (large and small blades)
    • Multitool on my belt

So, three knives or tools, four blades total.

I don't like using multitool blades instead of a real knife; other than the Wave/Charge, they just aren't convenient to deploy and use. And since I work in a corporate HQ and live in one of the most chicken-****** states in the Union, I like to have the Vic for use amongst people I don't know, to avoid stampedes.

(Oh, before I discovered the Executive, I used to schlepp a larger SAK or other slipjoint, with two or three blades. SO the count hasn't really changed in a long time.)

14. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

3 today...
    [​IMG]

15. MrGlockJock25

MrGlockJock25 Loaded Pockets

I carry three everyday,
    Southard Flipper
    Manbug G10
    Vic Classic

16. Avenal

Avenal Loaded Pockets

Normally 3 as well. ZT0350 or Tenacious on me, and a G10 Leek and Leatherman CX Skeletool in my bag.

17. Coupe_gxp

Coupe_gxp Uber Prepared

At least one ussually 2 or three. Right now it is this.

[​IMG]
    Untitled by zerosnipe, on Flickr

ste; likes this.
  18. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I stopped counting after :censored:... sooooo.... we'll go with "some."

Sometimes, the best way to deal with an addiction is to ignore it.

Sadly, there are 2 more knives that should be on my person that are currently in elsewhere... hopefully not for too much longer... than to be parted, nevermore.

ATB,
    Sam

johndies likes this.
  19. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

I try to limit myself to a couple dozen, but sometimes I go over, especially if you count multi-tools. Seven is about a pocket's worth.

johndies likes this.
  20. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Generally not big on flippers, but nice F3s. Mr. Curtiss makes a nice blade.

ATB,
    Sam

Kones likes this.