1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Multiple Copies of the same Knife?And Why?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by EZDog, Oct 25, 2016.

1. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I recently discovered and found a different version of my favorite EDC knife and am pretty excited about it too!
    I love the design and function of the platform of the knife but the scales on the original are pocket eaters to say the least and the new knife is about as perfect for me as can be so far with this one issue resolved with the scales.

So this all got me thinking or realizing that there are a few knives that I have somehow been gathering in multiples behind my own back for some reason?

I think I have been telling myself that once I find a model that I really like I should have backup of it in multiple locations just to be prepared somehow.
    I have several vehicles that I do drive all the time for different uses and also several trailers and RVs as well so it only seems prudent that I would have certain items living in each one that I am already up to speed with and can rely on as I already do in my EDC.

On the other hand if I already EDC these things why wouldn't I have them with me already anyway,see what I mean?!?

Anyway I know I am not alone with this and I don't consider myself a collector really either so maybe I am just a crazy prepper?

I can live with that!

2. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

I have a Leatherman Pocket Survival Tool I carry in my laptop bag 'cause I've always carried one since they first came out (but got tired of them wearing a hole in the pocket of my pants), and a second which I keep in the pouch of my (archery) field quiver 'cause it belonged to my Dad and that seems the safest place for it (and I don't take my laptop to the range).

3. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

I have multiple Para 2s, and multiple leatherman waves, just because I like them so much. With the Para 2's I think it's a backup thing like you said, just in case I loose one or it breaks I have another, but then I got carried away. I have multiple Victorinox pioneers as well because they are great little guys to just grab and go for lots of situations, just nice to have around.

4. Piester

Piester Loaded Pockets

At one point I had 3 cpm-d2 junkyard dogs. Mostly because I got them cheap ha. But also because I love them

5. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I found myself headed down a path of accumulation by default as I did some defacto research throughout the years. At one point, I saw a diminishing return of investment but a duplication of functionality in what I had acquired. It was mostly that I was trying to find a good keychain setup. My expenditure was minimal. I didn't succumb to that gun, knife, watch, pen "-of the week" pitfall that I see in some of the "My next..." threads around here.

I remember decades ago when we didn't have that many choices. Now, I firmly believe that we have far too many, overall; however, not enough of those of better quality that are still modestly priced to remain affordable.

Because of the once-dearth in choices years ago, my defacto buying habits has remained focused upon just a few product types by a few makers. This habit effectively narrows my selection criteria to those traditional designs with the focus on functionality while placing form largely in the background. This habit alone undermines much of the appeal of the variations of traditional designs; particularly then they are seemingly superfluous, gratuitous, and obtuse. I have few, if at all, "multiple copies" of any one object that is not disposable.

6. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

I started getting dups of my carry gun, knives, etc but stopped before I went overboard. In the beginning, it was more in case I wore out my primary. After running up to 50k rounds on guns, and 10+ years of use on knives, I'm actually enjoying the challenge now of trying to wear one out so I can feel like I really got my money's worth.

When I do feel the need to get a second knife, I try to find a different model so I can get a different experience. It's still an option in case one gets lost but allows me to try another brand/model of similar capabilities. I only buy now to replace one that gets lost, broken, or sold.

I have to admit though, I have been known to give one to my son, wife, or friend and then replace it with something shiny and new.

7. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

a few SRMs . i used them as a basis for my DIY adventures.

8. Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock Loaded Pockets

I tend to accumulate multiples of the things I like the best, be it guns, knives, lights, etc. Two is one, one is none- that kind of thing.

ran23, Gogogordy and Nick4305 like this.
  9. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

I headed down the path of accumulation for a while. In the past year I have been selling the items that I don't use.

For items that are easily replaceable I usually only have (1), unless I find a really good deal. Maybe I am not too far off the path of accumulation.

10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

While I don't have any actual duplicates, I have quite a few similar knives. Various SAK's differ from each other often by only a single tool; I have two Tinkers that differ based on scale color; an Alox Farmer and Pioneer-X that differ based on a single tool. Some Spydies which are of the same type but different blades. You get the picture. (Yeah, a bit of packrate genes in me somewhere! :) )

Some of these just are in the rotation for when I carry them. Others are pre-positioned, e.g., one in rotation, one in the car, etc etc

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Water-Rat likes this.
  11. Frailer

Frailer Loaded Pockets

You're certainly not alone.

Check the Alox Pox thread...

Gary Gross likes this.
  12. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

If I love the knife or tool enough and can afford a second one, I have no problem with having multiples. I've found that if I fall in love with a knife, it tends to get changed so I don't like it as much or it gets discontinued. So I have a tendency to get one to put back as a spare in case I lose, break, or wear out the first one.

Gogogordy likes this.
  13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pretty much what I tell myself too.

thatotherguy likes this.
  14. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

I have 2 ESSE 3's and 2 ESEE 4's. I found that they are awesome knives and I happened to win some backups in a raffle so I put them all to good use. They have all found a place in my different bags for different reasons. My 3 Mil is carried on me, my other 3 is in my grab and go bag. my 4 CP is in my EDC bag and my other 4 (which has orange G10 scales) is attached to my Hiking bag.
    While I could easily use just one 3 for all of these purposes. I find it better to have multiple knives so I don't need to only task one with doing ALL the work.

15. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

Always the chance that it could get stolen, lost or damaged so it seems reasonable to get a second one if it is something I am going to carry. If it is a model I really like I may get several for bags and such especially if it is reasonably priced like most SAKs. With limited run knives you almost have to buy two or more since they sell out and you can't easily get replacements.
    A good quality knife should always retain some value irregardless of the economy so that is another way I justify multiple knives. Since the spare often stays in a box or on the shelf it is something I could trade or sell in the future.

16. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

This sounds like the kind of thing I tell my wife. She's not buying it but she's not keeping track either.
    Thankfully!

Moshe ben David, ZMZ67 and EZDog like this.
  17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

As far as you know I bet.

18. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Touche'!

(She does balance the checkbook.....but not the Visa bill)

19. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

The wife doesn't say much so it is more "justification" for me than anything,I am discrete about my purchases though and don't complain too much about the her collection of shoes and purses either.;) Either way I like my arguments and if nothing else it will leave some nice keepsakes for my kids when I am gone.

bryan123 and Gogogordy like this.
  20. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

I get it. Ive told my wife to make certain my boys divvy equally.